Minnesota Babies
Options

Where to donate breast pump?

We are done having kids and I am purging my baby stuff.  I have a breast pump that I used with both kids and it worked great, but I don't want to just chuck it in the trash.  Does anyone know of a place to donate things like this?  Or do these even sell on Craigslist for cheap?

Re: Where to donate breast pump?

• Options
    I would donate to a women's shelter.  I know my church has a specific one they collect items for but I can't remember the name.
  • Options
    That's unsanitary. Gross.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used an Avent pump with my first. It worked beautifully for me but I know it's not a popular brand. Do you guys think shelters would still want it? I know it might sound silly, but if I walk in with a pump are they going to be like, "uh, that's not a medela..."
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    The Medelas are an open system and can technically transmit HIV, I'd be surprised if even a shelter would take it.  I'd offer it for free on Craigslist.  I think the  Avents are closed systems and can therefore be reused safely.
  • Options

That's unsanitary. Gross.

It all depends on if the pump is an "open" or "closed" system.  If it is an "open" system, then I'm in agreement, best to trash it or keep it on the back corner shelf in the unlikely event you find yourself with a "surprise!"...  Granted, some people would rather spend $50 on all new parts and not care, so you could post it on CL, but honestly, I wouldn't.  You don't want to put some other woman at risk of developing a bacterial infection (i.e. mastitis) with a used open system.  If the pump is a "closed" system, then you can donate it almost anywhere or sell it on Craigslist.  The women's shelters or places like Total Life Care Center might be your best bet in that you may be able to get a deduction out of the deal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"