Michigan Babies

OB recommendations in GR

We just found out we are expecting and we have no idea which ob or which hospital to deliver at. Can anyone offer any helpful recommendations? I would prefer a female, and I guess I should say that I have three family members who work at Spectrum, one actually works in the maternity floor, so I feel kind of hesitant to deliver there just because we would like to have some privacy. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you handle it?

Re: OB recommendations in GR

• I can totally understand that.  A good friend of mine worked at Metro and had 3 friends who were OB's, all of whom I saw regularly at GTG's, so I wanted to avoid that (nothing like strangers up in your business).  My doc was Spectrum though, so I didn't really have to worry.  Can you simply tell them you only want your H in your delivery room?  I told my family that, and it went over well.  I didn't even want my mom in the room (flameaway). I bet your family would totally understand.  No harm in being honest.  I said I'd call everyone when the baby was born.  *shrug*  That said, simply find a doctor who delivers at Metro or St. Mary's.  Look on the Metro Health network site to find a doc.  In the thread below I responded to something similar: I hear that Dr. Talcott on 44th is awesome.  I believe he delivers at Metro.  Male obviously, but I gotta say male OB's are better than women IMO.  More understanding and gentle.  The women OB's I've seen have more of a "suck it up butterbup" attitude, and the men actually seem to listen and care slightly more.  Not saying women are bad OB's, but if I had to pick, I'd take a male Dr. over female based on my experience. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been going to my OB/Gyn for over 15yrs. Their group works out of Metro. I see a male but I have heard great things about all of the providers. If you're interested in more information let me know... maybe you could schedule a "meet & greet"! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I went to West Michigan OB/GYN when I got pregnant and their office staff is HORRIBLE. When I got my positive I called Monday morning at 9 right when they opened and was on hold for 50 minutes I was fuming mad!! I went to Michigan OB/GYN and Loove them, they also partner with Metro! I feel like Metro is so much smaller. Going to spectrum stressed me and the DH out when we went to see our nephew I can't imagine how we would be under pressure!

BabyFetus Ticker

• I love the Women's Health Center. 555 Midtown. I also love the ObGyns in Dr. Michelle Klyn's office. :)
  • I just started with Dr Talcott and LOVE him!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Michelle Klyn is my doctor - first meeting/ultrasound with her in a month!
  • I go to st. Mary's obgyn and love it!
  • RaisingABuzzRaisingABuzz member
    edited September 2013
    Love Dr. VanSlooten, Dr. Rohn, and Dr. Dood at West Michigan OBGYN are fantastic.  I see Dr. VanSlooten and he is fantastic about not rushing you through your appointment like some do.  It is a big practice, but they have a smaller office in Grandville.  They deliver at Spectrum Health and I have had GREAT experiences there with both of my deliveries.  

My sister goes to Advantage Health OBGYN downtown GR and I have only heard great things from her about that office.

• For anyone else looking for an OB...Dr. Sharla Ulstad at the Women's Health Center is awesome! I am currently seeing her for my first pregnancy. I think she only delivers at Spectrum though. 
  • Metro told us they only transferred 8 babies to DeVos in all of 2013.

Made me feel a bit better.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I see Dr. Sharla Ulstead as well, and she is fantastic! She delivered both of my sister's sons, and my sister recommended her to me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"