March 2014 Moms

Did your water break?

SomersIslesSomersIsles member
edited December 2013 in March 2014 Moms
I had this INSANE dream last night that I was in the middle of teaching and I was being observed for an evaluation. In the middle of my lesson my water broke and it. would. not. stop. I left a massive trail of water as if I emptied gallon jugs all the way to the bathroom and we couldn't figure out how to get to L&D because I couldn't get off the toilet. The whole time I was relaying information to my school secretary so my students could continue their assignment lol. Well it got me thinking... what was it like, if at all, when your water broke??

Did your water break? 262 votes

It broke in public... it was OBVIOUS
0% 1 vote
It broke in public... only I noticed it
0% 1 vote
It broke in private (w DH is still private) during the day... if it were in public it'd be OBVIOUS
3% 9 votes
It broke in private (w DH is still private) during the day... only I noticed it
4% 11 votes
It broke while I was sleeping
6% 16 votes
I didn't even realize it broke
1% 5 votes
It didn't break
22% 59 votes
SS
7% 19 votes
Just the results
53% 141 votes

Re: Did your water break?

• Mine broke with DD while I was pushing, with DS right before I started pushing.  It often breaks during labor...I think only 20% of labors start with your water breaking on its own.  
    imageimage 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine did not break.  The doctor broke it at 6 cm. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mine broke once I already had the epi, so I wasn't sure, but I did feel the slight gush.  The nurse had to check to be sure.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Mine broke at 9pm while I was laying on the couch watching TV. Didn't even have contractions until an hour later. It was very surreal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The doctor broke my water at 5cm, after that my contractions really set in!
  • Mine broke with DD while I was pushing, with DS right before I started pushing.  It often breaks during labor...I think only 20% of labors start with your water breaking on its own.  

I was one of the 10-20% (the statistics seem to vary). It broke at home, so no embarrassing stories, haha.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It broke while the nurse was checking me ... I was already in labor at 6 cm dilated.
        image  image

• Mine broke at night! I got up to pee, came back to bed and was just drifting off when i felt a cramp, pop and GUSH.

And you guys, it was not a trickle. Dear lord. I was soaking through towel after towel on the way to the hospital. It was insane. I soaked my bed, pants, shoes, etc.

Then when I got there I heard the resident ask a nurse to run a test to make sure my water broke and I didn't pee myself and she just laughed and was like "uhhhh I promise her water broke....." LOL.

I have no idea it had something to do with twins? Like baby a's water broke but baby B was pushing down so it made it more? Or both broke? I have no idea to this day.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine broke at home.. a big huge gush of a wave.. when we got to L&D they asked me how I knew my water had broken, DH said "it was like the freakin movies" I wasn't only dilated 1cm so they induced me..

BabyFruit Ticker 
      image image
  • Laura8388 said:
    So question, how much "water" comes out in total? Like, a cup, or a liter, or..: how much do you think? Does it vary between people?
    I definitely think it varies, for me it *felt* like a gallon+! I mean, I'm not kidding, I was literally soaking through bath towels on the way down to the hospital.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Baby Girl #3!
  • SS--I was a scheduled CS
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I accidentally voted "it didn't break" but I'm an idiot. It broke as I was getting into an inflatable labor tub at the hospital. I had already been in labor for two days (at home) and was 6 or 7cm dilated. I'm glad it was in the tub because I hardly felt it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • Mine broke on its own after being on cyotec and pit induction for 9 hours while using the bathroom.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Broke at home but in the middle of the night. I was just about to pee so I was a little confused. Lol. Did I pee myself (again) or is this it??

• SS- I was induced and it broke during the induction a couple of hours after I had my epi.

Can't say how much water there was since I was on a hospital bed with a pad under me that I couldn't see lol.
    imageimage
  • Might broke in L&D triage. I was sitting on the bed with a large pad beneath me. At that point I didn't have panties on and was in a hospital gown. So I voted in private and only I noticed. The pad soaked it all up so I didn't feel a whole lot--just a gush of warmth and it was gone. I thought it felt kinda good lol. I said to DH, "oh, I think my water just broke." That was when the nurse returned and confirmed it.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• BabiesFTWBabiesFTW member
    edited December 2013
    Mine broke as soon as I stepped in the door after going out to dinner. It was obvious but just looked like a lot of water to me.. I don't know. DH got to clean it up. Bwahaha
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • I got up to pee in the middle of the night, laid back in bed, and it broke like 5 minutes later. People say it's usually a trickle, umm no , it was a huge gush and was everywhere! (Thank goodness we had a waterproof mattress cover!)

• I was sleeping on the couch and my water broke as I was rolling over. It was the weirdest feeling ever.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Mine broke in my kitchen while making dinner. I also felt a pressure, pop, and gush. Like a water balloon. It left a puddle on the floor.
  • Mine broke during labour at about 8cm and 30 minutes later I started pushing !
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Doc broke mine with DS. With DD, it broke as soon as I sat down on the hospital bed.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
  • I woke up at 6 am to pee (39w2d) and I used the last of the toilet paper to wipe. As I was replacing the roll, my water broke. Nice timing, huh? If I was up and around, I'm betting it would have been a small trickle.
    I'm a teacher too and worry it'll happen with students. I'm also farther away from the hospital. My principal swears he can get me there in 40 minutes flat. Since I've been told this one will most likely come faster, I need to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Now my new fear is my principal will have to deliver my baby on the side of the road.
    Married my best friend ~ May 31, 2008
    Adopted our furbaby Kona ~ January 17, 2010
    Trying to grow our family ~ June 2010

1st BFP 7.6.10 ~ EDD 3.15.11 ~ mmc 8.6.10 ~ d&c 8.11.10
    2nd BFP 11.4.10 ~ EDD 7.15.11 ~ HB 6w3d ~ No HB 7w ~ mmc 12.8.10 ~ d&c 12.9.10
    3rd BFP 7.12.11 ~ EDD 3.22.12 ~ HB 6w5d 124 bpm ~ Team Green ~ 
    SHE STUCK!
    4th BFP 6.20.13 ~ EDD 3.1.14 ~ HB 7w5d 153 bpm ~ A/S revealed due date possibly 2.23
    *~*~*~*EXPECT MIRACLES*~*~*~*
    Praying for peace in God's ultimate plan ~ "Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I woke up at 6 am to pee (39w2d) and I used the last of the toilet paper to wipe. As I was replacing the roll, my water broke. Nice timing, huh? If I was up and around, I'm betting it would have been a small trickle. I'm a teacher too and worry it'll happen with students. I'm also farther away from the hospital. My principal swears he can get me there in 40 minutes flat. Since I've been told this one will most likely come faster, I need to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Now my new fear is my principal will have to deliver my baby on the side of the road.
    Haha that would certainly make for an interesting story! 

My paranoia of having my water break in class is so extreme I'll probably wear a pad non stop close to my due date lol
  • WickedNE said:

In my first childbirth class though, they told us only 10% of women have their water break as the first sign of labor.

I'm one of those 10%! I had no other signs...only 30 minutes after it broke did I feel my first contraction!

SHE STUCK!
    4th BFP 6.20.13 ~ EDD 3.1.14 ~ HB 7w5d 153 bpm ~ A/S revealed due date possibly 2.23
    Praying for peace in God's ultimate plan ~ "Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

• @farmboyswife

Seriously, there are so many unknowns... I suppose if we dwell on them we'll just freak ourselves out for way longer than necessary.  Not to freak you out more, but that kinda happened to my friend, lol.....  She just barely made it to the hospital and had no warning prior to the start of labor.  She didn't plan on having a natural birth but it was so late in the game that she pretty much didn't have a choice!  I guess babies get delivered on the highway often and even they also turn out fine! haha

Are you far from the hospital?  I have some peace of mind because I work 5 minutes away and live 10 minutes away from where I'll be delivering. 
  • Mine broke at night! I got up to pee, came back to bed and was just drifting off when i felt a cramp, pop and GUSH.

And you guys, it was not a trickle. Dear lord. I was soaking through towel after towel on the way to the hospital. It was insane. I soaked my bed, pants, shoes, etc.

Then when I got there I heard the resident ask a nurse to run a test to make sure my water broke and I didn't pee myself and she just laughed and was like "uhhhh I promise her water broke....." LOL.

I have no idea it had something to do with twins? Like baby a's water broke but baby B was pushing down so it made it more? Or both broke? I have no idea to this day.
    Mine was the same way! Gallons came out of me. I was sleeping when it happened. It soaked absolutely everything and was still gushing out when we arrived at the hospital 20 minutes later. It was like someone overturned a water cooler in my pants. 

BTW- that pic of your girls is adorable. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mine was the same way! Gallons came out of me. I was sleeping when it happened. It soaked absolutely everything and was still gushing out when we arrived at the hospital 20 minutes later. It was like someone overturned a water cooler in my pants. 

BTW- that pic of your girls is adorable. 
    Now I feel inclined to get a waterproof mattress pad....
  • Mine never broke, even after 47 hours of labor and. 6 hours at 9 cms. I had waters of steel. ;)
  • My greatest fear was it breaking at work until my boss's broke at work.  She snapped for someone to have the front desk call someone to have it cleaned up, finished what she was doing, and left an hour later.  It really only made her more of a badass.
  • My greatest fear was it breaking at work until my boss's broke at work.  She snapped for someone to have the front desk call someone to have it cleaned up, finished what she was doing, and left an hour later.  It really only made her more of a badass.
    TBH she sounds kinda scary lol!
  • Mine broke in bed. I rolled over and felt a pop. I thought for a moment I should go back to sleep. Then I thought I should probably check. Luckily I had a huge bath towel next to the bed that I grabbed before standing up. I was leaking then a huge gush once I sat down on the toilet. Once it calmed down a pad worked to keep it contained. I never started contracting on my own so I was put on pitocin once I got to the hospital.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TBH she sounds kinda scary lol!
    She is... but in an awesome sort of way. :)
  • My doctor broke mine right before I started pushing. I was afraid of it breaking while I was teaching too! I still am kinda worried I guess!

• Only about 10% of people have their water break at home. Mine did, I was in bed watching a baby story and the woman was about to give birth and my son rolled over and hit me i the hip (with what I later found out was his elbow), and all of a sudden I felt a gush. I thought I had peed myself and then realized I hadn't and that it was my water when I went to the bathroom. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Mine didn't break until I was pushing.
    DS was actually born still in the sac with the amniotic fluid stil mostly in tact.

Our birth class teacher told us to keep some piddle pads in the car and some depends and a change of clothes at work in case our water broke. It definitely gave me a peace of mind knowing that if my water did break at least I had a change of clothes!
  • @FarmsBoysWife - From water breaking at 6 am, to being 5 cm by 8 am when I was checked in, to being ready to push a little after noon...I'm nervous!

I like how you are rocking back and forth.  I'm joining you.

SHE STUCK!

• Mine broke with a gush just after the admitted me to the hospital for contractions.  That's when my labor really got going.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"