Natural Birth
Options

Large head means more difficult delivery?

I won't rehash my whole sob story, but DD (my first) did not want to come out. My water broke and I finally had to be induced, and even then after many hours of strong contractions 3 minutes apart, I only progressed to 3cm and was in absolutely unbearable agony (and got an epidural). It was a strange pain compared to what others describe - it was focused entirely on my pubic bone and felt like I was being crushed under a truck. No shower, doula tricks, or meditation helped. I asked the midwife after the delivery what happened, and she said it seemed like DD may have been in a strange position and the turned face up at the end.

During my A/S ultrasound for LO #2 yesterday, it dawned on me that something else may have been at play. DD's head was 96th percentile when she was born (this LO is measuring 94th right now). Can that cause problems during delivery? Obviously anatomy and other factors come into play, but I'm wondering if these giant heads just don't fit well through my pelvis... I know our bodies aren't supposed to make babies we can't birth, but my husband's side of the family all have big heads!

Re: Large head means more difficult delivery?

• Options
    I agree with pp that it would positioning more than anything.  
  • Options
    I also agree that head size is less of a factor than positioning.  Both of my babies had 99th percentile heads - Callum came out pretty easily.  E got a bit stuck at the shoulders (head was no problem) but that was quickly resolved by going to hands and knees.  I wouldn't worry about size!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with position over size since my LO was in the 47th percentile for head and we still had issues because of position. I'll also echo spinning babies as a wonderful source.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PPs it is more about the position of the baby than the size of the head. I had a rough delivery with my first and decided to do some research on OFP (optimal fetal position). I came across spinningbabies.com and did their exercises all through my second pregnancy. DS's head was in the 95th percentile and I was able to deliver him much easier than my DD who had an average size head circumference. I would also recommend researching different positions for pushing. Pushing while on hands and knees can open your pelvis up almost 2 more inches. Laying on my side worked great for me and squating is also a great option for opening your pelvis and shortening your birth canal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"