Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Advice for giving eye drops?

Just started giving my 9 mo eye drops 3 times a day for conjunctivitis. So far, my DH and I have barely been able to do it together. Tomorrow, DH will be gone most of the day and I'll have to give the drops on my own. Any tips for how to hold her down AND actually get the drops in the vicinity of her eyeballs?

Re: Advice for giving eye drops?

• Options
    What worked well when my son was a baby was to get him mesmerized by a toy and then put a drop in while he was staring at it. Then repeat. I used his seahorse that glowed and played music. It's worth a try. My son always fell for it, but my daughter probably would not.
  • Options
    Blow in her face.  It'll make her close her eyes and then drip it into the inner corner of her eye.  When she opens her eyes, it'll naturally pull into her eye.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Mainly, don't worry about her eye being open.  Just get it in the corner of her eye near the nose, as the PP said when they open the eye it will get pulled in.  If needed you can lie her on the floor/bed and sit facing her with her legs pointing at you.  Put your leg up and over her chest pinning her arms down.  It keeps them still long enough to get the drops in then sing/talk play with them for 2min while they stay lying down.  Give something new to hold on to that will help distract.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"