Pre-School and Daycare

Holiday gifts for pre-school teachers

Forgive me, this is the first year DD is in school around the holidays.  Help me figure this out.  She was in early pre-school (3 year olds) and moved up to older preschool (3.5-4) begining of Nov.  She only goes 2 days a week.  Each room has 2 teachers, but I really didn't like the teacher from early pre-school and neither did DD.  Do I give a gift to both classes, or only the teachers in the class she's in now?  And what is an appropriate gift?  Food (cookies)?  Something small from the store?  I guess I have to get used to this stuff now.  TIA!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Holiday gifts for pre-school teachers

• I think you're safe to give only to the teachers she has right now.  

Speaking as a teacher, know that this is truly a situation where "it's the thought that counts."  YOu don't have to spend a ton of money on teacher gifts.  You can get both teachers in the room a small gift card to Target, a book store, Starbucks, etc., and they'll be happy.

Generally, gift cards are good; candles and knick-knacks are bad.  I LOVE receiving handmade artwork, cards, and notes from my students.  I save every one I receive.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I agree I think it's fine to do just her current teachers.

Speaking as a former teacher gift cards are wonderful, with something like Starbucks or Dunkin Doughnuts you wouldn't really have to spend a lot, $5 would treat them to a cup of coffee.  

Then if you want something a little more personal you could always do something like this:
    That way your daughter could help.  I had DD do something similar for our next door neighbor, she always gets the kids gifts and I wanted DD to be able to do something for her.  I don't really know our neighbor that well, so this seemed like a good idea.  I was able to buy single mason jars from Michael's but I'm sure they are also sold elsewhere.  

• Loading the player...
  • My daughter made them each a card (she has two teachers) and I put a gift card to our local coffee shop in the card. I wanted to get my daughter in on the gift so she learns the spirit of giving.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think just the teachers she has now is fine.  I'm all for consumables not knick knacks.  My boys have 4 teachers.  Fridays the kids have a 1/2 day, but the teachers a full day and I know sometimes they get lunch so I'm buying them a GC to the local pizza place where they get salads, etc.  They also painted each of them an ornament that will have their picture on it.

• I would give something to the teachers she has now (both of them). I'm giving gift cards to Michael's because I know they spend personal money on supplies so that will help with that. I'm also including something that DD picked out for each teacher, which is a small letter that is the first letter of their name. She's really into her letters, so I think it's an appropriate gift from her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the great ideas!  Gift cards it is.  I can totally understand how the knick-knacky things can get real old.  I appreciate all the feedback!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2013
    I'm planning on having DD1 make a card for both her teacher and the preschool aide and including a GC in each. I haven't decided exactly where I'm going to get the GC from yet.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would only do the classroom she's in now.  For DS I'm giving each of his teachers a $10 Barnes & Nobel gift card and a Mrs. Prindable apple.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"