Preemies
Options

Stuffy nose

Hey! My son is now 10weeks and 2 days old. He was born at 32 weeks. He has had a stuffy nose for 8 weeks now and it seems like nothing I do helps it. I've tried humidifier, saline drops, infant Vicks rub. Nothing helps. When he's sleeping and trying to breath you can hear all the crap in his nose and throat where it's like drainage but when I use the bulb syringe I get NOTHING! Then he starts grunting when it gets hard for him to get good deep breaths. Anyone else had this problem? Anyone else have any other suggestions?? Thank you!

Oh and he also has extreme reflux and is on Prevacid. Could reflux be causing the stuffy nose?

Re: Stuffy nose

• Options
    My son sounded conjested and I could never get anything with the bulb syringe either! His doctor said its normal and he isn't sick. Something about his ear/nose/throat still being under developed. Same with the hiccups. I guess they grow out of it eventually. We run a Vicks humidifier all night anyway. I like the smell and it makes me feel like I'm doing something.
  • Options
    I second the Nosefrida.  I use it for my 11 weeker (born at 27w).  It works much better than the bulb. I use saline with it as well to break up the stuff before I suck it out.  

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD2 had congestion FOREVER. It was a result of the reflux -- so bad, they thought she was getting sick multiple times in the NICU, ordering full work-ups. Everything always came back clean. They tried to minimize the suctioning, since all that irritation caused the nasal passages to swell and make things worse....lots of saline, she slept in the bouncer for the first few weeks after coming home, and they finally prescribed Zantac for her around discharge (her due date), which gradually really improved her reflux discomfort, and (eventually) the chronic congestion.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Note - we also use the Nose Frida at home, but still try to minimize frequency of use to avoid irritating their little noses.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My LO has severe reflux as well and was always sounding congested and stuffed up. I believe it lasted for the first couple of months and eventually just went away on it's own. It is a symptom of reflux. We didn't do much other than have him on an incline, ran the humidifier all the time and sucked his nose occasionally. I don't think anything really helped except time.
  • Options
    Nosefrida and saline worked best for us when Anna had a col. She hates it but it got more out than the bulb. Also, sucking slowly got more out than one big suck. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"