One & Done: Only child

Birth Control/Sterilization Options

I wasn't sure where to post this. I don't fit in this group, but thought you might have some helpful insight. I'm almost 28 and am "two and done"...not by choice. Medically it'd be very dangerous for me or another LO to be pregnant. Dr highly recommended that I not get pregnant again. So like it or not, I really need to find the solution. I have an appointment Friday to get the Essure, but I'm feeling conflicted. There are women who experience a lot of pain and issues with this and while it's a rare occurrence, my body is so sensitive that I'm afraid I'd become one of those statistics. So, ladies. What have you done to ensure you're done? I read that getting your tubes tied still leaves you with a 13/100 chance of getting pregnant. TIA for helping out a stranger who doesn't belong on your board! :)
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Birth Control/Sterilization Options

• DH is getting a vasectomy when the new insurance kicks in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH will also get a vasectomy.

I've already been through pregnancy, childbirth, and a rough post-partum recovery. I don't feel I need to be the one to go through another potentially painful procedure - DH can share some of the pain!

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Loading the player...
  • DH will also get a vasectomy.

I've already been through pregnancy, childbirth, and a rough post-partum recovery. I don't feel I need to be the one to go through another potentially painful procedure - DH can share some of the pain!

Same here.  DH offered since I have been through so much.  We will be doing it in about 1 or 2 years.

• Your statistics on tubal effectiveness are incorrect. "The cumulative 10-year probability of pregnancy following tubal ligation was 18.5 per 1000 procedures (95% confidence interval [CI], 15.1–21.8). " (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2492586/) Vasectomy is more effective, but only if it's appropriate in your circumstance. (Doing both would be most effective of all.)
    IMG_8355
  • kristennd said:
    DH is getting a vasectomy when the new insurance kicks in.

My DH is getting one very soon as well....

• Well... we're pretty crunchy, if that's the right word. I'm very opposed to putting something foreign in my body (hormonal birth control, mirena, paragard, essure, and the like). I'm also not keen on getting my tubes tied. It seems kind of crazy to have a surgery, with all the risks of surgery, to mess with my insides. I dunno.

Dh was planning to get a vasectomy, but the more we looked into it, the more opposed we became. This article kind of pushed us over the edge of anti-vasectomy.

So we do a combination of 3 types of "birth control" that I don't see us quitting with anytime soon. We practice withdrawal most often. We have been using that method for close to 8 years now. I got pregnant when, well, dh didn't withdrawal. It was a calculated risk, lol. Oops. I also chart now, to avoid "calculated risks". And we also use condoms from time to time.

If I were to somehow get pregnant, I'm honestly not sure what we would do. We'd think on it, for sure. I am very pro-choice, but I can't for certain say I would immediately go that route. It'd be something to think on.
  • Dh had a vasectomy 2.5 years ago. The procedure was very quick and recovery was easy. He didn't even take Tylenol the day after. It took three check ups to make sure the swimmers were gone. I am really glad that he offered to do it. It makes life much easier. DH and I would recommend it to anyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Exactly what Tink said. My H will be getting a vasectomy in 2014. He has his consult Thursday. I've been through enough! I currently have the Mirena and absolutely hate it. I'm going to get it removed as soon as they confirm at the follow up that the vasectomy was effective.
  • I guess I should clarify...have the Mirena surgically removed. I can't warn people away from it enough!
  • Thanks for all the input, ladies! We're still undecided but I think we're leaning towards vasectomy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I guess I should clarify...have the Mirena surgically removed. I can't warn people away from it enough!
    Yipes!  I had mine put in today.  What made you dislike it so much?

Yipes!  I had mine put in today.  What made you dislike it so much?

TMI: I bled nearly every day for about 8 months after getting it. My period is completely erratic now. I have developed several large ovarian cysts since having it. One cyst they had to treat hormonally and ultrasound twice to make sure it was shrinking. I get horrible cramps from it. I went to have it removed several months ago and the doctor couldn't find the strings. They had to ultrasound me again to make sure it was still in my uterus which thankfully it was! It will need to be surgically removed and the insurance estimate for that surgery was $750 (I'm waiting until 2014 for my FSA to roll over). By the time it's out this will have turned into a $1300 investment!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"