Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Solids?

Hi Ladies,
     Im from the 3-6mon board and the Aug 2013 board and I just want some opinions from some ladies who are going through this or have gone through it. i was wondering how you started introducing solids. I heard that you should do one fruit or veggie at a time for like 10 days or something? I don't know. Pedi isn't much help on specifics. How did you start? what did you start with? How much? How did you progress? Etc. Im also going to post this on the6-9 mon board and another bumpie posted a similar question so hoping for some help 

TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Solids?

• Options
    It's recommended to introduce one new food at a time for a few days (we waited 3), in order to watch for allergies. We started with veggies, then added in fruits and mixed purées. We didn't do the puréed meats because they gross me out, but around 8 months, we starting giving her little pieces of meat (like shredded chicken or carved turkey). As for the amount, I let her nurse first, then let her eat as much as she wanted of the solids. She would either turn her head away or stop opening her mouth for the spoon when she was full.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    lbonga1 said:
    It's recommended to introduce one new food at a time for a few days (we waited 3), in order to watch for allergies. We started with veggies, then added in fruits and mixed purées. We didn't do the puréed meats because they gross me out, but around 8 months, we starting giving her little pieces of meat (like shredded chicken or carved turkey). As for the amount, I let her nurse first, then let her eat as much as she wanted of the solids. She would either turn her head away or stop opening her mouth for the spoon when she was full.
    All of this! And to not waste very much, put just a little bit of the baby food in a bowl and feed your LO out of that. At first they only take three or four bites and most of it ends up on their bib. So there is no sense in wasting an entire container. 

Remember food before one is just for fun!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do BLW with our DD.  At 6 months we started offering her soft foods like bananas and avacodos that she could eat herself.  She really didn't have any interest in solids until around 8 months, at 9.5 months she doesn't eat much but she loves the process of eating and exporing her foods.  Now we just give her bite size pieces of whatever we are eating and she feeds herself.  She loves chicken and steak, but doesn't swallow those a whole lot, just gums them upand sucks the juices out.  Greens beans and asparagus are the easist veggies for her to feed herself and she will finish those completely.  Pasta anything, cheerios and whole grain waffles are her favorite breakfast foods.  With foods like yogurt or oatmeal, we will dip something like a rice cracker or graham cracker so she can still feel herself, or do preloaded spoons.  We ahve offered her some homemade purees and she wants nothing to do with them, lucky us, because BLW so easy and next to her older cousins its great to watch out ahead her self feeding skills are. 

• Options
    I started with oatmeal at 4.5 months (my pedi okay'd it). By the time she was 6 months we decided to go towards more baby led weaning. We work full time so I do have purees that we use in a pinch. I never did wait the recommended 2-3 day period. But also, my daughter never had any reactions to anything.
  • Options
    We started solids with baby led weaning at 6 months. We started with bananas, avocado then steamed veggies. It took about 2 months for DD to actually start eating any real quantities. We don't have any food allergies in our families so we didn't do the whole wait 3 days before introducing new foods. We just gave her whatever we were eating (cooked with no salt) from the beginning.
  • Options
    How did you start?
    at 6 months I started making her purees. I just sat her in her high chair, and offered her some watery pureed squash.
     what did you start with? 
    squash
    How much?
    I had purchased a thing of squash first to give her and to see the consistency. after we finished it, i washed it out and would use again. i only fed her though until she turned her head, pushed the spoon away, closed her lips, etc
    How did you progress?
    one new puree a week until we made th move to BLW. Now, I just give her some of my food and she eats until she's full. She's started (very early, but the pedi approves) to make the move towards decreasing her formula intake and increasing her solids
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    edited December 2013
    lica001 said:

We started solids with baby led weaning at 6 months. We started with bananas, avocado then steamed veggies. It took about 2 months for DD to actually start eating any real quantities. We don't have any food allergies in our families so we didn't do the whole wait 3 days before introducing new foods. We just gave her whatever we were eating (cooked with no salt) from the beginning.

This for us as well! We also gave whole scrambled egg. I'm a huge fan of BLW. Our lo will try anything and she is a fantastic eater. Our pedi was shocked at the foods she eats (all with no teeth :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    We started at 6 months with veggie purees first, then fruits at 7 months and proteins at 8 months.  I also just started giving Cheerios at 8.5 months.  Do a food for 2-3 days then you can introduce something new.  LOs poop will change - you'll definitely be able to tell what they ate!  Don't be alarmed.  I've also found that DD loves to eat when everyone else is eating (at restaurants or family dinners) so try to always have something with you or go the BLW route.  Solids are so much fun!!
  • Options
    We started BLW at around 6 months with my son. With my DD we did the more traditional way at first and ditched it by 8 months for finger foods as they are just easier. So when my son was 6 months old we skipped all puree and cereals and did real food. He ate whatever we ate and if we ate something not safe or not good for him he'd get some soft fruit and some steamed veggies. It took him a few months to figure it out and really eat, but once he did he thrived on it! He isn't picky at all, loves food, and has amazing eating skills now. The whole point of foods before 1 year is to teach them how to chew and allow them to learn tastes and textures. I don't feel you get that with purees. It also has the benefits of being easier since you don't have to feed them while your meal gets cold and it lessens the power struggles. I put food on his tray and eat my dinner.

We started with soft spear shaped foods (banana's, avocado, sweet potato fries, broccoli, carrots). We do not wait for allergies. Mostly because we have zero allergies in the family and new studies show the delay of foods have zero impact on reactions. So, he gets whatever we eat minus honey and lose nuts. It's just so much easier that way. He has had some reactions to things (dairy, corn, and pineapple), but they were easy to tell. Since he eats our regular food so much when he finally does have something new it's easy to tell.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We started oatmeal at 4 mos. DH is a pedi and an allergist and they have seen the least amount of food allergies when foods are introduced between 4-6 mos. Once he was good at eating the oatmeal (that took about 3 times), we started on veggies and fruits. I have 2 amazing eaters (as in, they will try anything and they eat a lot) and definitely attribute it to early introduction of a variety of foods.
  • Options
    kmc84 said:
    This for us as well! We also gave whole scrambled egg. I'm a huge fan of BLW. Our lo will try anything and she is a fantastic eater. Our pedi was shocked at the foods she eats (all with no teeth :)
    Us too.  I have no reason to suspect that he has any food allergies and he eat anything and everything except honey. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"