3rd Trimester
Options

Pelvic Pain and Trouble Walking

I'm 34, almost 35 weeks pregnant and experiencing some pretty severe pelvic pain.  On Monday, I had pains shooting through my abdomen from my belly button down to my lady parts.  I was told that it was growing pains and I was checked at my most recent appointment to see if I was dilated, I was not but apparently baby is head down already and moving in the right direction.  I'm measuring on track for my Jan. 20th due date as well.

I can barley stand up or walk sometimes because the pain is so severe, it's almost impossible to get comfortable enough to sleep and no matter what I do the pain does not go away.  I've read a little about this and some people say you just have to deal with it for the rest of the pregnancy.  Has anyone else experienced this issue and do you have any tips to help with the discomfort?  I don't have another appointment with my midwife till December 27th. 

Met DH: 2.5.2008
Engaged: 4.9.11
Married: 9.22.12
Baby Girl J Born: 1.23.2014 via c section - Due with Baby #2: 5.27.2016

Re: Pelvic Pain and Trouble Walking

• Options
    MrsHoward913MrsHoward913 member
    edited December 2013

I am having a similar problem! Mine is with my right hip and tailbone... I also have sciatica, which I had pre-pregnancy and has gotten worse the further along. I will be 30 weeks this Saturday. I was a stomach sleeper my entire life until pregnancy. Thankfully I am still able to sleep on my back. This helps me tons! I have a snoogle body pillow that i use under my head and wrap around to under my thighs. When laying on my back I try to lay with my right leg "open" not sur ehow to discrube it but my leg is pent and opened to the side. This helps releive the pressure and pain that I am having with my right hip and my terrible sciatica! Walking is the worst! There have been a few times where I "get stuck" and cannot move because it hurts so bad to put my foot down to walk. I get pre-natal massages about every 3-4 weeks. I let my therapist know about my sciatica and she tried something on my that worked for a few weeks. Thankfully I go back to see her on Monday! But, lay in bed flat on your back with your knees bent and feet flat. Have your signifigant other or a friend place a pillow between your knees and squeeze as hard as you can with your knees. When I did this it got my very low back to crack and helped a ton with the sciatic pain! Maybe this will work for you too!?

I go to see my midwife today and I am going to check with her about this and some other options. If I get any tips I will share with you! Good luck!

• Options
    Thank you so much!!!!!  I have been sleeping with a body pillow and I was always a stomach sleeper as well, which is pretty much impossible now.  I think it might be time for another prenatal massage, it's been a while since I had one.  Thanks for the tips and advice it is much appreciated!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it is really common. My chiropractor has helped me a ton, though, and they may be able to give you some stretches to help a bit.
  • Options
    Only here to tell you I'm in the same boat. With my first it was terrible sciatica and back pain from early on. Didn't fully go away after birth and it took me a year or so to realize I needed insoles. That has fixed that problem. This time, I'm having crazy round ligament pain and am currently barely able to walk. It's terrible. I have two older kids, one of whom is 16 months and requires a lot of picking up, and I'm ending every day in tears. I'm 38 weeks today and this baby can't come soon enough. I have a pregnancy support belt which helped for a while, but now seems to be useless. Good luck! If you can, I would try the support belt and/or insoles, especially if you're still early.
  • Options
    I am going through the same thing. I am almost 38 weeks and have been dealing with this since about 33-34 weeks. The only thing that helps me most is sitting on an exercise ball. Dr told me should go away after baby. But also perscribed me a pain killer allowed for pregnancy that I take at night to help me sleep. Good luck!!
  • Options
    apostle85 said:
    I'm 34, almost 35 weeks pregnant and experiencing some pretty severe pelvic pain.  On Monday, I had pains shooting through my abdomen from my belly button down to my lady parts.  I was told that it was growing pains and I was checked at my most recent appointment to see if I was dilated, I was not but apparently baby is head down already and moving in the right direction.  I'm measuring on track for my Jan. 20th due date as well.

I can barley stand up or walk sometimes because the pain is so severe, it's almost impossible to get comfortable enough to sleep and no matter what I do the pain does not go away.  I've read a little about this and some people say you just have to deal with it for the rest of the pregnancy.  Has anyone else experienced this issue and do you have any tips to help with the discomfort?  I don't have another appointment with my midwife till December 27th. 

I have no tips, but that's been me for the past month or 2.  It's just where your LO is laying.  It's really uncomfortable and I find it painful most of the time.  Sometimes I have to stop walking.  Nothing really seems to work.  Drinking ice cold water sometimes helps get him moving, even a millimeter change in position can help.  Hopefully, your LO moves
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i have bouts with this also. i talked to my doctor about it a few times and the last time she told me to try a pain releiving cream, she recommended tylenol (they recently came out with a cream). i was unable to find it and asked about other options, she said as long and the cream does not have asprin in it, it was ok to use. so i went back to the drug store and read lots of labels. most of the lables said to ask a doctor before use if pregnant even if they did not contain asprin, BenGay was the only one that did not mention consulting the doctor before use, so i bought it and had DH rubdown my hips in the back and on the sides. it helped the first night, did this 2 more nights and have been mostly pain free since. i have a day here and there where it acts up again but i keep the bengay on the night stand so i can reach it if needed. Good Luck
    I have some bengay at home from when I hurt my back before I was pregnant, I will be trying that again tonight!  It even has a nice scent for night time :) 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it is really common. My chiropractor has helped me a ton, though, and they may be able to give you some stretches to help a bit.
    I'm not sure why but I have always been afraid to go to a chiropractor, I hate the sound of bones cracking and it just freaks me out!  Maybe I should try another pregnancy massage. 
  • Options
    I had severe pelvic pain with my last pregnancy. It lasted from 28 weeks until 39 weeks when I delivered. It was worse then being in labor at times. Do you have a maternity support belt? My OB recommended that. Other than that there really was not much that helped the pain at all.
  • Options
    It's called Pelvic Girdle Pain or Symphasis Pubic Disorder. I had it pretty bad with my first and now with my second pregnancy. I have found that specialized chiropractic and physical therapy helps. It doesn't solve it, but can bring you comfort. As PP suggest, keep your hips aligned as much as possible. It's super uncomfortable. I was so uncomfortable for months, then last week (37 weeks) my baby dropped and I feel normal! Maybe that will happen for you. I think her dropping into the pelvis has stabilized it enough. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"