Adoption
Options

I agreed to be on an adoption panel

Our caseworker asked me today if I would be part of an adoption webinar for prospective adoptive parents interested in adopting older children or those with special needs.  I told her I'd be thrilled to be involved, but that I would have to be honest about our difficulties as well as our successes and happiness.  Apparently, that's what they want.

Because they are noticing that international adoptions are becoming more and more about older/special needs adoptions, they want to help their interested families get a better understanding of what that means.  They understand it's scary, but also share my belief that the most important thing is that families completely understand the risks and that there is no way to know for sure what you are getting into.  All that they asked is that I present an honest, balanced view of our story.

I'm excited...and a bit nervous.  I've been so mired in our latest battle that I'm afraid I'll have a hard time portraying the wonderful side.  My boys have been a miraculous addition to our lives, and bring us so much love and joy.  I just hope that comes through while I'm also trying to paint a realistic picture of our story.

Re: I agreed to be on an adoption panel

• Options
    You'll do great. You are always so good about posting the good AND the bad here, and I think that will definitely come through.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't think of a more appropriate advocate!  You will be great.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    Good luck!  Let us know how it goes! :) 

J&B // Married 9/19/09
    J: 28 // B: 32 

TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)
    November 2013: Applied & Accepted by the Agency
    January 2014: Home Study, education class, Profiles
    February 2014: "Officially Waiting"
  • Options
    It sounds like a good fit and something that will be valuable for those in your audience.
    10/27/07
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone.  You flatter me.

The panel is in mid-January.  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"