Babies: 9 - 12 Months

9 month waking in the middle of the night

Ok moms I need some help. Our 9 month daughter use to sleep through the night but now for the past week or so she has been waking up between 1-3 and won't go back to sleep right away. We sometimes let her cry and see if she falls back to sleep by herself but if she doesn't we try rocking her back to sleep and sometimes that works but sometimes she will wake up again when we put her back down in the crib. Could this be the 9 month sleep regression or could it be a sign of teething? I would really her to sleep through the night again. Any advice?

Re: 9 month waking in the middle of the night

• I donno but I would so trade you places.  My 9 month old is working on her 3rd tooth and she is up every 30min crying in pain.  All it takes is for me to roll over and snuggle her to get her back to sleep but every 20-30minutes alllll night long she wakes crying.  It's not an I'm awake cry it's a pained whimpering cry. 

It sucks...my brain hurt so much this morning from having no sleep over 30min.  But, man it's gotta suck even more to be my daughter.  This is exactly how she was with each of her other 2 teeth.  Sadly, likely how she will be with all her remaining teeth.  I get through it by lying to myself and saying this is the last tooth she'll every get.  It' almost helps...almost.

Anyways...I would put it to teething and I would count myself soooo lucky you get a good chunk of sleep because it could be much worse!! 

This too shall pass...

• try giving baby advil before bed and see if that helps---if so, you know its from teething. Does she use any type of lovie or blankie or anything? We wound up throwing 5 pacifiers in DS's crib so when he wakes up whining he can usually find one and put himself back to sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • =Lee=B said:

I donno but I would so trade you places.  My 9 month old is working on her 3rd tooth and she is up every 30min crying in pain.  All it takes is for me to roll over and snuggle her to get her back to sleep but every 20-30minutes alllll night long she wakes crying.  It's not an I'm awake cry it's a pained whimpering cry. 

It sucks...my brain hurt so much this morning from having no sleep over 30min.  But, man it's gotta suck even more to be my daughter.  This is exactly how she was with each of her other 2 teeth.  Sadly, likely how she will be with all her remaining teeth.  I get through it by lying to myself and saying this is the last tooth she'll every get.  It' almost helps...almost.

Anyways...I would put it to teething and I would count myself soooo lucky you get a good chunk of sleep because it could be much worse!! 

This too shall pass...

This is us...exactly.  I got her an amber teething necklace, and I honestly think it helps.  Instead of waking every 30-45 mintues, she sleeps 2-3 hours at a time.  She still wakes up a lot every night, but she normally goes right back to sleep (with my boob in her mouth, of course).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry Mamas!!!! I am kind of going through the same thing but I co sleep/bed share. My daughter is getting 4 teeth!!! Her top teeth are all coming at the same time :(
  • Whenever my son has had a bad week or 2 of sleep, I wonder if he is teething or getting a cold or something, and 9 times out of 10 he ends up getting back on track with his sleep and I never figure out what the heck it was all about. It reminds me a little of being stuck in a traffic jam and it sucks sooo bad and you are dying to know wht the holdup is, and then eventually everyone just picks up speed and there's nothing to see, and you're like, "What the heck just happened??"
  • My 9 month old is still waking once in the middle of the night for a feeding.  She went a week or two some months back where she was sleeping through the night but that didn't last long.  Could your LO be hungry?
  • Nicb13 said:

Whenever my son has had a bad week or 2 of sleep, I wonder if he is teething or getting a cold or something, and 9 times out of 10 he ends up getting back on track with his sleep and I never figure out what the heck it was all about. It reminds me a little of being stuck in a traffic jam and it sucks sooo bad and you are dying to know wht the holdup is, and then eventually everyone just picks up speed and there's nothing to see, and you're like, "What the heck just happened??"

Great analogy!

I second that
    Me: 30 | DH:34
    Married: 08/04/12
    DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
    DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

• I have noticed that a day where my DD sleeps through her afternoon snack she gets hungry in the middle.of the night. Ill give her 4-5oz and she goes right back to sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"