October 2012 Moms
Options

WWYD? - re:baptism

JoNi2010JoNi2010 member
edited December 2013 in October 2012 Moms
None of my family or close friends are religious so I've never been to a baptism.  So this is the first time I got an invite to one (my friend is having one).  I don't know how it usually works but on her invite, there is a brunch at 10:30am and then the baptism starts at like 1:30 or 2pm.  This is kind of a long day for me and the LO (cannot get a sitter that long, and would ruin his nap!) 

So my question(s) to you guys is this - Is it rude to go to the brunch and not the baptism (I will still bring a gift)?  If I decide to decline altogether, do I still have to give her a gift?  And what gifts are customary for baptism?

Sorry if I sound naive!!  TIA!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Why don't you ask your friend? Say you'd love to come and celebrate, but can't attend both - which would she prefer you to attend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JoNi2010JoNi2010 member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for all your input!!  I just sent a $50 gift to her (just for the newborn, separate fro baptism) and will be making a trip to visit her too to see the baby.  So maybe I'll send a small gift for the baptism.  I just feel like there is a gift associated with every occasion now whether you attend or not! 
  • Options
    JoNi2010 said:
    Thanks for all your input!!  I just sent a $50 gift to her (just for the newborn, separate fro baptism) and will be making a trip to visit her too to see the baby.  So maybe I'll send a small gift for the baptism.  I just feel like there is a gift associated with every occasion now whether you attend or not! 
    I feel like you don't need to send an additional gift. You've done plenty. I'd never send another gift. 

• Options
    I'm not totally sure on this, but it might be more socially acceptable to skip the brunch and go to the baptism... anyone? I was raised catholic but I'm not exactly a social grace buff. :p
    I was thinking this too, the baptism is the reason for the luncheon.  If I was in the situation I would go to the church only.  I would feel like I missed the best part of the day and I was only there for food.  

In our family we do money, unless, the child is your god child, then we do something religious (cross necklace, bible etc).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hubby and i are Baptist we got gifts didnt expect it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think that's silly. If I'm not going to something, I don't send a gift. That's just me. Maybe I'm rude. :p
    DH and I agree with you that it's silly and if they were really our friends they would be okay with no gift if we did not go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"