Central Florida Babies

Who has used a birthing center in Florida?

I was planning on using Heart 2 Heart in Sanford. It is close to home, hospital, and my insurance told me they would cover 100%. It was a no-brainer. I went for a tour and consult, and everyone seemed lovely and I liked the facility. My initial visit is next week, and I called my insurance today to verify what I had been told previously. I was told that they didn't have any in-network approved birth centers in my area, and that if I wanted to use a birth center, that the center would have to submit a request for authorization and maybe they would approve.

I called Heart 2 Heart and the billing person looked into it for me. She called my insurance company and got them to verify that they DID cover me and that all I would owe is a $40 copay on my first visit - beyond that they covered 100%. Then the billing girl says "Now, you were told at your consult about the $200 registration fee right?". Ummm, No?! She then explained they charge a $200 fee for paperwork processing, materials, and other administrative costs associated with my care and they do not bill that to insurance. That seems bizarre to me - all administrative work is wrapped into the total cost of care from what I understand, which is billable to insurance.

Is this type of fee common at all birthing centers or is this facility specific? Has anyone else had to pay something like this? If I can get coverage at another birth center that doesn't charge the fee is it worth shopping around a little more?

Re: Who has used a birthing center in Florida?

• I'm sorry you dont agree with their fee. They are a wonderful group of ladies. I have been with them this entire pregnancy and witnessed a few go through delivery with them. I hope you reconsider using H2H.

The only other birth centers I know of around my area (Apopka) are Winter Garden and Winter Park. You can check with them to see their policies and fees.
  • I loved Inspiration Birth Center in Winter Park. We had a wonderful water birth there.
    Off BCP 1/09 ~ TTC actively since 4/09 ~ Metformin 4/09 ~ BFP Father's Day 09 ~ Loss 6/09 ~ RE testing, HSG, and more: 10/09 ~ 2010: testing year while still TTC. SA for hubby good ~ 2011: Labs show no insulin issues once again, but started 4/11 Glucophage XR 750 mg for other PCOS symptoms. Took a break in second half of 2011 with meds due to career change, hoping for BFP naturally. ~ Began Met again 1/12, then ended due to nausea ~ 06/12: Lost weight, working out, on Femara. BFP on 6/28/12!
    Beta #1 6/29: 56 Beta #2 7/9: 6,346
    imageDiagnosed 2009, but kinda knew all along
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"