Two Under 2
Options

Family trip or not???

We're thinking about a family trip. We loooove cruises, never beed with kids. Bad Idea?

Re: Family trip or not???

• Options
    We went on a family cruise when DD1 was 13mo, and by family I mean me/DH, my parents and my sister/bro-in-law with the 1 toddler who was furniture cruising but refused to let go.  We had a pretty good experience though it was frustrating that by the end of the dinner DD would have to be taken out and I often felt like I was missing something when I would take her out to make her happy.  The kids programs, to my knowledge, require the kid be potty trained or they have you carry a pager to return to change diapers -- maybe that's not all cruise lines -- and that's weird.  Good luck if you give it a try, we figure we'll wait until the youngest is potty trained so we can take advantage of the kids programs for some "us" time.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Options
    yea with just dd1 I would go anywhere with dd1 AND dd2, I'm super nervous..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would wait off on a cruise. We took DS on a Disney cruise right before he turned 3, and it was perfect. Disney has free child care for 3+, and DS spent the majority of his time there while sailing (he never wanted to be picked up!) We were lucky that he was mature and toilet trained and that they let him in. The adult time we had while DS was in the kid area was wonderful and relaxing. For children under 3 you had to pay for childcare and had to schedule all the hours in advance. DS was pretty good about dinners, although I imagine if he had been any younger that they wouldn't have been so great. Andplusalso DS actually remembers the cruise, so we feel like it was money well spent.
    We won't cruise again with kids until the LO on the way is at least 3.
  • Options
    We have never cruised so I can't speak to that, but it sounds like it could be difficult, b/c if the kids don't handle it well you are really stuck there. I've heard to many bad stories about cruise ships in the news this year to ever want to go on one myself, and certainly not with children.

We have found the best way to vacation with kids is to go somewhere low stress that's not too far away, for us that is the jersey shore. We also usually go with family so there's more help for us and the chance to go out to dinner without kids. It's also easier to stay in a house than a hotel so we can hangout after the kids go to bed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we love cruising and we're trying our 1st with the kids this spring on Carnival.  DD will have just turned 4 and I know she'll love the kids clue.  DS will be 2 weeks shy of 2.  The rule is the kids have to be 2, so I'm hoping they cut us a break, but I'm not counting on it.  I also doubt that DS would stay if they let him.  The kids club is free and they have some mommy and me play time for under 2 some mornings, they also have night babysitting for all ages after 10 that you have to pay for.
    I'm nervous with DS. I fear dinners and shows may be a disaster, but I'm also optimistic.  He does pretty well when we go out to eat and when we do library shows.  I know I'll just have to go with the flow.  I"ll spend alot of time wandering the ship with DS.  I'm also excited to be spending the week with DH and the kids and we'll be forced to relax and just try and enjoy one another. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"