Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

8 month old nursing question

DD1 stopped nursing at 8 months and now DD2 is 8 months and not wanting to nurse for long at all..she woke up and will only eat for 5 min at the most and want nothing to do with it after and pushes me away.  Each feeding is so quick..I'm trying to keep up with pumping for my supply, but just am curious if this is normal.  Will she go back to eating more and longer?  She doesn't eat a lot of solids yet so I don't think it is because she is full..getting her to latch on is so stressful..I know she is definitely distracted by everything..hoping thats all it is..tia
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 8 month old nursing question

• Options
    5 min is pretty normal for an older baby. Try nursing in a quiet room.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yup, they're super efficient by the time they're in the late infant stage.  Keep the distractions to a minimum if you're concerned about that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is a common 8 month nursing strike that gets mistaken for self weaning.  Usually after a day or two baby will go back to normal.  During the strike just keep low pressure, have as much skin to skin and cuddles as possible.  Offer but don't force.  Pump to keep supply up.  Usually baby will come back on their own.  Check out the breastfeeding board as there are questions about it on there all the time!

• Options
    Like pp's mentioned shorter nursing is normal. However, definitely try to limit distractions (we nurse in a quiet dark room) because babies are so easily distractible at that age. Also, teething might be to blame and just nurse more often but shorter times if needed. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I feel like it's entirely possible that 5 minutes is enough. I do nurse DD in her bedroom while rocking with no distractions though to make sure she's focused on eating. Some nursing sessions are 15 minutes while others don't seem to last more than 2 minutes a side.

• Options
    DD is like this too and has been for months. Sometimes it's worse than others. Teething always causes her to not want to nurse long either. Really she nurses a few mins when she wakes and before naps and bed and once in the middle of the night. I pump for an afternoon snack and put it in a sippy and again another sippy with dinner because she's too busy to nurse.

DD #1: March 20, 2013
    DD # 2: May 2, 2015
    EDD #3: March 4, 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"