March 2013 Moms

Anyone giving LO Poly-Vi-Flor vitamin?

I just gave my LO some of the Poly-Vi-Flor today.  The Ped. recommended it to help on teeth development because it contains fluoride.  I tried a bit just to see what it was like.  It tastes HORRIBLE! I seriously gagged as did my DH when he tried some.  If anyone is giving it let me know how you are doing it.  If you aren't let me know why because I am not 100% sold on the idea of this vitamin.  Thanks in advance!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone giving LO Poly-Vi-Flor vitamin?

• My pedi said just to give dd a few ounces of tap water a day for flouride. I wouldn't feel comfortable supplementing flouride personally
  • My doc gave us a Rx for this, but out share of the cost was $90 for one bottle. I got the Poli-Vi-Sol instead and give a bit of tap water (not all places have fluoridated tap water, so ask around). DS hates the vitamin, but I give it to him right before feeding him so he can get the taste out of his mouth ASAP.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our ped gave us that too. I add it to his morning bottle. Or his cereal and he's had no problems.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I Would have your water tested for fluoride if you have well water and if you have city water I'd find out what the fluoride level is before giving it to your lo. If your pedi suggested it then they might know what the level is in city water already. You can take it your health department to have it tested.

I am pro fluoride but too much can stain teeth permanently.

As for the nasty taste I'd probably put it in water to dilute it.
  • Hey Nodoubtvw do you work in a dental office :)
  • Maybe I did. ;)
  • We are trying to give it to our daughter. We do it at night while she is in the bath. The vitamin stinks and stains her clothes. So the bathtub solves those problems. She spits most of it out. If we miss a night I don't freak out. My daughter is EBF so I figure she is getting vitamins.
    Jenny DiLo
  • Flouride is poison. Literally. It has been used for decades as an agricultural pesticide. To kill bugs.
  • Flouride is poison. Literally. It has been used for decades as an agricultural pesticide. To kill bugs.

Given in the correct dosage it is great for teeth. It WILL prevent tooth decay, which in return prevents fillings...which may or may not be amalgam (silver) which contains mercury (not all offices use amalgam.) Given the choice between fluoride or mercury, I'd take fluoride any day.
  • Give it in a bottle, or sippy cup if you do juice. I give it to DS for iron. I know it must taste gross because if my older son drinks it, he spits it out right away. I guess DS2 just doesn't notice or it doesn't bother him.

• We give our boy Poly-Vi-Sol. The same as Poly-Vi-Flor, but sans flouride. And because it is intended to be swallowed, without the flouride it is available without prescription.
    He likes it too.
    Notice that baby toothpaste says ,"No flouride, Safe if swallowed." Just saying...
  • We give our boy Poly-Vi-Sol. The same as Poly-Vi-Flor, but sans flouride. And because it is intended to be swallowed, without the flouride it is available without prescription.
    He likes it too.
    Notice that baby toothpaste says ,"No flouride, Safe if swallowed." Just saying...

They make fluoride free toothpaste because when they're learning to brush they swallow it until they learn to spit it out, and yes it can cause a stomach ache if too much fluoride is swallowed...it would have to be a lot too, just saying. It is also because most city water has fluoride in it (because it is best for los teeth if ingested), but if too much is swallowed it can cause darkening of the teeth. Which is why you do have to be careful with it of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"