Pregnant after 35
Options

Pain relief during labour.......no gas and air in the USA?????

I have a question on pain relief. As I'm getting closer to D-day I thought I'd better start to research labour and all that goes with it. I was reading "what to expect when you are expecting" and there was no mention of gas and air!! I'm originally from the UK when this is pretty common to just take the edge off the pain during the height of labour. I just did a quick Google search and it seems that gas and air is not available in the USA! It looks (from my admittedly limited searching) like you can have an epidural or nothing. It was not my plan to have an epidural but I wanted the option to have something to take the edge off if needed. As a FTM and living in a new country I am wondering what other options there are. I will ask my ob at my next appointment but that is 3 weeks away. Do others and STMs have any info or advice on this??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pain relief during labour.......no gas and air in the USA?????

• Options
    There's a pretty good thread about this on the 3rd tri board that you might want to check out.  With my first, I found that the IV pain meds I was given took the edge off the pain (basically just messed with my mental status), but did little to actually relieve my pain.  Going to play it by ear this time, but it's good to know what your options are.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options

I now have 2 kids.  Just gave birth to my son 2 weeks ago.  The first time I had an epidural, this time I went naturally.  There are pain meds you can get but the only problem is that they do pass on to the baby.  You can discuss this with your Dr.  There are options besides an epidural or nothing.  It really depends on what you are comfortable with. 

Here is a link from the Mayo Clinic about all of your choices.  You can look up some of the meds and have a discussion with your Dr at your next apt. 

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/labor-and-delivery/pr00105

Good Luck!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ooooooo @Pankers I'm from the UK too! Hello!!!!! I'm watching this thread now, coz even though I'm months away I do love a bit of G&A
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    I had no idea!!! I'm in Canada and don't do epidurals BUT took quite a haul on the laughing gas when I had my little dude back in October. And I loved t!!! Really helped me focus in my breathing and calm down between contractions (it was a very fast induction and my son wasn't ready and was/is huge)!!!
  • Options
    Laughing gas is becoming more widely available but it is still only found in limited hospitals.  There are other pain medication options besides epidural that are for a shorter time perior ex. stadol, availability does depend on the hospital/birth center.  Best of luck having a wonderful delivery experience!  just for frame of reference I had epidural for three deliveries and no medication for my fourth.  I plan on a medication free delivery again this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"