December 2013 Moms
Options

Holiday Parties & newborns

So I'm due at the end of December...which means either I'll go early and have a newborn or I'll still be pregnant. I have NO desire to attend any parties, be up late, sit in people's uncomfortable chairs & be surrounded with germs if I'm still pregnant. And if I have a newborn, I just can't imagine I'd want to be around a ton of people.

But my friend who is having a big annual party actually seemed a little shocked by this! Like...why wouldn't I bring a three-day old to a party, or why can't I come over half the night while I'm literally about to burst.

Am I just crazy? What is everyone else doing who is due in December? Would you bring a newborn to a big party? Are you going to big parties days before your due date?

Re: Holiday Parties & newborns

• Options
    If it's really that big of a party, it shouldn't be too big of a deal if you're not there. Do what you feel comfortable with. It's perfectly understandable if you don't want to run the risk of your water breaking infront of all of those people (that's what I would tell people) and a newborn in that environment might get kind of frustrated. And yes, that would be way too many germs for me to be ok with.
    For Christmas, I'm likely just going to stop by my parents' house and SO's family's house. But that's it. They will both be small gatherings.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    You are not crazy. I feel like you. I'd skip the party's

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a small holiday party to go to tonight. Two big parties this week (for our respective offices) on Thursday and Friday, and then DH's acquaintance invited us to her house next Saturday night for their party. That last one is the only one I'm so/so on because I literally know no one and it's in the far north burbs, don't know that I want to make the trek. All depends on how I feel that day. I'm due 12/20.

If I have this baby early, the parties are out. But as long as I am feeling okay, I'm definitely doing our work parties, they are fancy and I want to enjoy a couple big nights out since it will be the last I have for a while...
  • Options
    Yeah do what you think is best for you / LO if here by then . I'm personally not going out or doing anything no party's no fam get together and I don't care if they get butt hurt they will get over it . Besides it's too cold to be taking baby out and I'm sure people are gonna want to hold baby and I wouldn't want baby getting sick especially if LO doesn't have vaccines too many germs for brand new baby .
  • Options
    We're hosting or group's December card night this coming Friday, but it will be low-key for me. Once I get the cooking and cleaning done for company, I get to sit back and enjoy the rest of my night.

If it was any other event or anything more formal, I would skip it. I'm actually hoping to go into labor that night after laughing so hard all evening. Wishful thinking...

Jill (36) Wife to Joe (36) Mom to: Alyssa (forever 10) Jacob (10) Baby Due 12/31/13 Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm debating parties as well. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but if he is only a few days old I don't want all the kids all over him. SO hasn't seemed to get that yet but I am holding firm if I am not comfortable then baby and I won't be going I don't care if people get butt hurt about it plain and simple.
  • Options
    We have no plans this Christmas. There is no way I would go to any big parties with a tiny baby. 
  • Options
    I'm freaking about Christmas Eve and day-- but I'm going to wear the baby and just tell people the dr said to limit people holding her-- I know my in laws are going to crap their pants about it but too freakn bad- they can hold the baby all they want when it's not flu season
  • Options
    I'm avoiding most parties but I am going to a wedding on 12/29.  I was actually supposed to be a bridesmaid but I bowed out for obvious reasons.  I figure most of the parties are annual things that we can go to next year but hopefully this will be the only wedding for a very close friend.  If it was a wedding for someone else, I might skip that too.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SusanC111 said:
    No, I'm skipping everything and have been skipping weddings and parties since November. Too big, no desire to find sitter for #1, can't drink, too tired, I could go on and on. Oh and none of my clothes fit since I'm measuring past 40 weeks. Pajamas! Couch! iPad! The end.
    All of this! I hardly have enough energy to get through my work day, and when I get home all I want is to do nothing.
    Daisypath - (d3qY)
    Lilypie - (ATx7)

• Options
    My mom said i am ridiculous for not wanting to bring lo out if she comes befor christmas but after my DD 12-16

Sorry mom not taking a newborn around a bunch of people and kids
  • Options
    I say, like pps, only do what you're comfortable with.  Living with my parents, I kind of have no choice, but to have my LO, if she comes before x-mas, around a bunch of people.  Our bigger extended family x-mas is at my Aunt's house, which is a block away.  That is all I plan on going to or letting LO attend.  Her father is kind of upset that I said she would not be attending his family's New Years day party, but I don't feel comfortable going (I plan to BF, so I would have to go), it's over an hour and half away, and LO may only be days old.  
    BFP 9/10/12 m/c 10/26/12 BFP 2/10/13 Blighted Ovum m/c 3/12/13 
    Surprise BFP 4/15/13 Mark Anne Born 12/15/13 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SusanC111 said:
    No, I'm skipping everything and have been skipping weddings and parties since November. Too big, no desire to find sitter for #1, can't drink, too tired, I could go on and on. Oh and none of my clothes fit since I'm measuring past 40 weeks. Pajamas! Couch! iPad! The end.
    This cracked me up...I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a big party pooper right now...
  • Options
    Your friend is the crazy one ;-) I've still been going to parties, but as far as I know, the last one was this last Friday and it was my DHs cousin that he's very close with.... He thanked me up and down for coming knowing how hard it was LOL. My advice is, if you're not comfortable, don't go!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SweetPriz said:
    Yeah do what you think is best for you / LO if here by then . I'm personally not going out or doing anything no party's no fam get together and I don't care if they get butt hurt they will get over it . Besides it's too cold to be taking baby out and I'm sure people are gonna want to hold baby and I wouldn't want baby getting sick especially if LO doesn't have vaccines too many germs for brand new baby .

this for me too. I am due 12/22 and will have immediate family over for Christmas but we aren't going to the big family get together and I'm not going to any other big parties either even if LO isn't here yet primarily because I'm uncomfortable and cranky and don't want to endure a night of people asking me how I'm feeling and not to worry because it will be over soon. I would rather cuddle with my fur babies at home :)
  • Options
    No way would I bring a newborn to a party. I might go if I was still pg, and not too uncomfortable. :)
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"