February 2012 Moms
Options

Jumping out of crib

Hi everyone,
 I haven't posted in a really long time, but we are having a bit of an issue here and I thought I'd stop by again and see if anyone has any advice since I've gotten some great advice in the past. My LO is a jumper. She jumps on the couch, the bed, the trampoline. She loves to jump. We try to discourage this behavior (that's why she has a trampoline- to give her an appropriate place to jump), but she jumps in her crib. She also hates going to sleep. We sleep trained a long time ago and she had been sleeping through the night. On a typical night we put her down in her crib rub her back a few minutes and then leave her. She would cry/jump in her crib for about a minute and then go to sleep. This was her norm.
Fast forward to now- we just got back from a 3 week trip visiting my parents in which I shared a room with her. Her sleep got progressively worse as we stayed there to the point where I had to stay with her and rub her back until she fell asleep (30-40 minutes) and she was waking multiple times in the night. She wound up sleeping in the bed with me most nights so she wouldn't wake everyone else in the house.
Now we are back home, and last night I followed her normal routine and tried to get her to sleep in her crib and as soon as I left the room she started jumping in her crib and jumped out (not climbed- but jumped superman style). After attempting to calm her and get her to sleep in her crib for 2 hours I caved and let her sleep in the bed with me.
I am at a loss for what to do now. I am afraid to leave her alone in her room in that she may leap out of the crib again (When we sleep trained the first time we had to just leave her alone in the room- being in there distracted her and made her more upset). I really don't want to change to a toddler bed yet because I know that she will not stay in it (and we are leaving again in 2 weeks for another week-long trip for Christmas). Has anyone sleep trained a child who can get out of their crib? Or any advice to get her to sleep in the crib?

Re: Jumping out of crib

• Options
    I wish I had advice but Nat only started STTN a month ago, but I feel for you. Chances are, though, that she will get back in her pattern in a week or two. Whenever Nat gets off schedule because of a trip or something, it takes a bit of adjusting to get back into her normal routine.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Have you tried putting your LO in a sleepsack?  They usually make climbing out of cribs much harder.  I don't know whether it would help the leaping out of the crib superman style, but it might make it harder for her to jump.  

My DD is still in a sleepsack and can barely stand up in her bed with that thing on let alone jump with it on.

The other thing is that moving to a toddler bed may not be so bad.  When my DS was around 2, putting him to bed was a NIGHTMARE!!  He would cry and cry and cry and it would take us forever to get him to fall asleep.  We went on a trip where we used a blow-up mattress for toddlers that has like little side bumps to prevent them from rolling out, and he absolutely LOVED it.  As soon as we got home from the trip, we moved him to a twin bed and all our problems disappeared.

I'm not saying this will necessarily happen, but our hesitation with going to a twin bed was that he would just keep getting out, but he didn't.  The railing on the side sort of "kept him in," and I think the fact that he knew he could get out if he needed to made it so he didn't feel he had to. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, my point is that moving your LO to a toddler bed or twin bed may not be the disaster you think it is, and may help with some of these issues.  Good luck!!!!  These issues are always really hard! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe try an air mattress on the floor for a couple of days and see how she does. We moved our DS straight to a twin bed when he was 2.5 and we are planning on moving daisy to a twin bed when we move in a couple if months. I thought it would be really hard for DS but he loved it and it was a really smooth transition. Good luck on whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. We lost power in the storm and are staying with family right now so we are back to sleeping in the same bed (since we broke the pack-n-play as soon as we got here). We will see what to do once we get back home. She's been sleeping in a regular bed and she seems to like it so maybe the switch to a toddler bed might not be so bad. Thanks for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"