June 2012 Moms

Are your LOs using utensils?

Just wondering? DS refuses to be fed and only wants to self feed with utensiils...they grow up soo fast. :(

Re: Are your LOs using utensils?

• I've always let him hold one since six months. He feeds himself with minimal spillage every meal. He's very clean, probably afraid that any might go to waste. Or, he could be neurotic because he goes and gets a spoon even if I just put a cracker on the table for him. Still working on correcting the "caveman grasp"
  • Yes, DD mostly self-feeds.  She is good with a fork and spoon.  She sometimes wants help with messier foods, or with shoveling it in faster when she's really hungry.  DS never let me feed him after 11 months, so it's somewhat odd to me that DD still wants help with feeding at times.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • He's getting better with a fork. It depends on the food. The spoon makes such a mess because he kinda just holds it any which way.

He still lets me feed him quite often but he really likes trying to do it himself.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD still prefers her hands, but she can handle a spoon well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Nope.  We always give her one, we'll try to show her, but she always ends up using her hands.  
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, DS will use a fork and a spoon with appropriate foods, but sometimes still resorts to using his hands.  
  • Yes, she uses spoons and forks and even drinks out of a cup that isn't a sippy at meal times. I also serve her her food on dishes rather than her tray. We are no longer using a high chair, rather a booster seat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He does, but mostly still uses his hands.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • khill86khill86 member
    edited December 2013
    DS uses regular utensils (not toddler - we only started doing it because I found the toddler fork too dull and he had a hard time picking up some things with it) about 90% of the time. If there's small pieces left or he's really hungry, he'll use his hands.

He also drinks from a small open cup very neatly. I credit this to bathtime play with a little plastic cup.

We still use a highchair and his tray, though, but I give him a plastic bowl or plate on it. I guess we could probably switch to a booster, but it's just habit. He uses the space saver high chair so it's not like it's taking up any more room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yes. ds uses spoons and forks. he also refuses to be fed
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"