Single Parents
Options

Question :)

Okay , so what about leaving the state with the kids , I'm in Texas . Can I do that or do I have to stay here ? I don't have a consultation till a couple weeks from now but I will be leaving (or plan too ) in 2 weeks to Arizona to be with family ! Anybody know anything ??!

Re: Question :)

• Options
    To the best of my knowledge you can go, BUT your kids are legal entities their dad can court order you to.come back with his kids within six months of being gone.

Also he can get it put into a custody order saing you cant move out of state/move without permission from him and the court.

But this could vary. You NEED to talk to a lawyer. And now i play devils advocate.

Is you moving away from your xh, yout kids father whats best for your kids?
  • Options

I think we need a little more info about your situation before giving you helpful advice. Why are you moving? How much is the father involved now? Paying support? Legal custody? There are so many factors that influence how these long-distance custody issues are handled.

I am currently in the same boat with trying to plan a move. I have sole legal and physical custody, and my ex visits 2-3 times a week. He pays me about $200/month, but that varies quite a bit. We do not have a formal, written agreement now, but if we move I will file something official with the lawyer. I have been able to reason with him so far and explain why this move is good for ALL of us, so I'm hoping he will continue to compromise with me. If he goes to his lawyer and tries to fight against me, it would make it much harder and more complicated.

My ex and I have plenty of problems and conflicts, but the bottom line is my son loves his father and needs to have a relationship with him. There are so many times I wish I could just cut my ex out completely, but I keep telling myself that's not fair and my son will resent me later if I do that. So I am trying very hard to work out a long- distance visitation schedule so my ex can see him at least once a month, if not more. When he gets older, more independent, we will discuss doing longer visits.

My guess is- If you are only thinking to ask this question two weeks before you move, then chances are that's not enough time to make arrangements. He is more likely to get angry and defensive if you spring this news on him suddenly. I would slow down and do a lot more planning before making this big change. Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"