December 2013 Moms

Cinnamon and onion tea

Tonight at our local Mexican restaurant the owner came by to tell me what put her in labor with her 3 kids... Apparently cinnamon and onion tea did the trick. I googled it and its saying its common for colds. Anyone with Hispanic cultures ever heard about this?
She said she boiled water with cinnamon sticks and half a onion.

Re: Cinnamon and onion tea

• That's the worst combo ever. Never heard of it. I don't even think I'd be able to take a sip.
    Welcome Lily Anna!
    photo 1456712_10152106342897743_1211250038_nTB_zps917a6c9a.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's what I said. It's pretty interesting to me though if this is really what they do in their culture. I couldn't find a thing about it though. She said I could eat the onion if I wanted but she never did. I think of the Grinch when I think about eating the onion.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• swirl25swirl25 member
    edited December 2013
    Gag me...think I'll stick to pineapple and the like.

ETA: My mom makes a "tea" from fresh garlic for her hypertension when she feels like her pressure is going up. It smells totally FOUL, but she swears up and down it works. I think it's supposed to be good for colds too, but I can't bring myself to try it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • swirl25 said:

Gag me...think I'll stick to pineapple and the like.

ETA: My mom makes a "tea" from fresh garlic for her hypertension when she feels like her pressure is going up. It smells totally FOUL, but she swears up and down it works. I think it's supposed to be good for colds too, but I can't bring myself to try it.

Google says this tea is good for colds as well so I don't see how it can be good for a cold and also put someone in labor.
  • Blech. That sounds horrid. I've never heard of it.
  • I've been searching more and I've seen that in Mexico women use a certain chocolate with cinnamon.. This sounds more appetizing!!
  • M&H2011 said:
    I've been searching more and I've seen that in Mexico women use a certain chocolate with cinnamon.. This sounds more appetizing!!
    Now that I could handle. Sounds yummy even if it doesn't bring on labor.
    Put some cinnamon in hot chocolate.  Trust me...it's freaking delicious.

Now add the onion ;)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I heard cinnamon but idk about the onion part .. Try just cinnamon it's good w/sugar :)
  • I'm Latina and I haven't heard of that being used for inducing labor, I know onion and honey is used when you have a very bad cold with severe cough and it helps; we also add cinnamon to hot cocoa and is delish but onion and cinnamon together sounds crazy. Maybe her babies couldn't take this mixture and decided to come out before she decided to try some other weird stuff..lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Lyzza350Lyzza350 member
    edited December 2013

Tonight at our local Mexican restaurant the owner came by to tell me what put her in labor with her 3 kids... Apparently cinnamon and onion tea did the trick. I googled it and its saying its common for colds. Anyone with Hispanic cultures ever heard about this?
    She said she boiled water with cinnamon sticks and half a onion.

Cinnamon yes... Onion no lol yuck
  • Maybe she doesn't like you? ...

Lol ! :)
  • I haven't heard of this either. I have drank onion tea with honey and honey for bad colds growing up. I can't remember what it tastes like but it does help with a cold. I drink cinammon tea just because. I would never think of drinking them together and not for inducing labor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"