December 2013 Moms
Options

Freaked out... Jack's choking episode. [LONG]

So tonight, out of no where, Jack started choking. He was in his RNP (as usual) and he was just beginning to stir as it was time to eat. He was just laying there and started making a half wheeze, half choking noise. Suddenly, he turned bright red, his eyes started watering, and it was obvious he couldn't breathe.

We ripped his ass out of the sleeper and turned him to his belly and started smacking his back, trying to clear his airway. It wasn't until I suctioned a good amount of snot out of his nostril and then some saliva from his mouth that he could breathe and calm down.

After a few minutes, we tried laying him down on the couch and it happened again. We picked him up, suctioned again, then he was good. Trust me, we were a fraction of a second away from calling 911... Still second guessing why we just didn't do it TBH.

He has been overall good since then, but it does sound like he has some slight congestion in the back of his throat infrequently when he breathes while sleeping. I've tried auctioning again but don't seem to get anything and I don't feel comfortable shoving the bulb in too deep.

I should also add the pediatrician told us yesterday at his 1 month visit that he has laryngomalacia, which is basically floppy larynx tissues that make him sound like he "honks" while feeding. Not suppose to be a big deal and something he will grow out of.. Now I wonder if this has anything to do with that.

Basically I don't know how to relax now. Husband is already passed out so I'm left starring at my baby and just waiting for the next emergency to happen. I'm scared and feeling like maybe I should just take him up to Urgent Care? Even though he's totally chill now? Am I a bad mom for not calling the after hours for this? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Love,
Freaked out FTM of a preemie.
Married: 6/16/12
CP: 01/2011 |  MMC: 01/2012  |  MMC: 10/2012  |  DS: 11/2013  |  MMC: 11/2014  |  DD: 01/2016
BFP: 06/2018 - EDD: 02/09/2019

Re: Freaked out... Jack's choking episode. [LONG]

• Options
    No your not a bad mom! It is scary, I totally get it. I don't know how many nights I spent staring at my littles chest just to make sure they were breathing. If it makes you feel better I would totally call the on call pedi. It will help easy your mind. I'm sure it's probably a little acid reflux but you might call just to check. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You did the right thing, and such a scary situation. I'm sorry that happened. I would call for peace of mind, but I don't think there's anything else that can be done right now. Good job mama!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds so scary! :( It sounds like you handled everything really well, though.
  • Options
    First you have already done the right things. Second I would call your pediatrician or a children's ER. They might be able to have a pediatric ENT flexscope him to evaluate the degree of laryngomalacia and see if further intervention, like surgery, may be needed. Good luck guys! Your in my thoughts and prayers.

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Dream celeb baby daddy- Prince Harry
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh Hun :( I'm so sorry you went through that scare! You did everything right though *HUGS*
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • Options
    Oh man, that's scary! Good job though, you did great! I'd totally call for peace of mind and see if there's anything else they want to do.

My sweet girl Lilijana Jane 12/16/13
    View Full Size Image 
  • Options
    I am so sorry if I added any extra anxiety. Any further intervention, like surgery, would not have been emergency surgery. But, your pedi should be notified of the episodes. I am sorry if I scared you any further, when your anxiety I'm sure was already through the roof.

You should know your swift thinking was perfect and you were an all star mother for what you did for Jack. His is in very good hands with a sharp mom like you. Again thoughts prayers sent your families way!

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Dream celeb baby daddy- Prince Harry
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Agree with everyone else -- you are NOT a bad mom by any means and sounds like you did exactly what you were supposed to do. I do agree I'd call his pedi when they open even if it doesn't happen again and let them know just in case they want to check him out, but sounds like your mom instincts have already kicked in hardcore. He is lucky to have such a quick thinking mom. So sorry you had that scare!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you had that scare and you are definitely not a bad mom!  I know you love Jack to pieces and spending a sleepless night to keep an eye on him proves it.  I agree with others to call his pediatrician.

• Options
    I have nothing new to say. Ditto everine else. But, all my sorries that you had to go through that. :(

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• Options
    You are not a bad mom! I'd be freaked the hell out too. Ditto everyone else, does your pedi have an after hours phone line? I'd give them or the local children's ER a call, if not just for your own peace of mind. I'm really sorry that you had to go through that.
  • Options
    Our ped asks us to call after any near choking episodes.  It can't hurt. 
    Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So scary!! Sounds like you did everything right!! :) you are not a bad mom!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I can't imagine how scary that had to have been for you.  Way to trust your instincts though, you're a great mom!
  • Options
    You did the right thing. I don't know if its been mentioned yet (I skimmed) but you might want to look into the Angelcare monitor. It will alert you if baby stops breathing through the night so you can get some sleep without too much worrying.

I'd definitely call your hospital or pediatrician though too.
    image image

• Options
    In sorry I didn't come back to my thread sooner. Thank you to everyone for the advice, suggestions, and reassurance. We are going to take him in on Monday to see the pedi and have a more thorough checkup done on his breathing and airway. Today was good up until the evening when I did a diaper change - it seemed laying flat got him gagging a little again, but not choking.

Also, I am for reals buying that Angel Care monitor.
    Married: 6/16/12
    CP: 01/2011 |  MMC: 01/2012  |  MMC: 10/2012  |  DS: 11/2013  |  MMC: 11/2014  |  DD: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/2018 - EDD: 02/09/2019
  • Options
    Ktrue85 said:

In sorry I didn't come back to my thread sooner. Thank you to everyone for the advice, suggestions, and reassurance. We are going to take him in on Monday to see the pedi and have a more thorough checkup done on his breathing and airway. Today was good up until the evening when I did a diaper change - it seemed laying flat got him gagging a little again, but not choking.

Also, I am for reals buying that Angel Care monitor.

This same thing happened while in the hospital with my DD. It freaked me and my DH out horribly! Ours happened in the hospital though, all the time. We got home and it happened all the time. So finally I thought maybe something is squished up in her and just needs to be adjusted. So we took her to our chiropractor and they need an adjustment, it was awesome! They did it once a week for a month and we never had any more problems. I know how scary this is. You did the right thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"