February 2014 Moms

GD Mommas - I need help/support

Hi ladies,

Please don't kill me, I know there have been a bunch of GD threads -  but I was hoping to start one for those of us who have officially been diagnosed with GD.

I'm struggling. I got my diagnosis last week, but am still waiting on the referral service to set me up with my test strips and meter thing. In the meantime, I had a normal OB appt yesterday, where they spent a LOT of time talking to me about this diagnosis. Understandably, they're taking it very seriously. They tested my sugars (like 1 hour after I had eaten a snack) and it read 127 - the doctor hurried in to tell me "holy heck, no more carbs, no sugar, and get your meter ASAP!" 

Because of the way I eat (which is continuously, all day long, not necessarily 3 sit-down meals), they're going to have me checking my sugars like 6-7 times per day. And from now on I need to see the OB once a week, where they will hook me up to a fetal monitor for 20 minutes at a time. They said that with GD there is an increased risk of heart problems, and they want to check the baby every week to be sure she's okay. This really scares me.

The whole thing makes me feel frustrated and dejected, not to mention scared for my LO. I know the basics of the GD diet - low/no carb, nothing sugary, and to combine protein with any carbs I eat. But I'm feeling frustrated by the limitations, and not to mention scared for my LO. I also know I'm being a huge baby about it all - so I have to change my diet, no big deal, right?...but I'm frustrated and could use some suggestions. I feel like I'm going to live the next 9 weeks off freakin almonds, string cheese, and lunch meat. Ew.

Does anyone have any good meal plans to share? Or ideas for lunches that don't need a microwave? Or any other tricks and words of wisdom for getting through the next 9 weeks? 

I also want to say that in the grand scheme of things, I know this isn't a big deal, and it could be so much worse. LO  I'm so grateful that this is a manageable illness, and that I can control my own diet to ensure LO's healthiness. I'm absolutely willing to do whatever it takes to keep her healthy, ya know? But I am feel overwhelmed by it all, and could use some support/words of wisdom from other women in the same position. TIA. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD Mommas - I need help/support

• The high-risk board has lots of GD moms, too. You might get some good meal advice there. It's okay to feel overwhelmed and upset about it--give yourself some time to adjust.
  • If you want no-heat lunches, you can start getting creative with some salads. There are a ton of great options to mix it up and not constantly feel like a rabbit. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @codypup you are not alone in those feelings! I am so utterly frustrated with this diagnosis!!! My cut offs are 90 for fasting and 120 an hour after meals. If I eat ANY bread I can guarantee my sugar will be up. I have been living on salads, chicken, and veggies. I've also discovered the Boost glucose control shakes (really yummy 1 carb snack). Cheese in general is filling and doesn't affect me too much...

I've had quite a few breakdowns in the last 2 weeks. I'm back on prednisone and after dealing with the bitchiest nurse in existence I'm on insulin too. I was at the point before the insulin that everytime I ate I'd worry about my sugars, and in return freak out about my baby girl (they keep throwing out "stillbirth" and I'm having a really hard time with that risk after my losses).

Dinner wise I've been making a LOT of chicken. Snacks I've been on a cheese and pepperoni kick.

I don't have the best advice, I just really wanted to let you know you're not alone. And it sucks because when I try to talk about it I pretty much get told "it's temporary, suck it up." No one seems to get the anxiety that's come along with the diagnosis. Keep your chin up, I'm here if you wanna chat...I totally feel your pain!

XoXo
    Sarah

BFP#1 10/24/11 EDD 07/01/11 DD1 6/29/11
    BFP#2 07/26/12 EDD 03/21/13 M/C(mmc6wk)09/04/12 @~11w
    BFP#3 02/08/13 EDD 10/22/13 M/C(mmc6wk)03/11/13 @~8w
    BFP#4 06/05/13 EDD 02/19/14 DD2 02/05/14

• I want to send you hugs and love and bees <3 :bz :bz

I was going to page lex, but I see megash already has that covered. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but I'm glad you're getting the care you need.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Will you see a dietician or nutritionist when you get your meter? If so, they'll help you with foods to avoid, numbers to stick to, etc. for me, I'm encouraged to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day so I feel like I'm eating all day... But I still only check my sugars first thing in the morning and after each meal. 6 or 7 times a day would make me crazy! I think the biggest thing for me is trying foods... I was told that one high reading isn't the end of the world... If you try something and you spike, don't eat it again. And try different foods at different times of day (like fruit, cereal, for me not in the morning but at night ok). Drink lots of water and get some exercise in if you can... It really helps! I totally sympathize with your feeling frustrated and dejected... But for me, it's really not that bad... Plus, in my experience, you get to see and hear baby more toward the end! One upside! :) Hang in there and good luck! You can do it! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • First off, breath.  It will all be ok.

Second, you said you graze daily.  They have me eating every 2 hours, is that a doable schedule for you? Because I eat 2 meals a day, and about three snacks on that schedule and that is what the dietician recommended out our meeting.  The snacks are usually something like cheese and a serving of carbs that isn't more than 15 carbs.  Peanu butter is considered a protein for me, which is a relief, because I hate most other stuff.

Do you like eggs?  My friend used to hardboil a few eggs and eat them throughout the day. 

That being said, I've been doing this for this baby since August and have a pretty limited diet at this point, because for me, what was safe to eat last week, pings me high this week.  Keep the carbs at the prescribed level (for me that is 30 grams breakfast, 45 lunch, 45 dinner, and 15 for each snack.) and all the protein you can stomach.  Also, many veggies are free (obviously corn and beans are carbs,)but  fruit, sadly, is kinda evil (I would cut you for watermelon right now.)  But there is still a lot that you can find to eat in the restrictions.  I have found that Nature Valley makes a protein granola bar that has 14 carbs that satisfies my sweet craving, and dannon has a light greek yogurt that satifies my creamy cravings, so while they aren't filling, they are tasty treats.

The monitoring is not bad and should not scare.  I think of it as extra eyes on the baby, which most people would kill for.  For me, you lie in a chair and they count kicks and make sure the heartbeat stays stable.  It's not 20 minutes though, sometimes it takes longer if the baby is sleeping or feels lazy that day.  If that happens, I get an ultrasound where they have certain criteria that must be met, including movement and "breathing practice."

Also, if your OB was aware you had eaten less than an hour before you tested, then they way overeacted, my numbers only have to be below 120, 2 hours after I have eaten. (Some people test after an hour, I am not sure what that cut off is)

• I agree with PP.. When I was diagnosed with DS they set me up with a nutritionist. It helped a lot. But just because you have GD doesn't mean you can't eat what you want. My High risk ob told me that. Just watch how much you eat. Good luck with it!!
  • Thank you guys for all your love! It's so helpful to know I'm not alone. 

@sms_518 - I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with a nurse. :( But I totally get you with the "just suck it up!" stuff. Dude, I know it's not that bad, but sometimes this diet makes me stabby, and if someone doesn't stuff a bagel down my throat I'm going to slap them. 

@mendozamjw - I haven't met with a nutritionist, and I honestly don't know if I will. This whole referral thing is very odd to me - they called to get information from me and were going to run it all through insurance. When and if that pans out, they will set up an appointment to get my meter. They don't seem to be in any rush, although my OB was definitely worried that I didn't have my meter yet. I'm kind of stuck with no options except to watch my diet and hope the numbers are okay.

I'm getting the sense that a lot of this will be trial and error, no? A big part of my problem is that I'm admittedly picky about food. The thought of salad every day makes me want to turn my nose up like a 4 year old. I've been following the diet, but am still STARVING at the end of the night, which obviously makes me grumpy and/or want to binge on anything I can find. 

• Also, back on the O'B's reaction, it's irresponsible to tell you no carbs, that will move you into ketosis which is not good for pregnant ladies.  Grr, now I feel punchy on your behalf.

• @notreal2 I have to test an hour after meals and be under 120....yes I think my endocrinologist is a bit crazy.....but she's a genius in the diabetic community...it just sucks....

XoXo
    Sarah

• Codypup said:
     I've been following the diet, but am still STARVING at the end of the night, which obviously makes me grumpy and/or want to binge on anything I can find. 

You shouldn't go more than 8 hours before taking a fasting number in the morning, so if you are on empty, you may have to set an alarm for the middle of the night to eat to (and this will sound counterintuitive) keep your number from rebounding high after it goes too low.  And while it's not the same, Thomas's bagel thins have 28 carbs, which, with melted cheese and a tomato (not cream cheese, also pretty carb-tacular) might work for you.

•  
    sms_518 said:
    @notreal2 I have to test an hour after meals and be under 120....yes I think my endocrinologist is a bit crazy.....but she's a genius in the diabetic community...it just sucks....
    Oh man, I would prefer this.  Mine just passes out metformin like it's candy and tells you to up your dose if your numbers suck.

• notreal2 said:

First off, breath.  It will all be ok.

Second, you said you graze daily.  They have me eating every 2 hours, is that a doable schedule for you? Because I eat 2 meals a day, and about three snacks on that schedule and that is what the dietician recommended out our meeting.  The snacks are usually something like cheese and a serving of carbs that isn't more than 15 carbs.  Peanu butter is considered a protein for me, which is a relief, because I hate most other stuff.

Do you like eggs?  My friend used to hardboil a few eggs and eat them throughout the day. 

That being said, I've been doing this for this baby since August and have a pretty limited diet at this point, because for me, what was safe to eat last week, pings me high this week.  Keep the carbs at the prescribed level (for me that is 30 grams breakfast, 45 lunch, 45 dinner, and 15 for each snack.) and all the protein you can stomach.  Also, many veggies are free (obviously corn and beans are carbs,)but  fruit, sadly, is kinda evil (I would cut you for watermelon right now.)  But there is still a lot that you can find to eat in the restrictions.  I have found that Nature Valley makes a protein granola bar that has 14 carbs that satisfies my sweet craving, and dannon has a light greek yogurt that satifies my creamy cravings, so while they aren't filling, they are tasty treats.

The monitoring is not bad and should not scare.  I think of it as extra eyes on the baby, which most people would kill for.  For me, you lie in a chair and they count kicks and make sure the heartbeat stays stable.  It's not 20 minutes though, sometimes it takes longer if the baby is sleeping or feels lazy that day.  If that happens, I get an ultrasound where they have certain criteria that must be met, including movement and "breathing practice."

Also, if your OB was aware you had eaten less than an hour before you tested, then they way overeacted, my numbers only have to be below 120, 2 hours after I have eaten. (Some people test after an hour, I am not sure what that cut off is)

See, my OB told me to keep my carbs to 15-20g per meal/snack! I went home and looked at some of the carbs in my favorite food, and was floored. It meant I could have 3/4 of 1 piece of bread, 1/2 an english muffin, NO granola bars, 2 carrots, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, etc. Your carb allotment sounds amazingly wonderful, and I'm jealous - I feel like I could manage the diet better with those numbers.

It could be that once I start testing my sugars, they'll give me more wiggle room. Problem is I have no way of knowing anything until I get that stupid monitor.

• I don't have GD but I wanted to offer some support, and tips for diet since I have blood sugar issues so I have to watch my carbs/sugar (mine drops instead of spikes) regardless of gestating.

First off ::hugs:: I know it's scary and overwhelming right now, but I'm sure once you get in touch with your dietician it'll be a lot clearer. They'll have a lot of tips/information for you. And think of the positive - all the extra care means your LO is in great hands!

For food - I am a huge fan of a bigass salad with meat (leftover roast chicken is great for this), cheese, hard boiled egg and a ton of veggies plus a combo of vinegar and oil on top - yum! Easy to throw together a few ahead of time too so lunches are set for the week. Plus you can mix up the toppings to make it a little different every day. Try lettuce wraps instead of bread for a sandwich if you usually eat those at lunch. A big piece of romaine layered with lunch meat, avocado, tomato, mayo/mustard, rolled up - yum!  Snacks I do fruit/nuts a lot it seems to be a good balance of protein/fat/carbs, so an apple with peanut butter or a banana with almonds. I also make my own trail mix - skip the chocolates and just do a bunch of nuts with raisins to keep the sugar down. 

You'll figure it out! And the good news is, we only have a few months left so before you know it LO will be here :)

imageimage
  • @notreal2 I'm on 7 units of humalog at dinner and 7 of NPH at 11 pm (I work nights 3 days a week, but she needs to adjust this time, I don't like staying up that late lol). I think being on the insulin has actually helped me relax. I need to find a good bed time snack though, my fasting number was 91 today,..lol oops

XoXo
    Sarah

• Hugs!

Having to suddenly transition to a strict diet is really tough. One thing to help you add some variety to what you eat would be to try searching for new meals and snacks you can make. I really like all recipes.com (I promise they don't pay me!) You can do advanced searches that restrict the results to diabetes friendly meals, including setting a max number of carbs per serving. You can also ask it to include or exclude certain foods if you're sick of a certain thing.

Hopefully you can get comfortable with the changes soon and get lots of ideas and support here!
    Me: 25 DH: 26 First-time Mom EDD 2/2/2014

From May 18, 2013
  • I know the GD diet can be frustrating but after some time, it will come naturally.  You will have to spend more time looking at nutrition labels and counting your carbs, proteins and fats... but eventually you will learn what you can (and cannot) eat. 

My diet consists of breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and late snack.  Each meal is allowed a certain number of carbs, proteins and fats.  Breakfast is one of the harder meals to control so stay away from fruits and whole dairy (both contain sugars).  I usually have a slice of Nature's Own sugar free bread with peanut butter, an egg and high protein yogurt.  For a mid morning snack I can have a small fruit (maybe a few slices of apple with peanut butter) and a cheese stick, peanuts, or some other type of protein.  Celery sticks with peanut butter is good as well.  South Beach makes a cinnamon raisin protein bar that is good for afternoon snacks.   Stay away from heavy starches and sugars.  For lunch you could have a chicken wrap (choose a low carb whole grain tortilla) with some cottage cheese and a handful of blueberries or strawberries.  You could also make a bean salad with slices of chicken or a "BLT" with turkey bacon and light mayo.  Nature's Own makes a very low carb whole grain bread (sugar free) that works well.  Add a cheese stick for more protein and maybe some veggie slices.

Some good foods to concentrate on are things like fish, seafood, eggs, chicken, seeds/nuts, cheese, pork, non starchy veggies such as zucchini, celery, spinach, green beans, tomatoes, and lettuce, and drink a lot of water.  Also, taking a short walk after large meals will help lower your numbers.

I'm a bit surprised your doctor is making you test so many times per day.  However, once you get into a routine it will be second nature and I usually have no issues "testing on the go".  The most important thing is not skipping meals because this can make it difficult to control your levels.  If you go over a bit, think of it as a learning experience and change your diet accordingly.  Yes, GD is a big deal but as long as you are trying I wouldn't stress over every little hiccup as long as it is only on occasion.  If you are finding it difficult to manage your number at every meal, request a sit down with your doctor or nutritionist to go over your meal plans.  If you have a high number, it's good to write down what the meal was so you can ask for clarification.  It helped me understand what exactly I needed to change.  For instance, I found my body does not work well with milk.  I assumed this was a high protein addition but never realized how the lactose was working against me.  After writing down my meal, the doctor was able to help me see what I was doing wrong.

Good luck!  I know it's stressful but take it one day at a time and understand that you are learning.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  If you have questions... don't be scared to ask.  It will get easier.
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I get it.  Mine is a little different this time b/c we aren't totally sure if I really have GD or if I just failed the test b/c I was sick and on meds.  But either way, I am having to watch it.  I also eat small meals every 2-3 hrs which makes it tricky to test the "normal" way.  But if I don't eat like that, my sugar drops and I feel woozy.  As far as WHAT to eat, I find that I do much better if I take the time to make myself some premade snacks/meals on Sunday for the week and just grab them as I need them.  I also keep a list in my phone of things that I know I can eat without raising my sugar too much.  This helps when I'm feeling "stuck" and nothing sounds appetizing but I know I need to eat.  Here's my current list:

Egg cups (basically scrambled eggs and cheese and veggies in a muffin tin.  Bake it for 30-35 min.  Store them in the fridge and pop them in the microwave as needed.  Sometimes I also put ground turkey sausage in them too ;-)
    Turkey bacon.  I cook this in the microwave too.  Eat it with half a whole grain bagel or even a fiber plus eggo for a quick breakfast.
    Chili.  This one is tricky b/c some people are sensitive to the tomatoes and that can spike your sugar.  It doesn't seem to affect me.  But it does give me heartburn :-(
    Peanut butter and whole wheat english muffin (I eat this a lot).
    Plain cheerios.
    Celery & Peanut Butter
    Grilled chicken strips on salad
    Cheese plate (this has been my #1 craving all pregnancy.  I prefer it with grapes/apple slices but I have to limit that now.  I also throw some pecans or almonds on there too.  I have some whole grain crackers that I use sometimes but even those can send my sugar up so only 1 or 2)
    Veggies with low fat veggie cream cheese spread
    Mixed nuts and seeds

And this one is tricky too but sometimes I really need something sweet... and sugar free snacks won't cut it.  There is this Breyers Carb Smart ice cream.  It's made with Splenda and I swear it really does taste like the real thing and I can ALWAYS tell.  But it can be hard to find and only comes in chocolate and vanilla.  You do have to watch your portion on it but if you just need a fix, this ones not too bad.

• It's hard to give advice about what foods work and what foods don't-everyone reacts to them differently. I tend to HAVE to have a glass of milk for breakfast, but that is the only carb my body can handle (along with a meat and cheese omelet). Lunch and dinner I'm always trying new things, and have learned I can be a LOT more flexible for those meals. It is a lot of trial and error. Also, fast food is not good for me, but I have found certain exceptions to that, too. (Yesterday for lunch I had an Arby's roast beef max sandwich, no side... Not the best but worked for the situation and satisfied the craving without jumping my sugar numbers too high).

In general, I do better when avoiding most grains, and stick with other forms of carbs (I eat a lot of fruit and greek yogurt). Of course, there are exceptions to that, but I am learning as I go.

I have a few 'cheats'- sugar free chocolate (eat only one piece here and there), and real fruit (no sugar added) popsicles are a couple of my weaknesses!

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• I got my diagnosis three freakin' weeks before I could get in to talk to my OB or a dietician! I was TERRIFIED and started feeling like every bite of everything I ate was poisoning my baby. Internet research didn't help much, and just spooked me, really. 

Now that I've finally seen my specialists and started testing, I feel sooooo relieved!! I thought I was going to be eating a handful of nuts, basically, for breakfast lunch and dinner. But they have ultra-crafty ways of making sure you get all the calories (and delicious items!) you need, while keeping your blood sugar in check and steady. It's way less limiting and difficult than I thought it was going to be. Once I started seeing my blood sugar numbers and feeling informed and educated, I felt really empowered.. like "I can do this!!" 

I've been having plain (whole grain, not instant) oatmeal with a little sprinkle of maple syrup and cinnamon at breakfast, and an egg or two. That's certainly worked for me so far. I save my precious, precious fruits (god, I love 'em) for dinnertime, when they can get digested a bit more slowly, rather than causing a crazy sugar spike as a snack. And I find that the bedtime snack is so important! If I have a nice snack - let's say toast and peanut butter and a hunk of cheese - an hour or so before bed, my sugar counts in the morning are better, because there's no scary dip and spike. 

I still have some trial and error to do, but hang in there, there are so many of us in the same boat as you! You're definitely not alone, and think of folks who skip the test, only to be unaware that they even have GD. You're already on the right path, you're taking steps to manage it and being an awesome Momma!! 
  • It's hard to give advice about what foods work and what foods don't-everyone reacts to them differently. I tend to HAVE to have a glass of milk for breakfast, but that is the only carb my body can handle (along with a meat and cheese omelet). Lunch and dinner I'm always trying new things, and have learned I can be a LOT more flexible for those meals. It is a lot of trial and error. Also, fast food is not good for me, but I have found certain exceptions to that, too. (Yesterday for lunch I had an Arby's roast beef max sandwich, no side... Not the best but worked for the situation and satisfied the craving without jumping my sugar numbers too high). In general, I do better when avoiding most grains, and stick with other forms of carbs (I eat a lot of fruit and greek yogurt). Of course, there are exceptions to that, but I am learning as I go. I have a few 'cheats'- sugar free chocolate (eat only one piece here and there), and real fruit (no sugar added) popsicles are a couple of my weaknesses!
    This!  Really it is trial and error even from day to day.  There are some things that I can eat with no issue today and tomorrow, it may spike my sugar.  This is why its so important for me to keep a list of "safe" foods.  Oh and dairy rarely seems to affect my numbers at all but for some people they can't handle it even in small amounts.  

Oh and I forgot another snack.  I actually had made this for DS's lunch but I took it for myself last week... In the produce section, our grocery store has tons of different kinds of organic nuts/seeds.  Not all salty like the bagged ones.  I got some sunflower seeds, pecans, almonds, banana chips, raisins, and yes even some dark chocolate chips.  Mixed it all up in a big ziploc bag and I have some yummy trail mix.  I keep little ziplocs of it in my purse/car for quick snacks on the go.  

• @jenniejuniper - You saying you eat peanutbutter and bread before bed just MADE my day - that's my every night, go-to snack!! 

I think I just got really scared by the "NO CARBS!" freak out at the doctor's office. I was picturing the Atkins diet or something similarly horrible. I think I'll feel better once I get that meter and can actually start testing. 

You ladies have given me lots of wonderful ideas for meals, especially the low sugar bread options. Thank you all so much!

• tbh I just met with a registered diatician on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure she would cry if she heard you'd been told "no carbs." I don't know what units of measurement you're doing yor glucose numbers in but for mine, I need to be below 5.3 for fasting (above 3.2) and below 7.8 one hour after a meal. I'm going to scan my daily requirements sheet for you when I get home, it's very reasonable and should help you meal plan until you meet with someone who can tailor one for your needs. I think you should push HARD to meet with a dietician/nutritionist. It was a life saver and helped me make such better choices and erase (mostly) the guilt I was feeling about having GD/eating foods I was unsure about. I recognize that every body is so different, so my meal plan won't necessarily be good for you, but it should help you see how manageable GD eating is when you have a nutritionist as a cheerleader. And fwiw, I'm struggling to eat the amount of food I'm prescribed daily! I'm a grazer too, and I've been told to eat my meals and snacks with "no dilly dallying!" It's hard - Sad trombone! I literally feel like I'm eating ALL DAY LONG and hungry is the last thing I feel when I go to bed at night.
    TyrannosaurusLex - thank you!

• I don't have GD but what about hummus?
  • edited December 2013
    Yeah my dietician was like "NO carbs? That would be bad for *anyone*. In fact you need LOTS of carbs, for you and the baby! The trick is just to space them out and eat them with protein and fibre for slower digestion." 

Bam! It all made sense after that! Have my crusty multigrain toast with a big blorp of peanut butter? Don't mind if I do! Have my crackers with hummus? Don't mind if I do! Yogurt with almonds on top? Okeydoke! She even said I could snack a cupcake at a birthday party this weekend, as long as I eat it with lunch and skip the fruit that I'd usually have. Easy peasy! 

My dietician saved my butt! 
  • I'm not GD, but I've had type 1 (insulin injection dependant) diabetes for 21 years. They say higher risk for everything, but honestly, its just a slightly elevated risk that is non-applicable if you manage your GD properly.

They'll probably offer you a fetal heart/cardio scan, I've had two now and LO has a minor pericardial effusion (minimal extra fluid in the sac around the heart).

Regarding diet, its different for GD and normal, but veggies/salad have no carbs, meat has no carbs and lots of protein (just be careful of sauces you cook with apply), and sweet potatoes are low GI so better than normal potatoes if you need some carb :) GD diets will be very similar to type 2 diabetes diets so you could google some recipes.

In the UK you can buy a blood sugar meter with upto 50 strips for around $50 in any chemist, so if you get desperate then you could buy one. High sugar levels will make you thirsty, feel slower and make your saliva thicker. You'll be more likely to be irritable too, and need to pee a huge amount often as you won't be absorbing the fluid you do drink properly. Drink LOTS of water!!!
    Low sugar levels are likely to give you a hot flush, give you clammy sweats, a dull headache at the back of your skull, make your hands shake, and give you a lack of concentration. Eat a small amount of high GI and a small amount of high GI (piece of chocolate/fruit followed by slice of wholemwal or granary toast) immediately and rest for 10-15 mins til sugars come back up!

Hope some of that helps :)
  • Thanks for posting this.

Are you ladies doing a weekly check in?

I failed the 1 hour and am doing the 3 hour this next week and I'm nervous about possibly being diagnosed. I know I may pass the 3, but it's still on my mind.

BzeetyD = 38, Mr. BzeetyD = 44 together 12/02 married 9/08
    TTC #1 since 1/10
    DX: Unexplained/??? MFI issues

Our lil' lost sparks:
    5w3d loss 7/30/10 - EDD March 2011
    8w loss 4/15/11 - EDD November 2011
    8w3d loss 8/2/12 - EDD March 2013
    4w c/p loss 10/29/12 - EDD July 2013

Long story: trying on our own + testing testing testing with 6 rounds of Clomid, more testing, injectables + TI, laparoscopy - one tube blocked, 2 IUIs with Follistim...BFNs.
    RPL testing all normal, Karyotyping normal

Moving on to IVF.

IVF #1 April 2012 = BFN, IVF #2 June 2012 = BFP. U/S 7/23 = saw heartbeat but measuring behind. Follow up U/S on 7/30 - no heartbeat. D&C 8/2. Trisomy 12. IVF #3 Oct 2012 = Chemical Pregnancy

Phone consult with CCRM on 12/12/12 - ODWU 1/4/13 - both tubes clear(!) - AFC 24, AMH 3.2, FSH 9.6, LH 5.4, E2 25. DH has high frag rate but improved!
    IVF #4 March 2013 CCRM. EP protocol w/ Menopur, Gonal-F & Dexamethasone. ER 3/29 & IMSI, PICSI. 43R 13M 10F 6blasts bio'd. CCS testing reveals 3 normals!!!
    FET 5/31/13 of 1 4AA blast - thawed and expanded. 4dp5dt BFP.
    Beta 9dp5dt = 181, 11dp5dt = 427. 1st u/s showed a healthy heartbeat! EDD 2/16/14

After 4 years of hoping and heartbreak, our sweet little bean was born on 2/19/14
    We are so in love with her.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it."

Everybody is welcome!!!
  • Sorry guys, one more question! I'm sure the nurses will be able to answer this when they call on Monday, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask you.

What are "normal" numbers for the low range on the testing scale? Like I know above 120 is not so good, but what's the bottom?

I just got my kit, and tested 2 hours after breakfast. I got 79. NO clue what it means though!

• All I know is fasting should be between 60 and 90. One hour after eating it should be under 140, 2 hours after eating it should be under 120. Those were the guidelines I was given. I've never even come close to being too low, though. I think my lowest fasting number was about 77. And that's with 14 units of insulin at night

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• You look like you already got some great advice. Im a lurker with GD. The dietician gave me all the resources in the world, but what best worked for me was two things....She gave me a shopping list for diabetics.....and basically i set my plate up like this.....you have one plate visually split it in half then split one of the halfs into two....your carb serving and protein go in the smallest halfs, veggies make up the larger half.... That worked best for me,
  • I don't have GD - but what about some paleo recipes? I'm not suggesting that you go strict paleo, but figured you might find some good ideas/tricks there?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"