School-Aged Children

1st grade. Can I complain?

I need to complain to someone so you ladies are it. My son is ahead in reading, the teacher has him at an independent reading level of N and he tested 99 percentile on PMAP (assessment testing our district gives in fall and spring). His spelling words this week range from us to don't. He is reading one to two chapter books a week, last week it was a 120 plus page American Girl book. The fact that his spelling words are us,must, says and don't is driving me nuts. Part of me wants to say something but the other sad of me says who cares because he reads so much that he is still learning more and his writing is great anyway. And the teacher is not warm and fuzzy so I never know how to take her and I am focusing other things like that he is very introverted and just starting to join in at school and while he tested 96th percentile in Math he still has questions and occassionally gets something wrong because of the ridiculous enVision Math curriculum. So, if you have advice I would take it but I am mostly just venting. Oh, and his school technically has GnT but it has not been mentioned and I won't bring it up until I see his PMAP scores again in Spring, if he tests this high for the third time in a row I will question things more.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: 1st grade. Can I complain?

• That would have driven me insane!

Our school does not give out letter grades at all anymore, it is all core standards based and ridiculous. But the teacher gave me his current number grades for Language, Math and Science. He has an 87 in Science,
    um he was being pulled for Speech during Science! And I have never seen a graded test or been told they were even being tested!

As for G&T my understanding is PMAP and MAP and then I assume NJASK are the main thing that qualify kids. But in fall Kindergarten he "only" got 85th and 75th and then in Spring he got 99th and 97th.

I have never posted this before but my son is gender non-conforming in addition to being anxious and introverted/shy. I am still worried about him fitting in socially and about how the teacher feels about him, I get nothing but nice works and praise from every teacher he ever had and everyone else he comes into contact with and yet not his main teacher which might be her personality but since it is a concern it has me prioritizing things. And since he is enriched in other ways like Chinese School once a week and reading tons I have decided to hold off on pushing things. I guess I am also worried that because he does not get hundreds in class that she might push back.

And you are right about spelling, it is a joke that she is giving him words that his sister who is 2 years younger has no issue sounding out but his spelling improves from writing and reading more than his spelling homework.

Oh and he is out of Speech now, he only started this year but the issue we were concerned about has resolved so as of last week he is done. So now he will not be missing anything. I guess I am going to take baby steps but it is still annoying.
  • Hi!  Mom of GT kids here!  Primary grades are tough for children who are reading way above grade level.  They need the social and emotional experiences of these grade levels, but it's darn near impossible for a teacher to keep a kid reading at an N level challenged while most of the students in class are learning to read.

If he's being offered short chapter books in language arts, that's a win.

I wouldn't sweat the easy spelling words too much.  For one thing, a high reading level doesn't necessarily translate into good spelling.  It doesn't hurt to make a point of learning to spell even those easy, obvious words.  It will set him up to learn phonetic spelling rules later. 

In my experience with both my kids, spelling didn't get really rolling until grade 2.  At that point I noticed a big jump to much more appropriately challenging spelling lists.  Hang in there!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies, like I said I just needed to complain and it helps to read responses that put things in perspective.

As for GATE they start in K but it is in class enrichment at that point and using teacher observation. The first method of entrance is NWEA testing (PMAP/MAP) which is supposed to be automated acceptance or teacher nomination. I just realized that notification goes out on May 13 which means that he would not have qualified by test scores because of his first testing in Fall in Kindergarten.

He is being offered chapter books in the library but not in language arts so he is reading a ton at home.

The spelling words he already knows so he is not learning anything there but he did learn to alphabetized real well from Spelling and he is practicing writing sentences at least.

Thanks for perspective!
  • Lol about Montessori, DS only did toy class and 3 and 4yo (Dec birthday so he is older) and I think it made a huge difference even though he is in public now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"