May 2012 Moms
Options

Christmas tree for baby

Thank you Pinterest! Felt tree with felt ornaments! She loves it! Or at least she loves taking the ornaments off lol

Re: Christmas tree for baby

• Options
    Oh man, I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to do this so badly! Where did you get your felt? Fabric Store? Craft store?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I started this a few years ago. The kiddos love it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got the felt at jo ann fabrics, but I bet any craft store will have it.
  • Options
    najzomaxnajzomax member
    edited November 2013
    I got mine at fabricland but any store that sells fabric by the yard/metre. All I did was buy some Pom Poms and some sparky paint. I used my glue gun to glue the Pom Poms. For the gingerbread men I traced a cookie cutter. I got the small sheets of felt at the dollar store for the ornaments.
  • Options
    I was planning on doing this as well! Was going to pick up the felt on Tuesday :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options
    So cute! I'm wondering what to do about the tree this year since the one room that is completely safe is the living room, which is where we'd put a tree. I mean we could put the tree downstairs but no one ever goes down there. Maybe felt is the way to go this year :-P
  • Options
    I'm doing the felt nativity since I feel like Christ needs to be in Christmas more. And well we already have 4 Christmas trees
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    GromMomGromMom member
    edited November 2013
    Btw does any weight felt work for this project?
  • Options
    Yup, any felt works but the heavier weight seems to stick better
  • Options
    I love this! 

@bellelamb do you have a link to a sample of a felt nativity scene or is it something you were just going to create on your own. I would love to make one for Abby but it might be beyond my level of craftiness. I bet my Mom could pull it off though. 

One of my favorite Christmas memories is setting up my mom's nativity set which was been passed down from my grandmother. I would love to have a nativity set but I'm afraid Abby would mess with it too much. This would be a great alternative.

• Options
    Dwinalsinlove, this is the one I liked there is a link for a free pattern

https://mycrazyblessedlife.com/2012/11/07/wall-nativity/

I also LOVE our fisher price little people nativity and the kids love it too! So cute to see my tgen 2 year old say good night to baby Jesus every night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    The tree is really really easy. I don't know how easy the nativity is but if there is a pattern it should be pretty simple. I traced cookie cutters onto the felt to get the angel and gingerbread men shapes. You don't have to be super crafty to do the tree. A friend of mine made one with her 3 year old yesterday and their tree is much fancier than mine. Mine is just a straight triangle but DD doesn't care :)
  • Options
    najzomax said:

Yup, any felt works but the heavier weight seems to stick better

Thanks, I was wondering if lighter or heavier stuck better :-)
    Of course this means I might have to go to Joanns instead of using my existing felt stash, Hee Hee!
  • Options
    I bought some tonight to try my hand at it. Wish me luck!

• Options
    BTW: how did you attach it to the wall?

• Options
    I just got done putting the tree on the wall with painters tape and when I walked in to the kitchen to do ornaments DS pulled it off the wall. I may have to rethink my approach.
  • Options
    I tried painters tape too. It's holding for the moment but DD did tug at it last night and we stopped her. Just hoping she'll forget about it...

• Options
    I used my hot glue gun and a couple of tacks. It's not supposed to peel the paint but I'm not testing that until after Christmas.
  • Options
    Advice to anyone who thought it might be a good idea, don't let your child color the ornaments with washable markers. Luckily he only did two but every time he touches those ornaments, marker comes off on his hands.
  • Options
    Yeah, washable markers aren't good for this but the sparkly paints at walmart worked awesome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"