April 2014 Moms

What do you do to help get sleep?

So I already have a terrible sleep issue (unidentified at this point), but this pregnancy has been horrible about worsening it. Thankfully I didn't fight it with baby #1. I know that my bed being so soft adds to the back pain so I try to use my snoogle, but it's not giving me the relief it did with DD. My previous OB said I could take Tylenol PM, but I hate taking medicines while pregnant so I avoid it. Usually I can fall asleep but don't stay asleep.

Do you have any remedies to help you sleep?

(background info on the pre-existing sleep issues: did daytime and nighttime sleep studies before pregnancy with results being nothing except borderline restless leg. I was given 48 hours to live in 2009 bc of the severity a case of malaria falciparum that I got on a military mission, and since then, I don't sleep well, don't heal quickly, and am constantly fatigued. Was given Ambien but am not a fan of sleep meds bc of the way they function, so rarely took it.)

Re: What do you do to help get sleep?

• scarlesscarles member
    edited December 2013
    I am having similar issues. No problem falling asleep but I cannot stay asleep! I am going to try the snoogle soon.
  • Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with a really sore back - I put a heating pad on it for a little while and that helps alleviate it.  Also, I tend to wake up just about every morning at 3:00 - 3:30 - I read for a little while and that helps me get back to sleep. 

And I try to sleep on my left side, but sometimes I have to shift ot the right side because my hip gets so sore.

Good luck - PG insomnia is the worst!

• Loading the player...
  • I move out onto the couch a lot. I find that laying on my side with the back support from the back of the couch is really helpful. I've also stolen a long, narrow pillow from our couch that's pretty much the same as a body pillow that I wrap myself around, but I actually find that a balled up blanket works better. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Try eating something with protein right before bed, either a protein shake or some peanut butter and crackers did wonders for me! I had the same problem of not staying asleep until a friend suggested the ensure shakes and now I barely wake up to pee!
  • My best insomnia cure is my husband. We have sex = we both sleep.

That gives me energy, so no can do. :(
  • I take 2 tablespoon of slepping liquid from cvs the generic for zzzquil but the cvs one is without alcohol and the main ingredient is Benadryl .
  • Unisom works really well for me.
  • sking72 said:

Maybe tmi, but whenever I wake up and can't fall back asleep, I masterbate and pass out pretty quick. Worth a try, cuz worst case you still had some fun...

Damn, good for you girl

• Unisom! If I don't take one before bed I'm legit up peeing all night long.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do Tylenol PM, helps with the back pain and falling asleep.
  • I've found using a hepa filter has worked well for me.  My problem in staying asleep was that I would get congested and couldn't breathe.  
  • BRBR member
    I take a warm bath before bed.  Also, reading usually makes me pass out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tylenol PM helps me get back to sleep. I wake up about 3a or 330a with my brain working overtime.  I don't use it every night, but after 3 or so sleepless nights I need to catch up! I am no good without sleep.

• I take Unisom for nausea and it definitely helps me sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought a body pillow from target. As soon as I lay down I am out. As a matter of fact, yesterday afternoon I walked back to the bedroom to get the laundry and woke up an hour later. No idea how I got in the bed and fell asleep.
  • I do a benedryl, just one, about a half hour or hour before bed. It helps. I'm not against meds though if they are safe, so I can't help you there! Before pregnancy? Wine! lol

Married 2005, DS: 2006, DD: 2008 EDD: 4/16/14- IT'S A GIRL! Scarlett Jean
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wake up between 5:30 and 6, run after a two year old all day and then collapse into bed. LOL
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm actually thinking of taking a benadryl tonight. I bounce between sleeping so-so, to sleeping really bad. And one really bad night leads to more. Last night was not so good. Being over tired really fucks up my sleep!!
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Maybe exercise a couple hours before bed, nice long stretch, eat a good meal with protein and then a hot bath?
  • I was super weirded out by meds while preg and took nothing with #1. #2 I was so nauseas I took unisom almost the whole pregnancy right before bed. He is perfectly healthy. I am not as sick with this one, but still take unisom 4 times a week to get good sleep. Totally recommended!!
  • Benadryl helps me when I can't sleep.
  • My doctor suggested Tylenol PM, but it has been known to have the opposite effect and cause restlessness/restless legs. It happens to me once in a blue moon but when it works, it WORKS.
  • I take Benadryl since I work overnights. Really helps me. Prior to pregnancy, I took melatonin and that really helped. There are no conclusive studies on melatonin and since it works on your brain-sleep chemicals, I wouldn't advise it as safe during pregnancy. I extensively researched it because it was the only thing that worked! I also agree about white noise. We use a fan on high and that really helps drown out noises.

Sorry you are having such a hard time.
  • I agree with the white noise! We usually alternate between an oscillating heater and a fan. On the nights when the temperature is perfect and we don't turn one of them on, I notice that I sleep horribly. It's TOO quiet for me.
  • An orgasm or benedryl
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I had to get my own comforter. I burrito in it and ball up parts wherever I need support. I had to use a small, thick pillow for under belly/between legs. Body pillow didn't work for me. I did pregnancy yoga before bed last night and slept like a rock...minus a few times to pee lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got some of those wax earplugs (child sized) and have been amazed at how much better I sleep. I usually wake often and have trouble falling back asleep, but with them in I sleep deeper and longer. I cant use the reg kind, I wake up with headaches.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"