School-Aged Children
Options

Year Round schedule?

Does anyone have kids on a year round schedule?  We're touring a charter school next week that does this and I'm curious about how well it works for other people.  We are a 2 working parent household with me working typically only 3 days/week in the office and flexible work from home the other 2 days.  Their schedule appears to have a 2 or 3 week break in October, a month around Christmas/New Years, 2 weeks in the spring and 6 weeks in the summer.  My biggest concern is how the transition is back to school with the longer breaks throughout the school year.  Also, how did you handle child care during that time?  It looks like they have a program implemented through the YMCA but it is really expensive compared to what we would typically pay for child care.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Re: Year Round schedule?

• Options
    I should mention that DS will be in kindergarten next year so has no previous school experience :) 
  • Options

My kids are in a tradional public school but since DH and I both work, they do the school release programs and summer camp.  I would love the schedule you are talking about as long as it didn't interfear with camp - to me, having my kids to go to day and overnight camp is a huge thing and I would be upset if that couldn't happen.

As far as the breaks, I think coming back after a few weeks off would be way easier than after the 9 weeks that summer vacation is.  After breaks, my kids take a or two to adjust back to the routine and that is mainly due to the fact that we tend to stay up later on breaks vs being away from school.  Both of my girls love school and being with their friends.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"