November 2013 Moms

Power outage w/a newborn

The meteorologists and power companies are predicting an ice storm that could leave much of the state without power for the next week. I'm stressed about keeping our LO warm and functioning without power, of course. Luckily, he's nursing well so no worries about losing stored milk or anything. Just wondering if anyone has been through this before and has tips. I've pulled out all his warmest clothes for easy access and have blankets washed and ready. Just keeping my fingers crossed this isn't as bad as predicted for now!

Re: Power outage w/a newborn

• Same here! We had to formula feed Valerie :( I'm still not emotionally ok with it (my milk never came in). I'm super worried about what we will do without power. We don't live close to family either and I'm worried our house will be freezing even with tons of blankets.

I'm sending DH to get bottled water when he gets off work.
  • The day we came home from the hospital we had really bad storms a and lost power for hours at a time. The best you can do is try and keep them warm with clothes and blankets. Hoping the storm isn't as bad as predicted.

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I think skin to skin with lost of blankies. Your body will hear up to keep LO warm. Any chance you can get or rent a generator so you can use heating pads. Make sure you have gas in the car, if it gets really bad, you can always sit in there with the heat running. Good luck!!

• Do you have a fireplace? Stock up on wood if you do. If not stock up on candles, scented or unscented, whatever your preference. You can all get bundled up in a room with a door that closes, like your bedroom, cover up the windows with blankets (to trap heat in) and light a bunch of candles in that room. They put off a surprising amount of heat and could help keep that room bearable. There are also propane space heaters, but you'd have to look and see if they are rated for indoor use. I don't recall if they make any for indoor heating. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Same here! We had to formula feed Valerie :( I'm still not emotionally ok with it (my milk never came in). I'm super worried about what we will do without power. We don't live close to family either and I'm worried our house will be freezing even with tons of blankets. I'm sending DH to get bottled water when he gets off work.

For heating bottles, get a propane camping stove. Those are safe to use inside. And stock up on lots of the cans of propane and you should be ok. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • When my friends lost heat in their house last winter, they picked up plastic construction sheeting and sectioned off the living room from the rest of the house. They lived in the living room with the wood stove. The sheeting kept the cold from the other rooms from creeping in, and the warmth from the stove from getting out. It would have kept that room warmer than the others even without the stove though. Be careful with propane heaters. We have a lot of deaths here every year from people using them inside. I'm not sure if they make ones for indoors or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"