Breastfeeding
Options

Anyone else not lose weight while BF

jamiem538jamiem538 member
edited December 2013 in Breastfeeding
Everyone talks about losing so much weight while they BF. I'm almost 3 mo post partum, working out, eating well and am on my feet all day at work. Yet the scale won't budge. Not to mention there's a 5 lb difference btw my scale and the one at the doctors. Anyone else in the same boat or gone through this... Advice?

Re: Anyone else not lose weight while BF

• Options
    I read somewhere that some women will hold onto some weight while breastfeeding and will lose it when they are done. I can't remember why this happens, but 3 months isn't that long, give yourself some time. The weight will come off. It took 9 months to cook your baby so it'll take about that long to get your bod back. good luck!
  • Options
    I EPed for a year with my son and my weight never budged. Once I dried up I lost about 5-10 lbs. it's like my body held on to the fat to help make milk.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup! I've got an extra 10lbs, and if I eat less or exercise more, I can't pump enough while at work. So I'm just rolling with it. My mom was the same way, and said she lost the weight when we weaned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Some women do hold on to weight.  However, make sure you are eating enough calories as that can easily cause you to hold onto the weight.  If you are full time nursing and working out you easily need 200-2500 calories per day.  If you are taking in too little, then your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to the weight.
  • Options
    With my first child, my weight melted right off. With this one, not so much. My scale is broken, so I couldn't give you a number. However, my pants are just starting to loosen up. I 'm 9 months PP and up until 5 or 6 months I had an over supply. When they leveled, my clothes became looser. Everyone is different, I suppose. Likewise, every nursing experience is different .
    Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• Options
    I didn't lose any weight until after 6 months postpartum and now the lbs are coming off as long as I eat enough and stay hydrated.
  • Options
    I am still up about 12 lbs at 5 months pp. I have lost 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks and haven't changed anything in my diet or exercise. I hope it continues!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    I held on to 15 to 20 pounds for a while. And than magically it started to fall off!! Somewhere after 4 months I think. My prepregnancy clothes are fitting decently. There are still a handful of things I don't fit in. But it's fine it will in time. :)

Don't stress! Just nurse that baby and add in working out when / if you want.
  • Options
    I feel like I'm in the same boat. Only 8wks pp but I haven't lost any weight in 3wks and I am eating really healthy and starting to workout.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm the same way and was so disappointed because all I ever heard was how nursing burns 500 calories a day and melts the weight away. Well that is not the case for me. The first two weeks I lost 20 pounds and I can't lose that last 15, the scale has not budged! I eat pretty healthy and workout regularly. I am 3 mo pp and I guess now am hoping I'll be able to lose it later when I decide to stop BF. At first I was upset, but I finally bought some bigger clothes and am just going with it since I know this is whats best for my baby. It's just frustrating.
  • Options
    Yes!  I want to kill everyone who told me that the weight would fall off if I breastfed.  It didn't.  I'm 15 months post partum, but still nursing, and I still have about 20 pounds to lose (I gained 40 during pregnancy).  Now that DS only nurses in the morning and night, I can tell that my appetite is waning, and I have more time and energy to work out.  I'm hoping to start losing more soon.

• Options
    I gained a ton of weight while pregnant-- I lost maybe 10-15 right away, than flatlined until about 10 months PP when I got my first period, since then I've lost maybe another 15 and am finally fitting into my pre-preg clothes.  I think I held onto weight while LO was EBF,but once she started eating solid foods and BFing a little less, my body got closer to its normal self.  I'm still pumping twice a day but I'd say I'm nearly back to my pre-pregnancy size now at a year PP, though I could benefit from a few situps...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"