March 2014 Moms

Glucose Test in the afternoon??

lnvane00lnvane00 member
edited December 2013 in March 2014 Moms

My midwife scheduled my Glucose test for 5pm on the 30th. I told my supervisor this today and she questioned me about it being in the afternoon instead of in the morning. She said "Well that's weird they usually have you do them in the morning on an empty stomach. So do you get to eat at all during the day?" I said I know I can eat but it has to be something healthy, which I have no clue what I will be eating that day yet.

I am supposed to drink the drink at 4:30 and then my appointment is at 5...

Are any of you having your test done in the afternoon or should I try to reschedule it for in the morning?? And also, what should I eat for breakfast and lunch that day that would be 'Safe' enough that it wouldnt interfere with my results. I am already scared to death about this test because I have to get my blood drawn so I HAVE to pass this thing. I CANNOT do the 3 hour one. Does anyone have any advice on how to 'make sure' I pass it?

Obvious FTM here, so I'm sorry if my questions are dumb

Thanks!

Engaged 12-12-10 Married 5-12-12 Baby Jaxon 3-23-14 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

Re: Glucose Test in the afternoon??

• My ob only does them in the morning, so I'm no help there, but she suggested eggs for breakfast, or something else with protein in it, though basically her suggestions ended with "As long as you don't eat donuts or anything too sugary you're fine."

Maybe call the office and ask what they suggest eating beforehand?
    imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • My husband has diabetes, so every once in awhile I test my blood sugar using his meter. A few weeks ago I was starving at 4:30, despite eating breakfast, lunch, and a few snacks, the last one at 3:30. My blood sugar was 67! If you don't have GD, I don't think it matters what you eat during the day. Just stop eating at least an hour before you drink the drink. If your doctor wanted you to eat differently that day, he or she would have told you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine is tomorrow afternoon and I drink it 30min before my appt. I don't plan on altering anything about my diet--if I have it I want it to be picked up and if I don't I'm not worried about it. I don't plan to eat candy all day, but I don't do that anyway. Well...not most days. ;)
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• You don't have to fast for the test, so doing it in the afternoon is fine.  There also isn't really a way to screw with the results...I mean, don't sit there and eat spoonfuls of sugar, maybe stick to a healthier lunch and breakfast with limited carbs and more protein, but if simply eating breakfast could screw with the results, they would give you an actual diet to follow on the day of.

The only way to "definitely pass" the GTT is to not have GD....besides, if there were a way to pass under false pretenses, why would you want to?  Having uncontrolled GD creates many complications for LO, including stillbirth.  Why can you not take the 3 hour?  I suppose if you fail the one hour you could just have them treat you as a diabetic and follow the diet for the rest of your pregnancy, but many people fail the one hour, only to pass the three....I wouldn't want to subject myself to following a GD diet for the next 3-4 months instead of taking one three hour test.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• I get mine done at the lab in the hospital tomorrow afternoon.  My OB said that although they say you can eat what you want, to watch the sugary stuff, she tested positive for GD because of what she ate the day of the test (turns out she didn't have GD).  I drink the stuff at 2:30 and have my blood drawn at 3:30, I'm planning on eggs for breakfast and a big salad for lunch.  Unfortunately I have had major sweet tooth since the BFP, so it's going to be hard to stay away from the sugar/fruit for the day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok thanks ladies! This does help and it helps me figure out what to eat that day also.

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

• Does it surprise any of you that doctor's/midwives don't give out more info about this testing? I did get a sheet of paper telling me to eat high protein foods and stay away from sugary stuff. Did mine this morning. I think it is worse if you do fast. I had eggs for breakfast, but that is not normal for me (usually have an egg sandwich and was dying to have OJ), but oh well. It was fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FbibaophodjdojkjjsojdlskslsbphvSw
    Waa
    A
    YXk 111@!:&?&bh$ opKjjzlndkhkdhdjjdjdjdififdlgdghsy
  • my 1 hour was whenever I wanted it and i didnt have to fast, just eat like normal

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• I have mine tomorrow afternoon. OB said just not to eat anything with a lot of sugar. Fingers crossed I pass! I have no time next week for the 3 hour!

TTC #1 Since 7/2011

Me: 30, PCOS with anovulation
    DH: 38, Low Morph & DE
    Rx: Metformin 500mg

Cycle #1: Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel = No Response, Canceled
    Cycle #2: Clomid 150mg + Ovidrel = No Response, Canceled
    Cycle #3: Clomid 150mg + Follistim + Ovidrel = No response, Canceled

Cycle #4: Femara 7.5mg + Gonal-f + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP!!!!

~ EDD 03.26.14 ~

• They don't make appointments for glucose tests at my doctors office. They just give you the lab paperwork and tell you to come in whenever...which means I postponed mine from being at 24 weeks to 27 weeks. Oops! They told me not to eat anything with sugar... If you can I would try to reschedule it for the morning? It'll be easier that way IMO
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine is in the afternoon next Tuesday. My doctor said I don't need to fast, but try to stay away from anything too sugary that day.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • Does it surprise any of you that doctor's/midwives don't give out more info about this testing? I did get a sheet of paper telling me to eat high protein foods and stay away from sugary stuff. Did mine this morning. I think it is worse if you do fast. I had eggs for breakfast, but that is not normal for me (usually have an egg sandwich and was dying to have OJ), but oh well. It was fine.
    I don't understand what is surprising or not straightforward. They give you x amount of carbohydrates and see how your body responds.

The only time they want you to not eat before the test is if they need to get a fasting blood draw, which is usually a part of the 3 hour test if I'm not mistaken. There is no diet that can alter or affect the results. If your body is responding poorly to sugar intake, even eating a few spoonfuls of sugar before the appointment shouldn't matter for a "normal" person.
    imageimage
  • My test is in the afternoon as well and my doc said I didn't need to fast nor did he mention any food restrictions. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My test will be in the afternoon. I was told not to fast.

imageimage

• Mine is in the afternoon. I was told to eat normally and not to fast.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine was specifically non fasting. I ate normal for me - a bowl of frosted mini wheats with milk for breakfast and then a snack of a fage yogurt with honey about 9am and drank the drink at 11am and passed so I don't think what you eat one day is going to make you fail it in particular
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Waa
    A

I find it funny that nobody said anything about this. Is anybody actually reading the responses? Lol.
    Or maybe you're the only one who doesn't understand the code. :-p
  • Yes I read that and stared at it for a minute... and was just like ooook..moving on. Looks like a little one was trying to type lol or someone was just trying to be funny?

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

Waa
    A

I find it funny that nobody said anything about this. Is anybody actually reading the responses? Lol.
    Or maybe you're the only one who doesn't understand the code. :-p
    Oohh good one.. yea its 'the code' ;)

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

Waa
    A

I was just about to mention it. It made me chuckle and think someone left their phone out and a toddler got a hold of it.

As for the tests--- with ds1 I took the one hour and was told to eat a high protein breakfast. I failed that one and had to take the three hour. Which I was advised to fast for. So I think (as someone mentioned above) it varies on which one you are taking. And if you still aren't sure what to do... Call your dr or midwife :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"