July 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else have trouble getting nausea meds prescribed?

I just called my MW office and asked if they could prescribe me some anti-nausea medication. The nurse asked what I had already done and I told her (bland foods, suckers, small meals, dry cereal, ginger ale, etc.). She said they could, but she faxed me a list first of stuff they want you to try first...most I already told her I did!

So now I have to go and buy Seabands, ginger stuff, B6, Unisom, coke syrup, Emetrol, and meclizine.

This is ridiculous. Give me drugs.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Anyone else have trouble getting nausea meds prescribed?

• Options
    Sorry and hope you find relief!  My doc prescribed me nausea medicine before I even had the symptoms to make sure I had it on hand.  While I like zofran, the constipation part is not fun at all!  I have determined what is better - nausea or constipation!

I would call them back in a day or two and tell them it's not working and you are miserable! Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is annoying! I've never had a problem getting Zofran from my MW. My 1st pregnancy I did try a lot of the non-med stuff first and none of it worked at all. This time I didn't even bother and just called and asked for the drugs. Hope you get your drugs soon!
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options

I'm having an adversion to crackers right now too (of course), and I swear the next person that suggest I eat a cracker I'm going to punch.

Crackers are dumb.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    edited December 2013

With my first I called and the sweet little nurse was like ok you need to try weak tea, sour foods, crackers and dramamine. I called back 24 hours and later as was all, "Listen. Let me break this down for you chick: I CAN'T STOP THROWING EVERY THING THAT I PUT INTO MY BLESSED STOMACH UP! GIVE ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS!

I was so pissed. And a script for zogran and phenegran was called in.

This time I called and I was like look in my chart from last time. See that hospitalization? See that crazy weight loss? I need the drugs. She called them in no problem post haste.

I will say that FOR ME the diclegis has worked better than the zofran this go round. Last time the zofran worked well, but not this time. Like PP said Diclegis is the unisom/B6 combo. I take one at breakfast, one at lunch and two at bed.

ETA: I really hope you feel better! Feeling this way constantly is miserable!

• Options
    Wow that stinks. I agree, go straight to the vit b and unisom. The bands do nothing...even when you push them the heck into your pressure points;)

I'm an all natural type of girl too, but I CANNOT take being nauseas. I have it too much with uncontrolled migraines. I don't go directly to the meds if other things work, but yeah, that's kinda silly they are being so obstinate.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    Mine wont prescribe meds unless you truly can't keep anything down. 

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Options
    My doctor prescribed Zofran even though I don't really need it. I'm nauseous but not enough to really need meds for it, I don't think. I'll go fill it and then mail them to you! ;-)

• Options
    B6 and Unisom is the same as Diclegis. It does work for most (not all), and is definitely a safer drug for babies than Zofran. I'm finding relief from barfing with Unisom alone (B6 in low dose was troublesome to find).
  • Options

B6 and Unisom is the same as Diclegis. It does work for most (not all), and is definitely a safer drug for babies than Zofran. I'm finding relief from barfing with Unisom alone (B6 in low dose was troublesome to find).

Yep, I could only find 100mg for B6. I only found Emetrol and Unisom, so hopefully the Unisom alone helps a bit.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
     You'd probably find them online. My husband gets supplements at dps.com.
    imageimage"">

• Options
    Yeah I told them that I started throwing up and my appetite was decreasing and that I wanted a Zofran script.  Got it no problem.  I would be pushy and request it though.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    tealowl said:

I'm just not keen on buying all this stuff OTC and wasting money if it doesn't work. I'd rather just pay an RX copay and get Zofran or something like that.

Seriously, WTF is coke syrup? It sounds like something I'd buy off a guy in an alley.

Brahahaha! You crack me up!
    I will say that I enjoy my Seabands, but I look like a complete ass if I wear them in public.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

My mom bought Coke syrup for me out of one of her holistic magazines and I immediately puked it up.  Maybe it's a special kind of coke syrup, like the real deal lol.  I'm all for trying anything that works but I always have to go to the Zofran and now I'm on Compazine.  I only take them when I'm desperate.  I have to work and can't be throwing up in the OR trash cans.  I don't think vomit is sterile by any means.  Hopefully I won't have to on them the whole pregnancy like before because the constipation is horrific.   

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have been very sick with this pregnancy and my ob asked how I was feeling the other week and I told her terrible. I've tried it all and nothing helped in fact the ginger made it worse and I couldn't keep it down she immediately gave me a prescription but after trying it about three times it makes me extremely exhausted and tired. Not worth it to me especially not with a 15 month old running around
  • Options

The Unisom helped ALOT last night, although I fell asleep super early, woke up at 9pm for a bit, then back to sleep.

I'm hesistant to take today because of that, but I think if I start to feel queasy I'll take half a pill and see what happens.

I didn't puke this AM, and I have no stomachache so far, so that's awesome.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    That's really annoying...hopefully they'll give you Zofran when you call back! It's a lifesaver. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    michellexmmichellexm member
    edited December 2013
    Did you take 1/2 tab or 1 full tab?  Usually they recommend 1/2 tab three times daily.  This seems to be working for me and doesn't make me sleepy.  A full tab would likely knock me out though.

Try taking a smaller portion of the tablet if you're getting too sleepy.  Use a pill splitter if necessary.

The difference between ondansetron (Zofran) and doxylamine (Unisom) is that you should use the doxylamine preventatively -- don't wait until you feel nauseous.  Take it three times daily, at scheduled times, whether you feel good or not.  Ondansetron is more of a "rescue" med, to be taken when you're feeling bad already.

I found some low dose B6 on Amazon, by the way, through third party sellers.  Not the best place to buy (I feel sketchy buying pills on there from people I don't know), but it's an option at least.
  • Options
    I had my first appointment two weeks ago, at 7 weeks, and I tried to get Zofran then.  I've been on zofran with both of my previous pregnancies.  With both of them I spent time in the hospital for such severe vomiting that I was malnourished- no matter what I tried to do.

Since i moved out of state 9 months ago, I do not have my usual doctor.  I asked for the Zofran to have it on hand, explaining my previous problems.  Already I have strong nausea, and nothing seems to be working.  I'm miserable, but I've managed to keep at least a large portion of food down so far.

The MW told me she didn't wnat to give it to me if she didn't have to, and told me to pick up emetrol instead- I had already attempted every other suggestion she had.  As it turned out the emetrol only made me sicker.

I have an appointment in a week, and i've absolutely decided that I will not be leaving without a script for Zofran.  I'll take the constipation any day, I'd much rather know I'm able to keep much needed nutrients down when I can stomach eating them.
  • Options
    Peppermint oil is counter indicated in pregnancy!!
  • Options
    No offense, but I actually think it's ridiculous how easily doctors seem to prescribe medication for morning sickness.  I'll openly admit I'm not a huge fan of drugs, especially ones that are also taken by cancer patients to help them with their nausea...

Constipation is a side effect of a lot of those types of drugs, which isn't my deterrent, but what happened back in the 50s with the prescription for morning sickness (thalidamide) is.  No thanks for having a baby with flippers (not that that happens all the time, or would happen with the newer drugs, it's just scary enough for me to exhaust any other method before I even would think about it).
  • Options
    Wow. I've never even seen my OB before, and my first appointment isn't for another 2 weeks. But when I called his nurse in tears from the ER, she called me in a script right away. They're awesome.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm doing vit b6 and wear sea bands daily. I have 100 mg tabs and use a pill cutter to split them in quarters.
    BFP 11/10/13 due July 20th, 2014
    TTC #2 July 2013
    DS #1 8/12/2011

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also not a big fan of crackers. But have found pretzels to be much better for me.
    BFP 11/10/13 due July 20th, 2014
    TTC #2 July 2013
    DS #1 8/12/2011

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    alyssa719 said:
    No offense, but I actually think it's ridiculous how easily doctors seem to prescribe medication for morning sickness.  I'll openly admit I'm not a huge fan of drugs, especially ones that are also taken by cancer patients to help them with their nausea...

Constipation is a side effect of a lot of those types of drugs, which isn't my deterrent, but what happened back in the 50s with the prescription for morning sickness (thalidamide) is.  No thanks for having a baby with flippers (not that that happens all the time, or would happen with the newer drugs, it's just scary enough for me to exhaust any other method before I even would think about it).

Well, none of us have heard of any babies being born with 'flippers' because mothers took Zofran...which is a complety different drug than thalidomide. It's ridiculous to compare it to a drug that was shelved over 50 years old.

Doctors give out medications for many, many things. It doesn't mean they are giving them out willy-nilly...it's part of their job.

Nausea is a side effect of many issues - it doesn't matter if it's from cancer or pregnancy, it's the same thing.

Also, when you start a sentence with 'no offense' - it means you're about to be offensive.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    alyssa719 said:

I also find it really funny that you have so many women that are all "Give Me Zofran!!!" now and "Med Free Birth, because you know that stuff gets to the baby!!!" later. 

I totally get sometimes the other ways of helping nausea don't work.  I also am not knocking those that have hyperemesis gravidarum.  I think a lot of people are falling on Zofran for normal nausea induce by pregnancy when it is not necessary.

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Options
    My OB last time preferred to avoid meds. She said she really wanted to wait until a mom was losing weight and exhaust other options. Because technically it isn't the safest option. So although I was sick every day of my last pregnancy, I went without meds. This time is way worse and I have a toddler, so I will be pushing for the meds this time. I also have a new OB (loved my old one, hated her office staff) so we shall see.

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • Options
    My doctor prescribed Diclegis, two at night, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, zofran as needed during the day and phenergan at night. Today is finally the first day I have been out of bed or off the couch, even if it was only for 20 minutes I'll take it! The sea bands helped a little too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"