Dads & Dads-to-be

Presents for First Time Dad

I'm creeping on here to get some ideas from you guys. My fiance and I are expecting our first on Jan 3. It's going to be a boy and I wanted to do something special for Christmas for my guy. He is in the Army reserves and is a country lover. Just to give you a little background. Any ideas of decently priced gifts that would knock his socks off? Thank you!!

Re: Presents for First Time Dad

• I would say  that some kind of keepsake with a picture of his son that he can have close to him while he is deployed might be a good idea.  Being away from his little one could be hard, so having his picture close to him might help him through those deployments.  When our son was a newborn, I could not have enough pictures of him around me at work.  I missed him a lot when I returned to work.

I am a city boy, so as far as country is concerned, the only thing I know is a lot of the women singers are really, really hot!  Can't help you there.

• Well he is a reservist and hasn't been deployed yet and doesn't have the possibility in the near future. And I have thought about doing a picture frame, but the only pictures we have are ultrasounds because our son isn't due til the 3 of January.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, my wife put a copy of the US in a few frames for me before he was born.  There are so many cool Dad frames out there, just opening that present up, and seeing the US in a Dad frame will feel pretty cool to him.  Us dads are pretty easy when it comes to our kids.  Being called a dad for the first 100 times or more was pretty freakin' awesome for me.  I think we all feel that way for a while.

I work with some reservist's and they are gone all the time, so I wasn't sure if your man was in that same boat.  I would think something kid related would really go over well, because you guys are close enough that meeting his son is on his mind 24/7 right now for sure.

• I'm thinking of doing a frame, or a daddy survival kit. Since he has never changed a diaper before, I thought I could put a little humor in it while still giving him things he would like and appreciate. 
  • Don't forget his drink of choice in the survival kit.

• Jack Honey and Coke, too bad I don't turn 21 until Jan 13...
  • ladyjenna13ladyjenna13 member
    edited December 2013
    I'm thinking of doing a frame, or a daddy survival kit. Since he has never changed a diaper before, I thought I could put a little humor in it while still giving him things he would like and appreciate. 

Actually, along those lines, getting him his own diaper bag might be a good gift idea.  My wife has a Vera Bradley diaper bag, so me carrying that around is out of the question.  The one I have is backpack style and is much more "male".  And as I typed that out, I though of another idea.....

One of the best things we picked up this summer was a backpack carrier for the boy.  God, I wish we would have done it sooner!!  It made my life so much easier when we were walking around the state fair, or at a baseball game.  Or even just hiking.  The zoo too.  The best thing, besides me being able to carry him for hours in that thing, is that we didn't need the stroller when we used the backpack.  My son loved it as well, because he was eye level with me now, seeing everything I was from 6 feet up.  Here is the one we have, it is a Chicco:image

• We already received the carrier that he had picked out from one of my showers. I was thinking of throwing in matching daddy/baby shirt/onesie combo.
  • Buy them matching Thomas and Friends pj's :))

• He does want a pair of footie pajamas lol

This is the diaper bag I got.  I liked it because it has a pocket for his bottle and an ice pack.  It also has a changing mat so I am not putting him on those nasty changing station surfaces.  I am very happy that I never had to walk around with that Vera Bradley bag around my shoulder!! 

• Booze and BJ.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • LuckyDad said:
    Booze and BJ.
    Followed by a sandwich with the tv remote.

• Cute guys. Not sexist at all lol. 
  • Cute guys. Not sexist at all lol. 
    We've just been through this question so many times before. The fact is men are pretty simple creatures. We don't need push presents. A lot of us *do* feel sex starved during pregnancy, and can never have too many blowjobs. Sexual intimacy is valuable to a couple, and trust me, you won't be getting much of that in the first three months of having a precious little one around.

Otherwise, you know your dude better than we do as far as gifts go.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • LuckyDad said:
    Cute guys. Not sexist at all lol. 
    We've just been through this question so many times before. The fact is men are pretty simple creatures. We don't need push presents. A lot of us *do* feel sex starved during pregnancy, and can never have too many blowjobs. Sexual intimacy is valuable to a couple, and trust me, you won't be getting much of that in the first three months of having a precious little one around.

Well I wasn't thinking of a push present for him, just a cute soon-to-be-father themed Christmas present. And I understand about the whole sex starved. We had to both move back to our parents houses, so we don't even live together right now. Got to love it when things happen outside of your control and flip your world on its head. Trust me, I can appreciate a good roll in the hay. We both are feeling deprived. Maybe he'll get lucky on his birthday, or mine. (his is jan 14, mine is jan 13 lol)
  • LuckyDad said:

Cute guys. Not sexist at all lol. 

(CLAPPING) Well said!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"