Working Moms
Options

Small DC issues-would these bother you?

I havent said anything and dont plan to but a few smaller things I have noticed in the last month that have bothered me about DC. First was...I went to pick him up one day and got there at 530. He was standing in the crib, not crying, but whining and clearly wanted to get out. His sheet said he woke up at 5pm. Now i dont know if he was in there for the entire half hour whining or if that started a few min before i got there. at home he wakes up very pleasant and i let him play in his crib for 5-10 min before i get him...but he was clearly trying to get out and no idea how long he was in there by himself waiting for someone to get him. it just made me feel sad for him.  About a week later when i dropped him off...his main teacher was in there alone....3 kids were in cribs fast asleep and she had 4 on the floor with her. Now the ratio (the centers and state law) is 4:1, I dont know if that means kids that are awake or includes kids that sleeps. I lingered for 5 min and one of the floaters came in. I made a passing comment like wow you are all by yourself with all these kids...but i didnt escalate anything.  THe 3rd was this week. Its been freezing here and when I went to pick up DS he was fine but 2 of the other little boys had no socks on. I always think its a little cold in there and DS hands are cold but i dress him accordingly and hes fine. If I were one of the parents of a boy with no socks on i would have been really annoyed.

I am not saying anything about any of these situations because they are minor. I just found them to be annoying and not really things I want to be a habit over there. Would they annoy you at all?

Re: Small DC issues-would these bother you?

• Options

Crib - it would annoy me, but I wouldn't say anything unless I saw it again.  Once isn't an issue but a habit of leaving an awake baby in the crib is.

Ratio - I would mention it if I saw it again.  I tend to be okay with a few minutes of being out of ratio assuming that people go to the bathroom or have floaters coming and going

Cold - our daycare purposely keeps the room cold to help keep germs away.  I leave it up to the parents to dress the child appropriately.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Crib- I wouldn't mind unless it happened consistently. I'm confused why she left him in there since she knew he was awake (would make more sense if he was quietly playing and she didn't notice he had woken up).

Ratio- I do think she was out of ratio, pretty sure the nap rule doesn't apply to infants. But again I wouldn't say something unless it happened again.

Socks- the babies probably won't keep them on, not an issue. If parents want their feet covered thy could dress them in sleep-n-plays.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I should say with the crib there...he was the last infant in his room so while he was sleepign they wheeled him into the Waddler room to be with the 3 other kids that were still left. So he was wheeled in and when i got there one teacher was holding another baby and the other teacher looked like she was either packing  up someones bag or washing a bottle or something. I am ASSUMING that he was fine until a min or 2 before I got there because at home when he wakes up he does play with his lovey etc until I get him. So thats why i didnt say anything.

for the ratios, thats the other thing i was thinking...maybe someone else was in there and ran to the bathroom, thats why i made the somewhat passive aggressive comment and then someone came in a few min later. When I have gotten there I look in the one way viewing mirror and have seen plenty of times where hes on the teachers lap and fully engaged...so I probably just caught a few annoying instances in a row, which is why i didnt say anything. Overall I am very happy with the center, and its a national chain that is NAECY accredited so I trust they follow the rules, I was just bothered. Ok thanks ladies!

• Options
    How small is small? My child goes to a licensed in-home provider with only three kids. When my provider has to go to the bathroom, she does separate the kids in cribs - it's just a minute or two and it's to keep them in a safe place. That doesn't bother me at all and is preferable to leaving them unattended and free to claw at each other. So if your place is that small, I would have just simply asked - oh, has he been in here since 5pm? When did he wake up?

Ratio would bug me but maybe the floater was just in the restroom when you stepped in? Again, I might have asked - oh, are you with this room this morning? If they generally don't keep ratio, I'm sure you'll see it again. Just keep an eye out and you'll quickly know if they aren't following the rules. 

Socks would not bug me. It is nearly impossible to keep some kid's socks on. They learn to pull them off from an early age. You could mention the temp to the direct if you really think it's too cold. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How small is small? My child goes to a licensed in-home provider with only three kids. When my provider has to go to the bathroom, she does separate the kids in cribs - it's just a minute or two and it's to keep them in a safe place. That doesn't bother me at all and is preferable to leaving them unattended and free to claw at each other. So if your place is that small, I would have just simply asked - oh, has he been in here since 5pm? When did he wake up?

Ratio would bug me but maybe the floater was just in the restroom when you stepped in? Again, I might have asked - oh, are you with this room this morning? If they generally don't keep ratio, I'm sure you'll see it again. Just keep an eye out and you'll quickly know if they aren't following the rules. 

Socks would not bug me. It is nearly impossible to keep some kid's socks on. They learn to pull them off from an early age. You could mention the temp to the direct if you really think it's too cold. 

by small i meant minor..not the size of the center...sorry!

• Options
    the crib thing wouldn't bother me unless it was an all the time thing. If they were changing diapers when my kid woke up I would expect that they had to wait to get out of the crib. Or maybe another kid need attention and your child was ok. Also I don't take to the times on the sheet as written in stone.
    She wasn't out of ratio at all unless I misread and counted wrong. It is 1 adult for 4 children 6weeks-18m. doesn't matter if they are sleeping or awake. You being in the room with your child didn't put her over the ratio. Only if you left would she been over, and this happens all the day are LO's daycare when kids are arrive and usually I tell the office on the way out or go back to the office and ask where to put my kid if she is the 5th.
    The sock thing!! Really???!!! do you know how hard it is to keep socks on kids?????
  • Options
    the crib thing wouldn't bother me unless it was an all the time thing. If they were changing diapers when my kid woke up I would expect that they had to wait to get out of the crib. Or maybe another kid need attention and your child was ok. Also I don't take to the times on the sheet as written in stone.
    She wasn't out of ratio at all unless I misread and counted wrong. It is 1 adult for 4 children 6weeks-18m. doesn't matter if they are sleeping or awake. You being in the room with your child didn't put her over the ratio. Only if you left would she been over, and this happens all the day are LO's daycare when kids are arrive and usually I tell the office on the way out or go back to the office and ask where to put my kid if she is the 5th.
    The sock thing!! Really???!!! do you know how hard it is to keep socks on kids?????

i count as part of keep in ratio when i am not an employee of the center?? i think you are very wrong there. coupled with the fact that she was alone in the roon when i arrived..which means she was over the ratio before i got there.

my kid keeps socks on his feet all day long. i guess i am just super lucky!

• Options
    Do you mean 3 in the crib plus 4 on the floor for a total of 7? then yes, she was over! I read it as 3 in the crib plus 1 on the floor for a total of four. That does change things a bit. Our handbook states that you are responsible for you child while you are in the room with them and in the hallways. At our center when a teacher is over they are to call the office and some shuffling happens within 5 minutes.  Sometimes a bunch of parents show up at once and it is chaos, but the kids are also staffed for certain times. So if LO isn't supposed to arrive until 8am and i get there at 730 our handbook says I have to stay with her until 8. There have been a time or two when for whatever reason someone is running later and the teacher has asked me to stay because they are over count and the teacher doesn't want to get fired. I wouldn't be happy if the teacher was okay with a total of 7 children in the room. If the floater had to go to the bathroom her coverage should have been inside the room before she left, not in the hallway about to enter the room or on her way to the room. Not having your children covered head count wise has gotten floaters fired at our center.  I would bring it up to the director and see how the response goes. If you aren't happy with it then I would follow up higher up on the chain. 
  • Options
    yes thats what i meant...3 sleeping...3 laying on the floor (ie too little to crawl around so they were laying on boppies) and one crawling around. and then me with my son.  so I am ASSUMING a floater was in there and i just missed them, which is why i hung around until someone else came in. i dont think its a habit im sure it was just a fluke thing...but i didnt like it. Esp bc DS is very mobile and climbing etc....so needs attention. I will definitely say something if i see it happen again. The other problem is DH usually drops him off in the morning...and while he would notice if it was drastic..i dont think he would pay attention if there was an extra kid in a crib, etc. so when I ask him I sort of get a blank stare...HA.
  • Options
    If it bothers you I would talk to someone at the daycare about if.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• Options
    The socks are not an issue at all...the kids might have taken the socks of themselves.  I send DD to the dayhome with socks on and she is always barefoot when I pick her up.  The owner puts the socks away after DD pulls them off the first time - otherwise DD would lose them.  They keep the house quite warm.

The crib thing might not be a big deal...but you can ask if it happens again why he is in his crib if he is not napping.

The care giver to kid ratio would be a bigger deal to me.  If it is a consistent issue, maybe ask about that.  Maybe they have a higher ratio throughout the day but the other daycare providers need to take breaks etc.
  • Options
    I would write on his daily sheet please keep his socks on at all times and ignore the other stuff.
  • Options
    Once I went and my 15 month old was in a jumper!! I was pissed but I remembered there could have been a situation going on where they needed to keep her safe. So that's why I say ignore the crib thing and amount of kids, the helper could have been using the restroom.
  • Options
    My old daycare did small annoying stuff all the time. The problem was, they weren't state licensed so I felt like I had to be extra diligent. So I ended up bringing up a lot of issues (they were leaving DS in his highchair for really long periods of time, constantly breaking ratio requirements, etc.) They ended up telling me I was too demanding and we left. You never know what is going on (good or bad) but if you are bothered at all, it doesn't hurt to look around for another place if you don't feel like they are open to questions or feedback.
  • Options
    PseudoMamaPseudoMama member
    edited December 2013
    jlaOK said:

Crib - it would annoy me, but I wouldn't say anything unless I saw it again.  Once isn't an issue but a habit of leaving an awake baby in the crib is.

Ratio - I would mention it if I saw it again.  I tend to be okay with a few minutes of being out of ratio assuming that people go to the bathroom or have floaters coming and going

Cold - our daycare purposely keeps the room cold to help keep germs away.  I leave it up to the parents to dress the child appropriately.

Really keeping the room a couple of degrees colder kills viruses? Are we talking about 40 degrees here?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"