Working Moms
Options

12 caregivers to buy for?

The daycare sent an email listing everyone's name for Christmas and said there's a total of 12 caregivers. Some I know work part time and some I see and interact with a lot more. My husband feels everyone should receive the same regardless. As an educator I'd love to be able to give them each a $20 gift card but I can't afford that much. I don't want to give mugs, ornaments, lotion or candles or candy as a teacher we are overwhelmed with it. Is a $10 gift card for Dunkin donuts ok with a nice note? Any ideas?

Re: 12 caregivers to buy for?

• Options
    I like the $10 gift card idea. Who doesn't love coffee and donuts? For the amount of caregivers you have I would definitely keep it at $10.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Honestly in that situation I'd buy a gift for each of the teachers my child(ren) interact with the most, and then bring in donuts for everyone with a card addressed to all sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas

This is what I did when DS was in DC and there were a lot of PT teachers.  I would not buy gifts for 12 caregivers - I'd rather spend a little more on LO's main teachers and the rest can share goodies.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly in that situation I'd buy a gift for each of the teachers my child(ren) interact with the most, and then bring in donuts for everyone with a card addressed to all sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas

But wouldn't you feel slighted when you saw others with gifts? We don't want anyone that handles our babies to feel that way, ya know? I initially said more for those I deal with more but when I look at their daily sheet everyone diapers and feeds them.

• Options
    Reilly626 said:
    But wouldn't you feel slighted when you saw others with gifts? We don't want anyone that handles our babies to feel that way, ya know? I initially said more for those I deal with more but when I look at their daily sheet everyone diapers and feeds them.
    I'd be a little more concerned that the main caregivers would feel slighted to only get a $10 DD card, but I do see your point.  Maybe ask some of the other parents what they are doing?

• Options
    I'm in the exact same boat, and am still confused about what to do.  Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ to be as generous as I'd like.  Pllth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the exact same boat, and am still confused about what to do.  Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ to be as generous as I'd like.  Pllth.

If they're all getting the same amount, I don't see why the caregivers would feel slighted. You're not obligated to buy a gift at all- anything that you give is generous IMO. With 12 teachers, I think you're being very fair and you're also not the only Mom. They'll be getting something from each parent.
  • Options
    This is why I love that my kids' school parent committee requests a set amount from each parent, pools the money to buy gift cards for each, and presents each teacher with a nice goodie basket including gift card.

I think a DD gift card and nice note for each caregiver is perfect.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I don't know how many children are in your center but say you has 20 and everyone gave a gift ranging from $5-$20. Can you imagine how much they are actually getting. I know not everyone will give a gift or give money/gift cards but a $10 gc is more than acceptable.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow! That's a lot in my opinion even $10 per person is over $100. I always get her 2 teachers a $25 gift card to Target and I buy dounts or pizza for everyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Katie829 said:
    I don't know how many children are in your center but say you has 20 and everyone gave a gift ranging from $5-$20. Can you imagine how much they are actually getting. I know not everyone will give a gift or give money/gift cards but a $10 gc is more than acceptable.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited November 2013
    I am very confused by this, there are 12 in the whole center? how many does your LO actually see? I have never heard of a center giving names of ppl if they are not in your LO's class or interacting...do they include the cook, director, asst director, front desk staff, etc and that is why it is such a long list?
    Can you ask other parents maybe what they've done in the past if they've been there before?
    That being said, I think a $10 gift card for each sounds great if you're expected to buy for 12 ppl... If DD is the coffee place of choice in your area, go for that, otherwise Starbucks, Target, Barnes & Noble?

• Options
    I would maybe ask around to other parents and see what is the norm at your centre. I know at our centre, it is uncommon for a family to give gifts to anyone other than the main room teachers, although they do sometimes leave a treat (usually Tim Hortons goodies) in the staff room for all... In all the years I have worked in childcare I have never personally felt slighted about not receiving a gift from a child not in my class... if you want to do something nice for everyone, maybe have your LO make a picture or card for them.  They are always well loved :) 
  • Options
    In the past, I have done it both ways.  Sometimes if my kids are really only cared for by two people, I do two larger gifts.  Other years, when it is clear that it has been more of a team effort, I will buy lunch for the entire center one day.  This usually is about 8-10/person, usually around 13-15 people.  I usually circulate a list in advance so everyone can choose from a small selection (ie. what kind of burrito or sandwich, salad, etc.).  Even on the years that I do the lunch for everyone, I do try to remember to somehow acknowledge the main caregivers, even if it is with a small personal note.
  • Options
    Estwd2 said:

Wow, what a shitty way to make all the parents feel obligated to bring a gift for everyone. I think it sucks your center did that. It's fishing for gifts and presumptuous.

And as a former daycare teacher, I can tell you that I never expected gifts from anyone. And I certainly didn't expect them from kids who weren't in my class. I'd only buy for your child's regular teachers. If the others feel slighted, that's a reflection of their immaturity and unprofessionalism.

I was thinking the same thing. While I'm definitely planning on doing something for teachers, and not sure what to do about the floaters (it was helpful reading the comments on that). I'd be really turned off by them giving me a list of names. It struck me as tacky and presumptuous, even if everyone knows its what the parents will do anyway. I think I'd be inclined to do less and not more if our daycare does something like that because I hate rewarding tacky behavior.
  • Options

This.  DS has a lot of "floater" assistants at his DC.  There's no way I'd buy a specific gift for a teacher that I hadn't had a one-on-one conversation with about my child.  DS specifically mentions about 4 teachers by name, so those are the 4 he clearly interacts with the most and are thus, getting a gift from us. 

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Options
    I think it is crazy to buy for 12 people!  I would only buy for the main teachers that DS interacts with.
  • Options
    Estwd2 said:
    Wow, what a shitty way to make all the parents feel obligated to bring a gift for everyone. I think it sucks your center did that. It's fishing for gifts and presumptuous. And as a former daycare teacher, I can tell you that I never expected gifts from anyone. And I certainly didn't expect them from kids who weren't in my class. I'd only buy for your child's regular teachers. If the others feel slighted, that's a reflection of their immaturity and unprofessionalism.

I doubt the reason they sent out the names of all the employees was to make the parents feel obligated to give to everyone or to fish for gifts.  I mean, the director isn't sitting there saying, "Bwaaaahaahaaa!  Now they have to buy gift cards for everyone!  Bwaaahaahaaahaaa!"  My guess would be that they sent out a list of the names for two reasons, 1) because some people really do want to give gifts to everyone and there has been a history of requests for a list of names and 2) because sometimes the parents aren't sure of the names of the people their kids see.  Having a list is helpful when trying to figure out that Ms. Fisbull is actually Ms. Crystal.

I've been working with small kids for nine years and can't count the number of times I've met someone and heard, "OH, your Ms. Memifee.  What's your real name?"

I think it would be fine to give something larger to the people your child is around all of the time and then bring something in for the whole staff.  You don't even need to do that much.  Certainly don't feel pressured by a list of names meant to be helpful!

• Options
    Twelve!?  That's a lot.  If I were in that situation, I would buy a gift card for the two-three main teachers and then the rest can share a large tin can of multiple flavored popcorn, with a card addressed to "The Staff".

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    You could also give a gift for your child's classroom like a game or toy so all the teachers benefit from it.
  • Options
    I just counted and we have to buy for about 10 staff at DS's DC as well.  He rotates between 2 infant rooms, 2 main teachers in each; then there are 4 or 5 other part time staff that he sees on a regular basis.  So yeah, 10.  
  • Options

12 caregivers to give presents to??? Oh Gosh, I wouldnt be able to afford it at all! Even the 10 dollars card!!

I am a nanny and my favorite thing is when the kids make me something instead of the parents going to buy anything - unless it is something they saw and thought of me. Maybe the kids can make one special cookie for each caregiver or so! I strongly recomend you all to join Pinterest and see the ideas they have there!!!  OR get a little rose for them! Anything that comes from the heart is better than gift cards!

• Options

DD1 has 4 main teachers, and a few others that help out, as well as a room director.  DD2 has 2 main teachers, and maybe 4 or 5 other teachers that help out as well as a director.  I'm only giving the main teachers and directors gifts, and I'll bring in 2 trays of goodies for the other teachers who help out with DD2, and then for the front office. 

• Options
    I just counted and we have to buy for about 10 staff at DS's DC as well.  He rotates between 2 infant rooms, 2 main teachers in each; then there are 4 or 5 other part time staff that he sees on a regular basis.  So yeah, 10.  
    Why does your LO rotate between 2 infant rooms?  Isn't there one primary teacher/room?

• Options
    I buy that many btwn 2 kids and am/PM care. GC's are great. I also give scratch off tix. I like the idea of buying for main teachers and treats to share for floaters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PseudoMamaPseudoMama member
    edited December 2013
    12 caregivers sounds like a lot. Is that for two kids? if just one, I would be really bothered if that many people were taking care of my kid during a day/month. Right now there are 3 main teachers plus two part time employees. I give the full time teachers more than the part time ones. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"