July 2014 Moms
Options

Moving a month before due date

Erin1510Erin1510 member
edited November 2013 in July 2014 Moms
Any one else have a move scheduled close to their due date?

My husband is in the military and we're scheduled to move 4-6 weeks before my due date. His current assignment ends June 7th and I'm due July 15th. To say I'm already stressed about it is an understatement. There's alway a chance we could move earlier (he's going to request to move as soon as possible), but it's unlikely we'll be able to move much before June 1.

If you're in this boat, or have been before, what did you do baby wise?

Right now our plan is to save money to buy what we need after we move, rather than but little by little throughout my pregnancy.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moving a month before due date

• Options
    We moved 3 weeks before baby #2 was born. We did shop throughout my pregnancy, but kept things in big Rubbermaid bins instead of setting up a room. We also had all of her furniture, but didn't open or assemble it until after the move. Personally, I think there is enough to do when you're first getting settled into a new house that I wouldn't want to go out and buy everything. Also, keep in mind that furniture can take 6-8 weeks depending on the company.
    Baby #3 is on the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

Also Mama to Max 5/21/10 and Lucy 6/18/12
  • Options
    We will most likely have this happen to us too. His job and our move is so up in the air it's frustrating. I'd personally buy it all as you normally would but just not open anything, that way it's still packaged safe & easy for moving. The biggest deal I think would be changing doctors so I'd make sure to have a birth plan that you can give to the new doctor since they don't know you like your other doc will. Also plan to pay for moving helpers (though will military cover that?) since you won't be of much help with lifting.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Erin1510Erin1510 member
    edited November 2013
    allardr said:

Also plan to pay for moving helpers (though will military cover that?) since you won't be of much help with lifting.

You're correct, we won't have to worry about packing or loading and unloading the truck. That's all covered by the military. We technically can have them unpack also, but we usually do that ourselves so we can put things where we'd like. They will move and place all furniture in the house though, so that takes care of heavy lifting. We also have family that will be able to come out and help. My father in law and and brother in law have already said they'd drive one of our vehicles to make things easier for us.

I was wanting to buy things along the way, but my husband said he'd rather wait until we get to our new house. I'm sure we'll purchase some things as I can't wait that long lol!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    paxilchyk said:

We moved 3 weeks before baby #2 was born. We did shop throughout my pregnancy, but kept things in big Rubbermaid bins instead of setting up a room. We also had all of her furniture, but didn't open or assemble it until after the move. Personally, I think there is enough to do when you're first getting settled into a new house that I wouldn't want to go out and buy everything. Also, keep in mind that furniture can take 6-8 weeks depending on the company.

Good advice! I'll bring those points up to my husband.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We're packing our house as we speak. Truck is being dropped on Monday. I don't know which I'd prefer more, moving at 8 weeks pregnant, or 30ish. The stress is killing me, and I don't want it to be harmful. We have to drive across the country, find a house, well, you know the drill.
    We're expecting baby Jameson!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our lease is up in July! I'm desperately trying to figure out if we can afford to break the lease early. My husband is living in a city 100 miles away and I was planning on joining him when the school year ended and my lease was up. Now, I want to move and find a new OB in the new city so I'm not stressing while 9 months pregnant.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    eadams08 said:
    Our lease is up in July! I'm desperately trying to figure out if we can afford to break the lease early. My husband is living in a city 100 miles away and I was planning on joining him when the school year ended and my lease was up. Now, I want to move and find a new OB in the new city so I'm not stressing while 9 months pregnant.
    Out of the box idea for you, are you renting just from a small place or single landlord (vs like huge apartment complex)? If so I know a friend that just broke her lease and they came to an agreement that she'd pay rent there until a new tenant was found so that the owner didn't lose any money. Worked well for both, they got out early and owner got new tenant in without any empty time/not making money.

• Options
    @allardr We have a lease with a large complex, that is owned by a company with multiple properties. I don't think I'll catch any kind of deals from them :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Is your husband getting out or does he have a new assignment? In the Air Force at least I know you can change your report date for reasons like this or for separations you can extend your enlistment until after the baby is born that way you can keep the insurance. I don't know if these rules pertain to all branches, but if it would help alleviate stress it might be helpful to ask about his options!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be moving across the country when my baby is 1-2 months old so I feel your pain (not sure which is worse!).  Good luck as you sort it all out.  At the very least try to get a good OB rec in your new city now and call and let him/her know your situation so you get on the patient list . . . the good OBs fill up and you don't want to be scrambling.  That's what I'm planning on doing with a pediatrician in our new city . . . I'll be calling him/her as soon as I hit second tri!
  • Options
    beccaxrad said:

Is your husband getting out or does he have a new assignment? In the Air Force at least I know you can change your report date for reasons like this or for separations you can extend your enlistment until after the baby is born that way you can keep the insurance. I don't know if these rules pertain to all branches, but if it would help alleviate stress it might be helpful to ask about his options!

It's just a PCS. He's on recruiting duty and finishes his 3 year "torture" of duty on June 7th. We know his replacement arrives at the beginning of March and they want a few months of them both in the office so the new recruiter has support and can learn the job. My husband does officer selection, which is very different from enlisted recruiting and isn't something they teach at recruiter school.

Hopefully we can request to leave ASAP!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Looks like I'll be moving across the country when my baby is 1-2 months old so I feel your pain (not sure which is worse!).  Good luck as you sort it all out.  At the very least try to get a good OB rec in your new city now and call and let him/her know your situation so you get on the patient list . . . the good OBs fill up and you don't want to be scrambling.  That's what I'm planning on doing with a pediatrician in our new city . . . I'll be calling him/her as soon as I hit second tri!
    Wow it must be area differences. We couldn't set up with pediatrician til baby was born! I tried even a few weeks early but they said they always accept new patients so had to wait til birth. Though to be fair we use a hospital Pedi, which when we move I hope to change so others may fill up.

• Options
    The OB/Ped thing isn't as much as a concern for me because I won't really have too much of a choice as we'll be moving back to a military base. We'll be assigned a doctor at the hospital on base. Usually you never even see your assigned doctor anyway, just whoever is available when you schedule.

On his current duty (recruiting) we have a slightly different insurance plan through Tricare and we were able to choose our own docs, so long as they accepted Tricare Prime Remote. On regular Prime you don't really get a choice.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We will be moving at some point after June 13th, unsure when. Newbie babies need so little, I'm mostly worried about switching OBs late in the game :/

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • Options
    We'll be moving my IL's during my due date/after baby.  And FML, MIL is a hoarder
    --------------
    imageimage

M/C: 1/24/2010

Cecelia:11/22/10

CAUTIOUSLY expecting Jace in July August 2014

Old Bumpie, New name 
  • Options
    My husband is also in the military. I've moved with a 4 month old across the US, with a 5 month a few states away & this time I'll be moving from NC to FL at 7 months pregnant and this PCS will only be 6 months long until we move again! I am not looking forward to moving pregnant or with a baby & 2 kids. Good luck & I hope your orders can be pushed back for you!
    *Lindsey and Sohel *09.30.06*
    *Semper Fi*
    My Planning Bio update 11.13.10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I'm a mom of 2 and a Marine wife. We are renewing our vows on our 5 year wedding anniversary!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"