Stay at Home Moms
Options

If you do Christmas lights/decorations outside...

...do you think you'd still do it if your house was set back from the road where people couldn't see it really well?

I really want to do lights and some other decorations (like those light up deer, or a nativity if I could find one I liked, some figures etc.)  I don't know what all I want, but I don't know if it's worth it.  Our house is set back about 300 feet from the street and angled away from the street somewhat. People would be able to see the things,but not really well. I can't decide if I should do it anyway, or if it'll just look silly.
DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!

Re: If you do Christmas lights/decorations outside...

• Options
    Our house is set back a bit from the road and we put lights and other decorations out front.  We do it mostly for the kids because they love it so much and get so excited about the decorations. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Options
    We live on a court with 9 people. We are off the main road so only people out here driving are our neighbors. & we decorated outside the other day :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RedInLoveRedInLove member
    edited December 2013
    We are slightly set back from the road but in plain view; and we live in a dead-end type neighborhood so there's no through traffic so pretty much only our neighbors see our house. We put lights on the front porch, a wreath on the front door, and a huge wreath on the front of the house. I also have my tree in front of a window so it can be seen when my drapes are open.

I like seeing the house all lit up, so if the view was more obstructed from the road I think we would still do it.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    RedInLove said:
    We are slightly set back from the road but in plain view; and we live in a dead-end type neighborhood so there's no through traffic so pretty much only our neighbors see our house. We put lights on the front porch, a wreath on the front door, and a huge wreath on the front of the house.
    So you mean the house in your profile pic isn't yours? lol
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options
    Yup. Our decorations are for us as much as they are for people to see.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD LOVES the lights, so I think we would put them up either way.  The way her face lights up makes all the hard work worth it!
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • Options
    I'd still do it. For the same reason I put my Christmas tree in front of our giant, totally visible patio door and shut the blinds anyway. :)
  • Options
    My parents do and no one can see their house unless you drive all the way down their driveway. I would still do it for the kids and for visitors and just so I could see it whenever I drive up. I don't think it's silly at all. My mom goes all out now that she has grandkids. 
  • Options
    Our house isn't set back but it's the only house on the street/cul de sac that is up on a hill.  We put lights on the bushes and tree by our front door.  The only thing you can see from the street is the tree.  The reason we don't hang them on the house is we don't have gutters that run across the entire first floor so it wouldn't be easy to do.  We love Christmas so we do it for ourselves.  I'm sure if we were on a flat piece of property it would be a lot more tacky  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're in the middle of the woods and we totally decorate. Lights on the bushes and the tree is in our big front window. It makes ME happy :P
  • Options
    Usually we do.  This year, since DH fell this summer he wasn't getting on a ladder or the roof to put them up.  I don't do heights, so none outside this year.

Some years we don't have any because it snows too much/gets too cold before we get it done.
  • Options
    If you want to do them and will enjoy them I think you should go for it! Who cares if anyone else can see them? ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would. I do it for me and DD mostly, anyway. It puts me in a happy mood whenever I see our house all lit up.
  • Options
    I would. You will all enjoy it and so will anyone who comes to your house.
  • Options
    I would do it. I do it as much for us as for everyone else! DH grumbled about it last year but this year can't wait to get them up because he said it made him cheerful when he got home!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"