September 2013 Moms

Nursing and guests

We have guests coming and my daughter is ebf. I am wondering what would be considered socially correct when it comes to feeding her in my home when there are guests. I think leaving to nurse in her room is a bit extreme but even a cover seems weird to do at home. What would S13 do?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Nursing and guests

• I've just been going upstairs. She gets distracted and won't eat when people are there . It's just easier for me to go upstairs.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimagePregnancy Ticker
    August '15 January Siggy Challenge "Favorite Mean Girl" 
    Marianne Bryant - Easy A
  • I agree with PP- you should feel free to nurse out in the open, but going off to a quiet place may be a nice break from all the people.

• Loading the player...
  • I BF with no cover in most of my friends who have visited. No shame there. I've been nursing with a Hooter Hider in front of my parents this week. I will never (unless there's a serious emergency) BF in front of my MIL.... She's really weird about it and asks me inappropriate questions that drive me mad.

I've become much bolder about the whole thing and will NIP with my cover wherever I am.
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Depending on who the guests are, depends on what I do. I have nursed with a cover or A&A blanket in front of close friends & family, but friends I am not as close to, FIL, etc I go in another room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I nurse with a cover in public or when guests are over. Like pp said, unless it is a more formal gathering, I would nurse wherever you want however you feel comfortable.

• I use a cover with FIL, but otherwise I just go for it. Going to the other room can be annoying and takes me out of the action of socializing, so I almost always prefer to stay where I am. However, I'd it's a less than welcome guest, BF is a great excuse to leave. I always give people a warning. I tell them: There will be boob flying about so I apologize in advance if you get an eye full!
  • I always go upstairs to his bedroom. It doesn't bother me because that's what I feel most comfortable with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually stay and nurse with a cover, unless LO is losing his mind from being distracted or overstimulated.
  • I thought I would be the type to nurse with a cover, but with the visitors we've had for the last week I just gave up. Nursing with no cover is so much easier and LO has her first cold so I want her to have as much airflow as possible. I left the room when she was really upset and I knew the latch would be difficult or if I wanted to get away, otherwise I stayed put and if anyone was uncomfortable they could go in the other room.
    Due September 4th! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I always go into the nursery room and feed her there. I don't feel comfy doing it around other people. Room is quite and we like to bond :)
  • I use a hooter hider unless it's a close friend or my mom.
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD Born 9/7/13 
    Ectopic pregnancy Sep/Oct 2014 ended in surgery, and many trips to the ER
    Miracle #3: EDD 11/28/16

• I agree that it depends who is over. I nurse without a cover in front of my mom and sister. Most friends I will nurse with a cover. Anyone else including my IL's, I go to another room. This is all based on what I am comfortable with. I agree that it is nice to leave the room with LO sometimes for a break from company.

• It depends on who I am around.  I'm totally comfortable NIP, but my ILs are extremely conservative, so if they are around (even in my own home), I am banished to a bedroom.

When others visit, I just ask them if it is going to make them uncomfortable.  So far, no one has said yes.  If someone else really was that uncomfortable, I'd go in the other room.  LO & I both prefer to nurse without a cover, but for some people (i.e., H's male friends - I think it makes H uncomfortable to have my boob somewhat displayed) I grab a small blanket. 

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • I nurse openly at home in front of my family and friends. However have put a cover on or gone upstairs in front of older male relatives (FIL and uncle). They are both weird in general and preferred to avoid their ackward comments. I don't mind nursing in public with or without a cover though mostly use a cover. I often just wear a tank pulled down and top shirt pulled up so only a tiny portion is shown and can be adjusted easily. The cover just annoys DD but she's getting better with it.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• Totally depends on the guests. Close family, in-laws & girlfriends, nbd. But when my guy friends, not-so-close friends/family or my husband's friends are over, I just go upstairs. I've nursed in front of my guy friends at their homes but with a cover. It seems weird to cover up at home, so I just excuse myself and disappear for a few.

Oh and a tip: when NIP, I use the a&a blankets. I simply tie two ends together & slip it around my neck... Sort of like a backwards cape. This ensures it doesn't slip off when LO gets squirmy. And then it also protects me completely from any spit up when burping her.

• I'm weird - I will nurse in front of everyone except my parents and ILs.  I don't know - they are just so obsessed with LO that they will stare at her non stop.  My friends though?  Absolutely.  I'm a VERY shy person but I want a lot of kids so I figure I have years of breastfeeding ahead of me - these people better get used to it and so should I.  I have never tried a cover but I think it seems so rude to LO.  I wouldn't want to eat with a cloth on my face!
  • I hate using a cover, I use one at friends houses, but even there I tend to ask if I can just use one of the other rooms so I can nurse her comfortably. It helps that a lot of my friends have kids and nursery's of their own with gliders, etc.. At home I don't cover if it's friends or my mom, though I'm way braver this time, or I just don't care, but my step dad was here the first week of LO's life and everything is just getting established and I was not going to use a cover or leave the room. He didn't seem to care and I was so exhausted that I didn't care who saw. They're coming again next week and this time I'll probably leave the room, just for my own comfort. I'll do the same when everyone is here for Christmas. I will nurse in front of MIL but I can't see myself doing it infront of FIL without at least a light blanket. I'm gonna try the a&a blanket tip from pp above. In all honesty I think it makes my husband more uncomfortable to have me nurse in front of others than me. I know he prefers I use a cover of some sort.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loppy19 said:
    Nurse however you are comfortable. I cover more when our male friends/FIL/BIL are around because I am not comfortable with them seeing my chest, but if it's just the girls then I don't.
    Exact same here.
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• I use a receiving blanket and nurse lo under there. Ill only leave the room if there's a bunch of people around and I won't be missed. I'd never pull a boob out without a cover- no point in making people feel awkward.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I usually get LO latched in another room, then come back with a cover on. I think it's more co for table for me and my guests this way. If it's my mom or close family/ friends I just nurse without a cover or leaving the room.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • I just go into another room. I don't feel right nursing in front of anyone but DH and my mom/mil. Esp if these are male friends. That's a big no no for me
  • If it's my female friends only I will just feed in the open.  If there are any men around I will use a cover.  Except for my Dad.  But I will cover if it's my brother.  If they are DH's female friends or my aunties (my parents friends) I will use a cover.  Do whatever you are comfortable with!
  • The only people I cover for is my inlaws
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • My house, my baby, my boob, my rules. It isn't like I am trying to poke anyone's eye out with my nipples, but I cover for no one where I live.
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • foxyroxy said:

My house, my baby, my boob, my rules. It isn't like I am trying to poke anyone's eye out with my nipples, but I cover for no one where I live.

I guess the real question is ...... Do you put on pants?

imageimage
  • I'm with @foxyroxy. LO is EBF and I've never used a cover. I'm a little nervous about going back to the US for the holidays where folks seem to be way more prudish.
  • At the beginning I would cover and they would make comments how I didn't need to cover because 'they've all seen the titties' before. 
    this comment alone would prevent me from ever feeding DD without a cover in front of them!

imageimage
  • Well I just nursed in front of the guy fixing my heater! Baby was screaming and I couldn't find a blanket fast enough so I just put her on! Baby's needs come before my embarrassment! :)
  • My house, my baby, my boob, my rules. It isn't like I am trying to poke anyone's eye out with my nipples, but I cover for no one where I live.
    I guess the real question is ...... Do you put on pants?
    Depends on the guest. Though, if you came over the first two weeks after Clara was born, you were lucky if I was wearing anything other than a robe. Pants and bras required too much effort. I am not the Queen of England.
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • How long are your guests planning on staying? For short term guests I usually just bf with a nursing cover. If they are staying for awhile I would excuse myself to another room.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"