Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Winter Clothes

Okay, so we're heading to Colorado for the holidays and will be in the mountains at the in-laws for a couple of weeks. I need advice on dressing my LO warmly! I live in a southern state, and can get away with layering what I've got on those rare cold days.

I need to get something warm for his body, head, feet and hands (do babies wear mittens? I don't even know!) So, do I invest in one of those crazy full body zip up suits, or should I get separates? I'm thinking separates, as we can continue to use them once we're home.

For feet...would fleece Zutano booties be warm enough? For a coat...any recs? I saw some nice ones at Columbia, but I don't know if there's a better idea out there.

I need you northern mommies! Advice, brands, and links would be so helpful!

TIA!

Re: Winter Clothes

• Agree w/ PP but if you want to let LO play in the snow at all Target has a snowsuit set that comes in 12 month size (if your LO is as big as mine).  It's the pants with suspenders and the coat.  I just bought a thick coat for DD for when she's in her stroller on walks with the dog.  Other than that we layer, layer, layer.  For example: it was 30 degrees this morning when DH had to take DD to my MIL for the day.  I had her in a long-sleeved onesie and socks with a footed fleece sleeper overtop.  Then I did a hat and a thick plush blanket tucked around her once she was strapped in the carseat.  She always pulls the mittens off so I rarely try to use them.  Also, DH parked in the garage last night so technically DD didn't get outside until they got to my MILs.
  • We live in Minnesota. It's been close to 0 a few times with windchill. So for now we layer. I will dress her in a long sleeve shirt or onesie. Pants. And usually a hoodie. Socks and shoes. I will start the car ahead of time and wrap her in a fleece blanket on the way to the car. She has a puffy coat that I carry with. Then if we go Into a store she puts the coat on when she gets out of the carseat. She also had a hat. No mittens because she is tiny and we can't find any even close to small enough.

If you are going to be outside longer or play in the snow- children's place has some great snowsuit a right now
  • Loading the player...
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member
    edited November 2013

We woke to 20cm (8inches) of snow this morning and (10cm more coming today), go Canada.  Just about to head out with my 9 month old to shovel.  She is going to wear a long sleeve onsie, fleece footed pj’s.  Full one piece snowsuit with attached mittens and booties.  She’ll have a hat and the hood.  This is standard wear for her.

If you need a snowsuit I totally recommend a 1 piece for this age.  But, if you won’t use it again and could make use of a 2piece then it will work…but it’s a royal pain to get a wiggly baby into and the snow goes up the coat back if you sit them in it.

• @LeeB-is there a specific snowsuit you'd recommend? I'm so overwhelmed by choice (online). Better to hear what works for guy guys!

I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a good winter jacket and maybe a fleece suit (like this one: https://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=SN0214&start=12 ) or do the snowsuit. I doubt he will be outside too much, so I'm leaning towards the jacket and layering.

Decisions decisions!

• layer, bring hoodies, long sleeve shirts and a bigger coat. I plan on putting socks, knit tights and then pants over DD, along with baby boots. I have a snow suit, but I would only use it if your physically taking LO into the snow. They do have baby mittens, and definitely bring hats. 
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family

• rdbanks said:
    @LeeB-is there a specific snowsuit you'd recommend? I'm so overwhelmed by choice (online). Better to hear what works for guy guys! I'm trying to decide if I should invest in a good winter jacket and maybe a fleece suit (like this one: https://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=SN0214&start=12 ) or do the snowsuit. I doubt he will be outside too much, so I'm leaning towards the jacket and layering. Decisions decisions!

If it is snowing then fleece alone won’t due. The snow collects on it and melts into it.  As well, wind whips right through it.  You’d need a windblock/waterproof layer.  The fleece suit with a jacket over it, and something over the legs (even rain pants) would work.

Columbia is a good brand, it’s warm but not too bulky.  They do run small though, so order a size big for good fit.  MEC, if you’re a member is great too.  Have you looked on kijiji?  They have tons of snowsuits up right now…and much cheaper!

For mitts, if you buy a pair of kids fleece mitts (would you be able to reuse later?) or even put a pair of baby socks on the hands then a pair of adult socks over those and up the arms of his jacket.  It keeps them on, and save you buying a good pair of mitts.  We had to pay $25bucks for a good pair for our daughter, ridiculous, but they stay on and are waterproof etc.  If your little guy isn’t going to be playing in the snow then a couple layers of socks will do.  I’ve done this with older toddlers that keep taking their mitts off, the adult socks are so long there attention span isn’t long enough to succeed getting them off!

Anyways, I would try kijiji before buying new since you are not needing it for a full winter season.

Oh, and as much as you doubt he'll be outside I would worry that you don't prepare for him to be outside then get there and have amazing weather and want to be out but can't, would suck to miss out on some adventures!

• pavlovcat said:
    I think I must be a horrible parent.  My kid wears a hooded sweater/sweatshirt over her cotton footie jammies and then I just tuck a fleece blanket around her in her car seat.  No extra socks, certainly no shoes, don't even own mittens.  If she's in my car I try to start it up 5 minutes before we leave.  If in hubby's, he just puts her in there when it's cold.

I suppose if she were going to be spending time outside as opposed to just traveling to and from the car, I'd bundle her up more.

And we live in Michigan, so it does get very cold here. 

We do the same for car rides here!  The snow gear is for when we are outside, in the snow.  Whether it be playing in the yard or out for a hike, sledding, snowshoeing etc.  We get out daily, so the snow gear is a must.  We just do fleece and blankets in the car though.

• aibreanaibrean member
    edited December 2013
    Walmart has mittens that work really well for that age. We generally do long socks, pants and onesie/long-sleeved top, then jacket and then switch into coat when outside. We have a snowsuit if she's going to be exclusively outdoors for a long amount of time. I got my coats for her (we have a 6-9 and a 9-12 mo) second-hand. I would say if the coat is hooded, make sure you have a hat too since the hoods don't stay up as much with a baby that wants to move.

Having clothes with mittens built-in is awesome when you're outside a bunch. You might also consider fleece sleepers with a jacket.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

pavlovcat said:
    I think I must be a horrible parent.  My kid wears a hooded sweater/sweatshirt over her cotton footie jammies and then I just tuck a fleece blanket around her in her car seat.  No extra socks, certainly no shoes, don't even own mittens.  If she's in my car I try to start it up 5 minutes before we leave.  If in hubby's, he just puts her in there when it's cold.

I suppose if she were going to be spending time outside as opposed to just traveling to and from the car, I'd bundle her up more.

And we live in Michigan, so it does get very cold here. 
    All of this.  If you don't plan on putting baby directly in the snow then I would just layer and put a one piece fleece snow suit over the top.  Walmart sells a very warm fleece snow suit for $10 in many prints so if you only use it this one time atleast it's cheap but will still get the job done.  As for taking to and from the car with no extended exposure I would dress as usual: pants, long sleeve shirt, warm jacket and wrap in blanket then tuck the blanket in once baby is in it's car seat.

• It gets in the 20's so often around here that we have no choice but to layer and bundle a lot.

A typical running errands outfit consists of a short sleeve onesie, a long sleeve t-shirt, leg warmers, warm socks and pants. Add to that a warm hat that covers the ears, mittens and a "scarf", booties, and a coat with a hood. If it's particularly cold, I layer a really warm shirt or hoodie over his long sleeve tee. The moment we enter a store/mall, the hat, scarf, mittens and coat get taken off. 

A typical "stroller walk" outfit is the exact same, but instead of the coat we have a one-piece snow suit with built in booties, and we layer a second pair of mittens. We also add THIS and this

It's windy as heck around the lake. Humidity is a killer in the winter. 

I mean, I guess it's all about where and when you're going. Your in-laws could probably offer advice?
  • Unless you are planning on being outside a lot I would  just layer.  If you don't want to buy a big coat just bring the carseat inside with you this way you can put a blanket over the lo on the way to the car.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We have a fleece car seat cover we use with a flap for the face area too. We always bring extra clothes to layer.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • raw1299raw1299 member
    edited December 2013
    fleece footie pj's would work, with a sweatshirt and hat. 
    Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family

• Heehee...I find it funny how different everyone's answers on this are.  Maybe it's the Canadian in me that sees "heading to the mountains for holiday" and pictures you out snowshoeing, cross country skiing, skating and sledding in the snow hills!

SO...depending what you are doing in the mountains what your infant needs to wear will be greatly different.  If being in the mountains is no different than being in the city (from car to house, house to car) then layer with normal gear.  If you will be out actively in the mountains then buy warmer gear!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"