LGBT Parenting
Options

Not sure where to start

Hey ladies! My name is Amanda and im new around here. I've been with my S/O for a while now and we've made the decision that we would officially love to have a baby. We would love to start trying around febuary, the only problem is, i have no idea where to start! Ive been having some troubles looking it up online too. Ive started to chart my fertility, so im good on that. But when we go to actually do the "baby-making" im not sure where to begin. I would ultimately prefer an at home AI but just looking up sperm banks and stuff doesnt make it sound possible:/ So has anyone been able to do it at home? How did you go about getting the "neccessities" :p Did you have to use a known donor? If you did, was it super awkward to ask? if you used a bank, how did that go? (i saw the fees can be pretty hefty!)

Its been my one dream in this life to be a mommy and i really wanna make that happen within the next year or two, just wish i knew where to begin!

Re: Not sure where to start

• Options
    Welcome! Take a good look through the threads on this page...I'm sure someone has had your questions. This is a great group filled with a lot of knowledge and I hope you find this a supportive community. Just recently (within the last few days) someone started an at home AI thread...so you may want to check that out. My suggestion would be to go see your OB or an RE first. That will probably be most helpful! Good luck and welcome to the group!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    Welcome! Please join us on Mondays for the TTC Check-In thread. I would echo what PP said - take a look through the threads and many of your questions might be answered :).

My wife and I are using the assistance of a RE, so I don't have anything helpful to offer for at home AI. Best of luck! :)

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi - Welcome and congrats on beginning your TTC journey. :-)  

I just replied to a previous thread on our at home insemination process.  We used a KD for several reasons of which costs were one, and we've had a wonderful experience. However there are positives and negatives to both KD and frozen sperm.  In terms of asking a person a be KD it was initially intimidating for me, but we ended up having a great conversation about it, and have had a great relationship over the past couple of years and are now pregnant with our second child by the same KD.  

Good Luck :-)
  • Options
    oh wow! thanks! i keep juggling back and forth with using a KD just because i cant bear to think how awkward it would be lol but getting frozen sperm is just so expensive. im just so excited to have a baby, i wanna get this process going lol
  • Options
    I would strongly suggest really doing some good research. Sperm is expensive but medical costs can be even more expensive. If it is the expense you are concerned with, make sure to check into pricing for medical procedures. I think most of us can say it gets pricey and you don't want to be discouraged or shocked when you get into the process. Good luck!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options

Ya ive been trying to do as much research as i can, i just must not be searching very well. I'm probably just going to have to break down and speak with my OB about it, which i know shouldn't be too bad but since im a little heavier set (tho i've been loosing weight over the past few months to get in better baby bearing shape) and only 22 years old (though i feel much older and have been ready for this for like ever, just hadnt met the right person to do it with), i just dont want her to look down on me or tell me i shouldnt even be trying. I know thats probably a very irrational fear but its one that i have.

• Options
    @aslmander - I was also concerned about my weight. When we first met with our RE, he said immediately that he wasn't concerned at all. I'm about 60 pounds over my ideal body weight. Other than being overweight, I have no health issues whatsoever, so that probably helps with him not being concerned. Definitely talk to your OB.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    Hi and welcome! I just wanted to jump in and say that yes you can do AI at home. Most banks want a Dr. to sign off on a form, which is pretty easy to get. There is at least one, and I'm sorry I don't know the name, that will ship to your home without a Dr. signature. Good luck. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your suggestions ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"