April 2013 Moms

NBR: Ovarian Cysts

Has anyone had any experience with them? Large or not, having them shrink or having to have surgery to remove them?
I had posted previously about having to have my IUD out last week and my doctor finding a cyst on my left ovary--now up to 10cm in size (think grapefruit size).
My Dr. Suggested three things to me. It could rupture, cause ovarian torsion (causing emergency surgery) or possibly shrink.
This cyst is messing with my bladder and bowels. I'm experiencing crazy bouts of random pelvic and back pain. I'm thinking about just scheduling surgery to get it out. I have had a c-section and 5 open abdominal surgeries so my biggest concern is just adhesions at this point. Has anyone had experience with these cysts? I know they can be very common but depending on size, need medical intervention. Thanks so much in advance!

Re: NBR: Ovarian Cysts

• I had a cyst when I was 21 that ruptured. I noticed the pain when I would wear tampons & that prompted a doctors visit. I went for an ultrasound & it was the size of a silver dollar. They did not recommend surgery or anything, I was only given birth control. About two months later, I got really sick. Was very nauseous, vomiting, & had horrible pain. It ruptured & I needed a blood transfusion. I would Definitely let them take it out first chance you get

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• So sorry! I also had a large cyst rupture when I was 15. I went to the hospital after two days of severe pain and nausea. They gave me pain meds but the bleeding and pain lasted weeks. It hurt to move. I didn't need the surgery so I don't know much about it. If it's the lazer I have heard it is more simple and somewhat noninvasive?...I would probably choose the surgery personally but only you can make that decision. Sorry I'm not too much help and I will keep you in my thoughts!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would probably opt for the surgery if it's relatively noninvasive and you've met your deductible for the year. I've never had a cyst like that, but a coworker's wife ended up in the hospital on IV pain meds when she had one rupture.

Good luck with your decision and hope you get some relief soon, whatever you choose!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a girlfriend rupture an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit and it was hell -- I'd have it taken out, if I were in your situation!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Like PPs, I've had one rupture. It was my senior year of college and initially I thought my appendix was bursting. It was awful and I ended up in the hospital. I would absolutely choose to have any removed in the future.

So sorry you are dealing with this. :( Hopefully it doesn't give you trouble much longer!

• Thank so much ladies for your stories/suggestions. Surgery is always scary especially when you have a LO to take cafe of afterwards. I'm going to call my OB/GYN on Monday to schedule surgery. I think that's the better route as I do not want it to rupture. Thanks so much again and I will keep you updated!
  • My cousin had a similarly sized one when she was pregnant. They took it out while she was pregnant! Scary, but I guess it was necessary.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Usually not a problem unless they get big. And 10cm is big! I would worry about the possibility if a torsion. If it were me I would consider getting it removed
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Thank you, I'll be calling Monday to get the ball rolling.
  • I had one several years ago that was the size of a grapefruit and caused ovarian torsion. I ended up having emergency surgery but by the time they figure out what was going on with me the torsion had cut off blood supply to the ovary and it had essentially died. They ended up having to remove the entire dead ovary along with the cyst. The days leading up to my surgery were more painful than labor pains and childbirth so yeah, I'd go ahead and get it taken care of before it gets to that point!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"