May 2014 Moms
Options

Convertible crib vs. regular crib

The changing table vs dresser debate got me thinking. I have been wondering for a while which to buy and what everyone thinks.
STM's please weigh in! I go back and forth trying to decide which is better for us.

Best Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Chellbell20Chellbell20 member
    Answer ✓
    Convertible. We actually moved DD to a twin (my sisters old furniture) and kept the crib for now. Once this LO outgrows the crib we'll convert it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    We did a regular crib, not a convertible, because we planned to be having more kids soon and didn't see the benefit of it. We actually moved my daughter from her crib to a twin bed rather than a toddler bed at 2.5 (old, I know, but she loved that crib!), and she did great. Ikea has pretty cheap toddler beds if you plan to have children close in age, I just felt like the toddler bed would only last us a year or two so we did twin beds when both kids got out of the crib.
  • Options
    princesscaysprincesscays member
    Answer ✓
    We bought the convertible crib w baby #1. When it was time to take it down we just put it away for baby #2 and got her a full sized bed. We had not purchased the conversion kit bc we wanted to go straight into making her room a kid room. I'm sure we will do the same with #2!

• Options
    JennyLynneJennyLynne member
    Answer ✓
    Not a STM, but we're going with non-convertible. My reasoning is that I don't typically like the style of of headboard that the cribs convert into when it goes up to a full bed. As far as toddler bed goes, I'm not 100% convinced yet that they're really necessary after the research I've done. Plus the crib that I am in LOVE with isn't convertible :)
    BFP # 1 11/2011, MC 12/2011 
    BFP #2 11/2012, Delivered at 21 weeks on 3/16/13 due to complications with bilateral renal agenesis. 
    ~~Missing Astrid Lynne~~
    BFP#3: 09/2013, EDD 5/14/14

Lilypie - (9zLl)

Answers

• Options
    Thanks.
    @LauraElaine I'm 31 so I imagine they will be somewhat close in age based off of my age alone.
    I can see both sides of it and that's why I'm confused, I guess. Not sure about how they look when they turn into a full size bed. I love the idea of not having to buy kids furniture and a toddler bed after, though.
    Still confused, but your opinions are helping!
  • Options
    Convertible here too. DD went to a toddler bed at 15mo (because we moved) and Santa is bringing her a "big sister bed" for Christmas (now 2.5yrs) so that we can turn it into a crib again. Ours has been perfect timing. I think one unknown for you is how long your LO will be in a crib in relation to your next kid. If they're like runningmamas kiddo then your crib will last a while. If you're looking at a few years between kids then it might be worth it for that transition time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Convertible! DS is almost 4 and is still in the convertible bed.
  • Options
    @Katemr1146 and @JennLynne I agree about not being a fan of the headboard/ footboard when they turn into a full size bed. They don't look like kids furniture. I also don't think my little toddler needs a full size. This is why I've been on the fence about it.

Also, my kids will be close in age so that alone may have me leaning toward the regular crib. They are both bet nice options depending on the person.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I feel like every decision is such a big one and overwhelming. It doesn't help that Everything is so expensive and I don't want to make a bad choice.
  • Options
    We have a convertible for DS and are buying another convertible this time.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    @strawberrytree good point about sharing rooms. I'm not sure how many kids we are going to have, but if we have to share a room I can't imagine squeezing two full size beds in one room either. Something for me to think about.
  • Options
    We bought a convertible and dd has slept in it MAYBE a dozen times. She started in a cosleeper, and then it became apparent that bed sharing was the only thing that was going to work for us. I set it up as a side car and even though I tried to keep her in there, she discovered she could just crawl into the main bed. When she moved to her room, she went to a twin mattress on the floor. I'm hoping LO will use it, otherwise it's just expensive decor. I think we'll get use out if it as a full bed, though.

Didn't read all the replies, but just in case no one mentioned it, if you go with the convertible, buy the bed rail converter kit at the same time. Your model may be discontinued by the time you need them, and if so, you won't be able to convert it.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Convertible here too
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers #1-DD born June 14, 2008 at 40w4d...Our Little Bug is growing so fast! #2-HB 7w5d, Missed mc 3/30/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 8w1d) #3-DS born April 5, 2011 at 38w2d...Our Little Boy is getting so big! #4-Baby #3 is due May 26, 2014! image
  • Options
    I bought a convertible crib with DD1 with all the conversion pieces and I thought at the time it would be a mistake.  Within 2 months of using the crib I scratched both sides of the headboard with the super tight mattress.  I don't see how the cribs survive to turn into full size beds for a decent amount of time.  I think most cribs out there are convertible...must be because people love it.  
  • Options
    We have a convertible that transitions into a twin. One of the big pluses for that crib was how much we liked the look of the crib, the toddler conversion, and the twin conversion- it's super cute and has a sleigh like headboard as a twin. We did buy all of the kits at the time we bought the crib though- which turned out to be important as our model is now discontinued. We've just stashed the conversion kit up at the top of our closet shelf until its needed.
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Options
    We bought a convertible for DS, and never used it- he went directly to a twin bed, and wanted nothing to do with the converted crib.  However, I feel better knowing that we can convert the crib when LO #2 needs it, if we don't go the twin route for some reason.  Kids are just funny during transitions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did convertible.  LO#2 is on the way and DS is nowhere near ready to be out of the crib.  We'll get a matching crib. I now wish I would of gotten a convertible crib that went from crib, toddler, to twin instead of full size.  The bedrooms would look much nicer with twin size beds in the long run than full size beds.  I'm thinking we'll probably sell the cribs after the toddler stage.
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"