August 2013 Moms

Swaddles!!!

I have such a love-hate relationship with the swaddle...now leaning more towards hate!!
I can't keep LO in the swaddle to save my life! She is able to now instantly break free, even with the tight Velcro! She loves having her hands in her mouth, but immediately wakes herself up. I'm gong crazy because she use to sleep 5-7 hr stretches and she's now up every 1-2. I think I need to transition her out of the rock and play because she's getting too cramped, but I also feel like I need to transition her out of the swaddle, even though she can't control her arms when she sleeps. I tried the Merlin, and it didn't work for her. I'm wondering if the Sleepsuit will be better once she's out of the rock and play and has more room in the PnP?
I'm at a loss on where to go, what to do first? Should I transition out of the RnP first or the swaddle? Any tips please!!! I'm going crazy feeling like suddenly nothing is working and I can hardly function during the day from lack of sleep.

Re: Swaddles!!!

• I think I'd transition out of the rock and play first. You can keep her swaddled through the transition to still give her that secure feeling. I feel like that's a harder transition to make and giving her as many tools to keep her comfortable during that transition would be in your best interest.

Then once she's comfortable sleeping on a flat service I'd start getting her out of the swaddle. Have you looked into getting a woombie? It's the only thing that kept my LO contained. We only used it for about a week before she stated rolling, but I still think it was worth it.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

• I've heard great things about the Miracle Blanket/Swaddle. I'm looking into getting one for my LO because he's also turning into a little Houdini and breaking free of his SwaddleMe. It has good reviews online and from the moms in my Mommy Group.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the woombie! It's impossible to break out of, and it definitely helped us transition from rnp to our flat cosleeper.
  • I second what @Zever00 said. We transitioned out of the RnP when he was 8 weeks because he seemed cramped. He slept better immediately. I would skip the Miracle blanket and go straight to the Woombie. Don't get me wrong - we love our Miracle but now that he's almost 4 months, he is strong enough to break out of that too. We are considering a Woombie now.
  • The velcro swaddles stop working after awhile from a combo of baby strength and velcro getting weak from being washed.

Miracle blankets are great if you plan to keep swaddling. They are pretty tough to break out of IF you do it right - read pull each piece very tight. A lot of people have trouble with them at first but they are worth the practice IMO.

That said, we are getting close to having rolling babies, and I think if I were you I would consider a sleep suit, or transitioning out of the swaddle. Just my thoughts if I was in the same situation.

• Thanks! No, I haven't tried the Woombie or Miracle Blanket. We've always used the Swaddlemes or Halo swaddle sacks. I feel like she grows out of swaddle sacks so fast. I'll check those out- thanks!
  • I'm a Magic Sleepsuit Believer now, but I admit the first couple times DD hated it. You may want to try it a couple more times. She loves it now.

We also have woombies, but she's too big for those. I love that they zippered from the bottom up though--great for MOTN diaper changes. 

• Try double swaddling. My DS used to break free of the swaddled until we started doing this. Bottom layer is a tight blanket swaddled and then top with a velcro swaddle.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Ditto double swaddle. Do whatever you can to keep the swaddle. She's not ready to sleep without it yet - you'll know when she is (flailing arms will stop). Good luck!!
  • We stopped swaddling at 3 months. She transitioned just fine.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • I tried to transition at 3.5 months but she kept waking herself up with her arms. Like all things, babies are ready at diff times I guess.
  • My DH has been calling LO Houdini all week. He is always breaking out and waking himself up. We thought if he starts with no swaddle at the start of the night he might sleep better. We are trying to slowly transition with one arm out but his still waking himself up. We will try again in a few weeks.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! We're ditching the rock and play since we think she's way too cramped in it, and putting her in the Sleepsuit in the pack 'n play in our room. She napped for an hour this evening in the Sleepsuit in her crib...did great.

Fingers crossed! :o)
  • @Kebert618 I recently ordered a swaddle transitioner called a zipeede-zip. It's basically a sleep sack on bottom with closed arms that are not long enough for LO to stretch all the way out but they can roll over safely and it still somewhat contains the startle reflex. It's hard to explain. My LO hated the sleep suit and it would be worthless once he rolls, which also made me nervous that he wouldn't be able to help himself if he did roll in it. I plan on making a post when I receive it to give more detail ie pictures, results and links. But maybe you could look it up and check it out since your making some other changes. Good luck!
  • Well....it was a little bit difficult getting Layla to sleep last night (1.5 hrs later than normal!), but once I did, she slept for 5.5 hours before waking up. She only woke up 1 time! Its 7:30 abdcshe just woke up to eat for thecsecind time- may even see if she will go vack diown for another hour or so.
    So much better than the 5 wakes she has been doing. So now I feel awful that she's been crammed in the RnP when she was too big!
    Hopefully better sleep continues!
    Thanks for the help!
  • Google "bat wing swaddle." Someone here recommended it to me when I posted about my little Houdini a couple weeks ago. There's no way he can get out of it! It's worked great for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"