Stay at Home Moms

Re: "Fit mom" gets banned from Facebook.

• Her statement wasn't ban worthy.
  • I see it as inspirational.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've seen worse on Facebook that people don't get banned for. This is a bit extreme.
  • I just find her totally annoying.  But not ban-worthy
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I completely agree with her.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    I probably should have clarified. I completely agree with her that we have a huge health crises due to obesity in this country, and it's unfortunate that the problem is so prevalent that it's becoming the new normal. It has nothing to do with shaming anyone, it's just a fact. Does she sound like an insufferable, self-righteous fitness freak? Totally, but I don't see how anyone can argue that some of her points aren't valid.
    I don't disagree with this. Some of them are valid. 

I hate the line that stuff has to start at home and that school is not the problem. They are both the problem. And while it's fine and well to say parents should be teaching and feeding their children better (and of course they SHOULD be) why does that mean we shouldn't address the issue at school - starting w/ the crappy food most of them still serve? 

Fact is - if a kid is getting crappy nutrition at home and at school they will grown up and do the same w/ their children. Perhaps, learning and eating better at school will have an impact. 
    What am I missing with the school thing? Granted, this is my first year having a child in public school, but I'm not seeing anything there that contributes to childhood obesity.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    I probably should have clarified. I completely agree with her that we have a huge health crises due to obesity in this country, and it's unfortunate that the problem is so prevalent that it's becoming the new normal. It has nothing to do with shaming anyone, it's just a fact. Does she sound like an insufferable, self-righteous fitness freak? Totally, but I don't see how anyone can argue that some of her points aren't valid.

I hate the line that stuff has to start at home and that school is not the problem. They are both the problem. And while it's fine and well to say parents should be teaching and feeding their children better (and of course they SHOULD be) why does that mean we shouldn't address the issue at school - starting w/ the crappy food most of them still serve? 

Fact is - if a kid is getting crappy nutrition at home and at school they will grown up and do the same w/ their children. Perhaps, learning and eating better at school will have an impact. 
    What am I missing with the school thing? Granted, this is my first year having a child in public school, but I'm not seeing anything there that contributes to childhood obesity.
    I've never seen a school lunch menu that I thought looked that great. Maybe it varies by district. I think they are better than they used to be. 
    But school lunches and menus have always sucked. Always. That's not different.  So that, to me, is not a valid argument on why kids are bigger these days. Back when I was in school, it was a sloppy joe with weird meat, a piece of pizza, a chicken sandwich (fried), a side of fries or canned beans, and a canned fruit.  It was crap!!  At least now my DD's school serves all whole grains and some turkey meat.  I actually think it's improved. NOT by much, though.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Chapter79 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:

I've never seen a school lunch menu that I thought looked that great. Maybe it varies by district. I think they are better than they used to be. 
    But school lunches and menus have always sucked. Always. That's not different.  So that, to me, is not a valid argument on why kids are bigger these days. Back when I was in school, it was a sloppy joe with weird meat, a piece of pizza, a chicken sandwich (fried), a side of fries or canned beans, and a canned fruit.  It was crap!!  At least now my DD's school serves all whole grains and some turkey meat.  I actually think it's improved. NOT by much, though.
    The lunch menus may have improved slightly at school---I mean many times they do have whole grains now at least---however recess time has been cut short. In my districts kids have gym once a week (kindergarten for 30 minutes); first through 5th (40 minutes)---but lunch & recess total 30 minutes---and usually the kids only have 10-15 minutes outside. I definitely remember longer recess years ago---but again it can vary from state to state and even district to district. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • cjcouple said:
    my ds school seems to have decent lunch. my ds doesnt eat it because of his anxiety but the menu is decent fruit and veggie bar every day, rotating lunches I have seen. whole wheat pasta with meat sauce, hamburger on whole wheat roll with oven baked fries, tomato soup with grilled cheese, chicken nuggets with egg noodles. there is always a vegetable with the meals. i wouldn't say it's phenomenal but way better than what I ate in school.
    This is similar to what ours is. Turkey/white bean chili, entree salads, and there's always a vegetarian option. There's a whole grain requirement, and all lunches are served with a piece of fruit. Nutrition info. for all of it is available online, and in all honesty it usually looks a lot healthier than a Lunchable.
  • I heard this in Insider. Insider interviewed fit mom and the lingerie store owner. According to insider, fit mom put it on the owner's page and the owner flagged it.

Honestly, fit mom annoys me. I get her message but she doesn't need to shame others.
  • Chapter79 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:

I realize that they are not the cause of the problem. I just think it's shortsighted to only worry about what's going on at home and not addressing what's happening in schools and elsewhere. I do think school lunches have made some improvements, I said that originally. 

I am not aware of one single thing that is causing obesity to rise in our country, I'm pretty sure it's a multifaceted problem that runs much deeper than school lunches. 

While I think schools should address the issue I don't think school lunches really contribute that much to obesity. Even if my kid eats chicken nuggets daily in school he would never be obese because he's provided healthy food at home and ample exercise. The reverse is true too--a good meal once a day and education for kids isn't going to make a whole lot of difference if mom is buying frozen pizza for dinner and sugary cereals for breakfast. I like the idea of schools doing weight checks with the other school screenings and providing resources to parents so they can make the better decisions. I wish wic and food stamp programs focused more of their efforts on educating on nutrition, how to buy healthy foods while still maintaining a budget, etc. I think the single most greatest influence in obesity is teaching parents because they learn by our actions more than our words. If parents see their kids exercising and eating healthy they're more likely to do that not only in childhood but beyond.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited November 2013
    amy052006 said:
    I heard this in Insider. Insider interviewed fit mom and the lingerie store owner. According to insider, fit mom put it on the owner's page and the owner flagged it. Honestly, fit mom annoys me. I get her message but she doesn't need to shame others.
    If this is what happened, that she took it upon herself to put it on the store owners page, it is just further proof she is an aw who is projecting her own issues on others. She is so clearly an eff'd up person, and dare I say it, I feel really sorry for her kids. And again, I have no clue how anyone can find her behavior inspirational, yet everyone has to get the utmost offended at those silly stupid BFing memes. I actually think this trick is way more serious in her judgment.

Uh, I think calling someone a lazy fattie is a little less offensive than telling a mom she's poisoning her kids body by using formula. Not a valid comparison at all.
    Eta-I agree it was beyond f'd up to post her message to a lingerie store that caters to plus sized women.
  • edited November 2013
    KC_13 said:
    amy052006 said:
    I heard this in Insider. Insider interviewed fit mom and the lingerie store owner. According to insider, fit mom put it on the owner's page and the owner flagged it. Honestly, fit mom annoys me. I get her message but she doesn't need to shame others.
    If this is what happened, that she took it upon herself to put it on the store owners page, it is just further proof she is an aw who is projecting her own issues on others. She is so clearly an eff'd up person, and dare I say it, I feel really sorry for her kids. And again, I have no clue how anyone can find her behavior inspirational, yet everyone has to get the utmost offended at those silly stupid BFing memes. I actually think this trick is way more serious in her judgment.

Uh, I think calling someone a lazy fattie is a little less offensive than telling a mom she's poisoning her kids body by using formula. Not a valid comparison at all.
    Eta-I agree it was beyond f'd up to post her message to a lingerie store that caters to plus sized women.
    Really?  I don't.  Those are both very shitty judgmental things to say, and I daresay I would be more pissed about you calling me a lazy fattie.  

I already got into a FB fight with DH's friend over that plus-size lingerie store, so I don't need to relive it, but it really pisses me off that people are so up in arms about it, as though somehow a few pictures of happy fat women posing in their underwear are going to somehow unravel society's admiration for thin people.  Trust me, no matter how many news articles are written about it, no one is going to that page and thinking "wow, those women look so hot, I wish I was fatter so I could look like that."  Why are people so scared of the message that it's OK to feel good about yourself even if you're fat?  I've been all the way up and down and back up the scale in my adult life, and I know that it's easier for me to get in a good place with eating and exercise when I feel GOOD about myself, not when I'm in a shame spiral about my lazy fat self. And to add to that, the journey to lose weight when you're a very large person is long, and even when you've lost a lot of weight you are still fat for a long time.  We don't know if some of those women have just lost 50 pounds and are thrilled with their progress.  Should they not feel good about that until they're completely "done"?  

Of course it's not healthy to be obese.  We all know this.  But it is healthy in many other ways to accept your body for what it is today and to let yourself be loved by yourself and others.  Often that is the best catalyst of all for getting yourself in a healthy place physically.   

I find it kind of bizarre that someone would be more accepting of someone judging their child's health and well being over their appearance, but different strokes for different folks I'm sure. Regardless, I am curious why people on Facebook would be arguing over a plus size lingerie store. Who the hell outside of this crazy fitness broad would be against them? It's a store that appeals to a particular demographic of the population--where is the controversy coming from?
  • edited November 2013

Of course it's not healthy to be obese.  We all know this.  But it is healthy in many other ways to accept your body for what it is today and to let yourself be loved by yourself and others.  Often that is the best catalyst of all for getting yourself in a healthy place physically.   
    I think your comment above  is just not a message most people "decide" to agree with.  I agree what fit mom did could be offensive to some, many even.  I think self esteem is important and feeling good about yourself at any size is important.  
    I just think the message more prevalent in society is that "obese can be healthy and its okay, its not your fault."  in my opinion that is a dangerous message to spread. we are spending many healthcare dollars on children and adults obese and many choose to believe they are healthy.  it is a rare person that is obese and 100% healthy. 

I kind of agree. I think there has to be a happy medium between shaming and acceptance while celebrating body types beyond a size 2. An interesting story semi-related to obesity--I've known a fb friend since middle school. She's always been a heavy girl. She went to her yearly physical this year and her doctor told her she was obese and needed to lose 40lbs. She vented to it on Facebook how this doctor didn't know what she was talking about, she was only 180 (at 5'2) and big boned so that it wasn't so bad...and no less than thirty people convinced her the doctor was wrong. This Girl made it to her thirties Until a doctor told her that her weight wasn't normal for her height. She recently switched doctors to someone more "accepting."
  • edited November 2013
    No one is motivated to change their lifestyle when they're feeling judged and fat-shamed. I don't know, in my experience people who hate their bodies are the least likely to go to the gym and work out. Wasn't there a long-term study a few months ago that showed people who feel fat shamed are more likely to continue gaining weight than similar-sized people who do not feel fat shamed? I'll try to look for it.

ETA: Here it is. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/fat-shaming-weight-gain_n_3670560.html
  • KC_13 said:

I think your comment above  is just not a message most people "decide" to agree with.  I agree what fit mom did could be offensive to some, many even.  I think self esteem is important and feeling good about yourself at any size is important.  
    I just think the message more prevalent in society is that "obese can be healthy and its okay, its not your fault."  in my opinion that is a dangerous message to spread. we are spending many healthcare dollars on children and adults obese and many choose to believe they are healthy.  it is a rare person that is obese and 100% healthy. 

I kind of agree. I think there has to be a happy medium between shaming and acceptance while celebrating body types beyond a size 2. An interesting story semi-related to obesity--I've known a fb friend since middle school. She's always been a heavy girl. She went to her yearly physical this year and her doctor told her she was obese and needed to lose 40lbs. She vented to it on Facebook how this doctor didn't know what she was talking about, she was only 180 (at 5'2) and big boned so that it wasn't so bad...and no less than thirty people convinced her the doctor was wrong. This Girl made it to her thirties Until a
    doctor told her that her weight wasn't normal for her height. She recently
    switched doctors to someone more "accepting."

I was that size for most of my adult life (so about 10 years) until the past few months (down about 20 lbs) and not one doctor has ever said anything to me about my weight. If they did, I'd tell them I was well aware, but it doesn't surprise me that she was so taken aback. It's a shame, though.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • She's a sanctimonious bitch. I don't disagree that obesity is a problem in this country and we need to work towards a healthier lifestyle in general, but shaming people is generally an ineffective way to get your message across. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • But what did she say that was "shaming," exactly? What I got from the article is that she posted a comment about how she was frustrated with all the positive feedback the ad was getting, based on her belief that it celebrates and legitimizes a national health crises. That's not the same as making fun of someone or calling them names.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    But what did she say that was "shaming," exactly? What I got from the article is that she posted a comment about how she was frustrated with all the positive feedback the ad was getting, based on her belief that it celebrates and legitimizes a national health crises. That's not the same as making fun of someone or calling them names.
    She went to that store's facebook page to post a vent that shamed the entire customer base of that store. It wasn't productive advice about becoming fit, it was a rant decrying the women this store caters to.

As I said, I don't disagree that we need to address this health problem but she isn't doing anything to open communication.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ah, OK. I was thinking she just posted it on her on wall.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Ah, OK. I was thinking she just posted it on her on wall.
    me too, I didn't know that. yes then what she did was very rude but its not really nay more rude than any other thing people say about one group or another.

sheesh Im not overweight but am vastly out of shape. the first thing I thought when I saw that on FB was where her children go while she spends all that time bodybuilding and I felt bad for them!
    She claims they've never been with a nanny or in daycare. I assume she is a personal trainer or something like it and that's what's supporting them and her H is a SAHD. Sure, it's easy to look like that with 3 young children if you're paid to work out full time.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    me too, I didn't know that. yes then what she did was very rude but its not really nay more rude than any other thing people say about one group or another.

sheesh Im not overweight but am vastly out of shape. the first thing I thought when I saw that on FB was where her children go while she spends all that time bodybuilding and I felt bad for them!
    She claims they've never been with a nanny or in daycare. I assume she is a personal trainer or something like it and that's what's supporting them and her H is a SAHD. Sure, it's easy to look like that with 3 young children if you're paid to work out full time.
    OK, but see, this mentality bugs me, too. This idea that no normal person could possibly manage that. Sure they can, anyone can, if it's a priority. Don't make it out like that's just ridiculously unattainable for the average mom, because it's really not. I suppose there are some people who, due to medical conditions, could do intense exercise for an hour a day and really watch their diet and not see drastic change, but most people would. And most people could find that hour, if they really wanted to. You don't have to have a nanny and people paying you to do it.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:

OK, but see, this mentality bugs me, too. This idea that no normal person could possibly manage that. Sure they can, anyone can, if it's a priority. Don't make it out like that's just ridiculously unattainable for the average mom, because it's really not. I suppose there are some people who, due to medical conditions, could do intense exercise for an hour a day and really watch their diet and not see drastic change, but most people would. And most people could find that hour, if they really wanted to. You don't have to have a nanny and people paying you to do it.
    Fit and toned yes. As ripped as she is is very unlikely unless you have a lot more time to devote to it (and in my post I was referring to how she looks, not all fit and toned women). I eat well, I exercise for an hour 3-4 days a week when the girls are in school and I look pretty good but it would take a lot more to be as ripped as she is. 
  • KC_13 said:
    KC_13 said:

Really?  I don't.  Those are both very shitty judgmental things to say, and I daresay I would be more pissed about you calling me a lazy fattie.  

I already got into a FB fight with DH's friend over that plus-size lingerie store, so I don't need to relive it, but it really pisses me off that people are so up in arms about it, as though somehow a few pictures of happy fat women posing in their underwear are going to somehow unravel society's admiration for thin people.  Trust me, no matter how many news articles are written about it, no one is going to that page and thinking "wow, those women look so hot, I wish I was fatter so I could look like that."  Why are people so scared of the message that it's OK to feel good about yourself even if you're fat?  I've been all the way up and down and back up the scale in my adult life, and I know that it's easier for me to get in a good place with eating and exercise when I feel GOOD about myself, not when I'm in a shame spiral about my lazy fat self. And to add to that, the journey to lose weight when you're a very large person is long, and even when you've lost a lot of weight you are still fat for a long time.  We don't know if some of those women have just lost 50 pounds and are thrilled with their progress.  Should they not feel good about that until they're completely "done"?  

I find it kind of bizarre that someone would be more accepting of someone judging their child's health and well being over their appearance, but different strokes for different folks I'm sure. Regardless, I am curious why people on Facebook would be arguing over a plus size lingerie store. Who the hell outside of this crazy fitness broad would be against them? It's a store that appeals to a particular demographic of the population--where is the controversy coming from?
    Sorry I posted and ran; busy day today.  

Telling me I'm feeding my child poison if I give them formula is less offensive to me personally because I can more easily dismiss them as an ignorant fool.  I was a 100% formula fed baby, as was my brother, and I know plenty of other people who were as well.  We are all functional humans who made it to adulthood.  Calling someone a "lazy fattie" is a judgment on more than their appearance, thanks to the "lazy" part.  I am fat, sure, but I am by no means lazy.  I have always resented the implication that fat = lazy.  I'm fat because I struggle mightily with compulsive behavior surrounding food and eating, which has nothing to do with laziness.  

The argument I mentioned was similar to the one in this thread - DH's friend was horrified by the fact that people were reacting positively to the campaign run by this lingerie store, because it's sick and disgusting that obesity is becoming normalized in our society when it's such a dangerously unhealthy way to live.  From the other comments on his post, I got the overall sense that most of the people who agreed with him were disgusted by the images, thought these women were embarrassing themselves, and felt somehow threatened that fat acceptance was taking the world by storm.  The fact that there's any controversy over this whole stupid thing grinds me a lot - really, why should anyone on earth care if a few plus-sized ladies responded to requests to see what the store's products look like on people who aren't models?  

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• amy052006 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:

Fit and toned yes. As ripped as she is is very unlikely unless you have a lot more time to devote to it (and in my post I was referring to how she looks, not all fit and toned women). I eat well, I exercise for an hour 3-4 days a week when the girls are in school and I look pretty good but it would take a lot more to be as ripped as she is. 
    Exactly. Her kids are 1, 3, and 4. Give me a break. I think we covered in the last thread on her that the overwhelming majority of mothers could not achieve that even with a health lifestyle and regular exercise. Not to mention, you don't get that cut if you are breastfeeding. So maybe I just think she has fucked up priorities. I kind of feel ok saying that as she has no problem judging women who don't look like her. But again, she is on the record saying she "had" food issues. I think it's pretty obvious she still has major body image issues, not so much for how she looks, but her relentless harping on it in the public eye. I really think it sucks people are inspired by her, because at least to me it just seems to clear that she has issues. She's obviously looking to fill some sort of void.

This is bull!  I don't like this woman.  She's awful and I could never be friends with someone like her.  However, I am a fit mom.  I work out 7 days a week, run about 40 miles a week, lift and do abs every single day and I work full-time.  I am thin and extremely toned and have always worked out hard and taken care of myself. 

It doesn't mean I'm neglecting my child because I make this a huge priority in my life!!!!!  I work out at 5 a.m., on my lunch hour or after she is in bed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"