8 Weeks Pregnant
Options

When to tell family...

I need advice!  I am 8 weeks pregnant. I just found out 3 days ago and it was confirmed today at the doctor!  My husband and I are thrilled as this is our first! 

We live in a different state than our parents and will not be visiting them for one more month.  We cannot decide if we should try to wait to tell them in person, or tell them over the phone/Skype.

I would love to tell them in person, but don't want them to be hurt that we kept it for so long.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!! 

Thank you!!!!!!  

Re: When to tell family...

• Options

I come from a family that would have asked, "Why the heck did you wait this long to tell us?!" I am 8 weeks and we actually told our parents soon after finding out (about 6 weeks). I wouldn't hold back. You're happy, you want to share. Go for it!

...and trust me, that month is going to feel like a year if you try to hold it in!

Google cute ways to let out-of-state parents know. I read that one couple mailed their parents packages and asked them to open them while Skyping.

Good luck!!

• Options
    I too am pregnant with my first and my parents and in-laws live out of state. I knew at 3 1/2 weeks that I was pregnant but didn't tell family until 6 weeks because that was our next planned visit. Those couple of weeks felt like an eternity. If you won't see them until 12 weeks I'd go ahead and let them know now. Skype or FaceTime could be great so you can see their reactions! And record the reactions on a camera or phone. I did that with my parents and in-laws and the video I put together is priceless!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go ahead and tell them. Most people get upset if you wait. I didn't see my sister until I was 23 weeks with my last pregnancy and I waited to tell her because she would always say how tacky she thought it was not to tell some one in person. Needless to say she was very upset. I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow with my 6th child and I've learned that doing what my husband & I feel is best for us is most important. So if you're excited and want to share, go for it!  And best of luck for a healthy happy pregnancy and baby!
  • Options
    ryj3ryj3 member
    I am pregnant now with my third child and my husband and I are waiting until the second trimester to tell everyone. We have made this decision because between my first two kids I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks. We had already told everyone and having to go through telling them we miscarried was not easy. As they told people too, I would see someone out and they would ask how my pregnancy was coming and I would have to bring up the miscarriage all over again. So that is why we are waiting this time.
  • Options
    I would tell them on Skype. Everyone has different ideas of when to tell people. We choose to tell close friends and family early because they are the people we depend on for help and support through the sickness and potential for miscarriage.
  • Options
    We're waiting until Christmas - it will be 2 weeks after the first ultrasound and we should hear a heartbeat and stuff, which is important to us (even though there's no history of miscarriage).

I've never heard of family members being upset because you waited until week 12, but I think my mom would be upset if we didn't tell her in person.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"