October 2013 Moms

does your LO watch tv?

just out of curiosity, do you sit your LO in front of the TV? My FI and I are both still out of work and the tv is usually on when we are home. I try to turn the swing away from it but she turns her head to watch it.

Re: does your LO watch tv?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not really given the chance, but occasionally the flicker of it catches his attention.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is definately interested in the TV when it catche her eye but most of the time she's too far away or too low to really see it. If she's particularly fussy and I really need to eat, pee, wash dishes, etc., I'll park her in her swing right in front of it and she'll chill out (and sometimes fall asleep.). At this age i really don't care if she watches tv. She's more making sense of the sound, movement, images etc.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • we typically only watch if she is asleep...like now!
  • Yeah she stares at it. I usually turn her away.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Georgia loves hockey lol

imageimage    

• Yeah, his favorite show right now is Duck Dynasty. Lol

I think he likes our fireplace better. Last night he wouldn't stop fussing, as soon as I laid him on a blanket in front of the FP he instantly stopped. He loved the sound and the colors!
  • She's not really interested in it. She loves her ocean bubbler in her crib way more! If I need to shower, I fire that baby up.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• No. I don't watch a lot and if so mainly when she's sleeping. Besides that she stares at random things: side of the PnP, top of the swing, the dog if she's on the floor
  • I can't believe some people are worried about this already. Our tv is on 24/7 even at night in bed. I do have her facing away from the TV then so the changing lights don't wake her up. The only time she looks at the TV is if I have her facing forward while I'm sitting. I never really thought about her being able to look at the TV though .
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Jalee85 said:

I can't believe some people are worried about this already. Our tv is on 24/7 even at night in bed. I do have her facing away from the TV then so the changing lights don't wake her up. The only time she looks at the TV is if I have her facing forward while I'm sitting. I never really thought about her being able to look at the TV though .

I never thought much about it but my friend recently told me that watching tv at a young age was linked to autism. I have no idea if it's true but it just stuck in my mind
  • No.  Even my 2.5 yo just started watching TV last summer.  We more or less followed the "no tv until 2" rule of thumb.  We broke it very occasionally.  Like the time she had lice and we needed to distract her to clean our her hair.  :/
  • carawasa said:

Jalee85 said:

I can't believe some people are worried about this already. Our tv is on 24/7 even at night in bed. I do have her facing away from the TV then so the changing lights don't wake her up. The only time she looks at the TV is if I have her facing forward while I'm sitting. I never really thought about her being able to look at the TV though .

I never thought much about it but my friend recently told me that watching tv at a young age was linked to autism. I have no idea if it's true but it just stuck in my mind
    That makes me think more about it too... However, it seems everything is linked to autism now.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• carawasa said:

Jalee85 said:

Are you friends with Jenny McCarthy?
    Haha
  • So for those of you who don't allow your child to watch TV until they are older. Do you not watch TV at all until they go to bed? I'm just curious.
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• baconface said:

I don't think that the concerns about screen-watching at this young an age has to do with the content of what is on tv - it has to do with the fact that their brains are still developing and a lot of studies have shown that it is the wrong kind of stimulation for them - fast blinking images, etc.

I am not really against TV but I am going to avoid letting DD get much screen time (includes iPad, phone, computer, etc) until she is at least 2.

Ditto! I did a study on this in college and the overstimulation is not good. Also, if children are parked in front of a screen when they can actually be entertained by it, this lessens the time they are using their imaginations. When a child plays with toys, notice the conversations they make up. Often they are working through something they have experienced. This play time is when children learn coping skills.

As for me, my child will be most likely behind his peers when it comes to technology. Tv will be in limited doses and he will not have an ipad at four nor will he be handed my smart phone for entertainment. He will have to do what I did as a child when I was bored....just deal. Color, draw or read!

• DD loved watching the TV when she was a baby, so I would try to limit her viewing angles except for The Price is Right.  She loved all the colors, so I would purposely park her in front of it so I could get 20 minutes to myself to eat lunch.  We started letting her watch Yo Gabba Gabba (because it's awesome) when she was about 2.  Now we limit her shows to the time between dinner and bedtime, so about 2 hours worth each day?  I also approve the shows/channels (no Dora in this house!).

So far, DS isn't interested in the TV at all.  He's more fascinated by the shadows the trees make against the honeycomb blinds in our family room.

m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We limit screen time til age 1. Then a cartoon here and there. I must say my 3 year old has learned awesome vocabulary through done cartoons like bubble guppies. He threw out the word "marsupial" the other day and used it in context.
    Due October 29
  • Yes, she watches it... Even when we try to turn her away from it.
  • Hell no, you are in control if your infant looks it not wtf. My first watched nothing until 18 months , and limited at that (still think that was too early ). I feel bad for babies stuck in front if TVs ugh

• Jalee85 said:

So for those of you who don't allow your child to watch TV until they are older. Do you not watch TV at all until they go to bed? I'm just curious.

We rarely had it on during the day during awake time , I was too busy . So yes on at night

• Jalee85 said:

So for those of you who don't allow your child to watch TV until they are older. Do you not watch TV at all until they go to bed? I'm just curious.

We would have it but would redirect her if she tried watching. Honestly, I think it helped her be less interested because it was just background. When I had DD home with me alone, I rarely had the TV on. Day time is boring and I preferred a good book anyway. When we were both home and TV was on, I had (and still have) a strict rule that nothing disturbing could be on in case she caught a glimpse.

• Ditto to the no screens. We only very recently started letting dd watch tv/screens, and that's when she was about 18 mos. we only started bc I was too pregnant/exhausted and needed to get things done.

@jalee85, I watch no tv when I am with dd (21mos), but if I'm desperate, need to take care of baby, I might turn it on for 15 mins tops. When it's just me and ds, I watch tv, but that's cause he is little enough where I can control where he looks. He sleeps on my chest while I watch tv.

• Also. I haven't heard about an autism link. But I have heard about an ADHD correlation.
  • We rarely watch tv, so no.  In the rare instance it is on (background noise) he has never seemed interested.
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Some friends and family I know had LOs watching TV from a couple weeks old and the have learning disabilities bordering on autism, so I'd rather be safe than sorry! We only let DD1 watch baby signing time videos around 9 mos to learn sign language. She loved the songs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"