2nd Trimester

Lopressor/blood pressure meds while pregnant?

Hi ladies,
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had problems with blood pressure during pregnancy? My blood pressure is low and my heart rate too high so my doctor prescribed me to Lopressor. The medication works wonders and I can actually function now but I'm so scared as to what the side effects might be on the baby. Has anyone else taken this medication during pregnancy and if so were there any effects on the baby?

Re: Lopressor/blood pressure meds while pregnant?

• My doctor tells me it's completely safe so that makes me feel better. I tried to do research but there hasn't been a lot of documented use of Lopressor during pregnancy. It is a class C medication and I read that the baby will need to be monitored for 48 hours after birth to make sure that the heart beat and blood pressure are in a safe range. I have more questions about it for my doctor but after hearing the baby's heart beat for the first time at my last appointment I forgot everything I meant to ask her lol.

Thanks for the input :D
  • Beta-blockers are a-okay.  I'm on one as well.  Make sure they keep an eye on the baby's HR and blood pressure, but she should do great.  They are "theoretically" class C, but I can tell you they are safe enough for a newborn/NICU baby so likely fine in utero as well.

Feel better!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok thank you, I can now breathe a sigh of relief lol. I am a worrier by nature but this makes me feel much better :D
  • My doc put me on Lopressor for my high blood pressure, fingers crossed that it won't have an effect on the baby, but the effects of high blood pressure are worse :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diagnosed with POTS a few years back. Google it, but it is a form of low blood pressure and in general it is easily managed but with pregnancy it becomes A LOT worse. I passed out twice in my pregnancy with my son and once so far with this baby. I am on a med called fludrocortisone and it does wonders. It helps takes the edge off and make it so i dont have to sit 5 times while doing dishes. Part of the POTS is the fast heart rate too so you might want to look into it. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    imageimage 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you guys :D I Googled POTS and it's something I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about because I have all the symptoms. It could be a coincidence but if there is a chance I do have it I would rather know now. I thought I was feeling better but I've been so sick this week and almost passed out a couple times, I think she might have to run some more tests but I would like to get to the bottom of this so that I don't have any surprises when it comes time to deliver the baby and I am so worried about the baby's health :(

• Beta blockers are safest AFTER the first trimester. 

• It is safe. I was on labetalol last pregnancy
  • So, just so I'm clear, you've been taking a medicine without researching side effects at all? Your doctor didn't go over any of this & you didn't ask?

Why? I'm not snarking or trying to be rude. I'm genuinely curious why you are choosing now to advocate for yourself vs. getting all the information from your medical professional vs. the internet? It makes no sense.

To answer your question here:
    https://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/hydrochlorothiazide-metoprolol.html

Please speak with your medical professional about any & all drugs you are taking. You have a right to informed consent & advocate for you & your baby.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"