Breastfeeding
Options

Problems nursing - 3 months

My son has been a champion nurser since birth, but in the last week, he's been very fussy. Seems to prefer the right breast, which I know can be normal and I'm doing all the things I've read about to get him to accept the left (nurse when he's sleepy, change holds, nurse while rocking/swaying/bouncing/walking etc.), but now he can be fussy on the right side too. I offer both sides and keep him at each for as long as he'll take it. He takes a bottle just fine, doesn't show any symptoms of being sick or having an ear infection, and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. Almost every meal is a struggle now and I'm a little at my wits end trying to figure it out. So far I feel like I've been managing to make sure he gets enough to eat, but it's a lot of work. I Any ideas what this could be or how to help? At this point, I'm so stressed and turned around, I can't tell if its a growth spurt or a strike or nursing preference or what. TIA. And FWIW, I do plan to go to a BF support group next week, but it feels like a long time from now.
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Problems nursing - 3 months

• Options
    My 3 MO is doing the same exact thing!!! I wish I had some answers, but I dont. Just know you're not alone!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BFP #1: Mother's Day 5/13/12...m/c Memorial Day Weekend 5/26/12 

BFP #2: 2/16/13...Owen Ray born 6 weeks early 9/9/13

photo e0fadb54-1cd9-4c5f-8086-5e25d4789dbe_zps5ef23e41.jpg
  • Options
    It helps just to know its not just my weird kid. If I get answers from outside I'll post them for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    LJUTCMommyLJUTCMommy member
    edited November 2013
    Do you think you might have an over active let down? I have that issue and block feeding has really helped. By only nursing one side at each feed it has slowed the flow so DD can handle her feeds better. Laid back nursing also works for some babies.

There is also a crazy 3 month growth spurt, so I wouldn't rule that out either.

• Options
    Every couple months DD would seem to figure out a bit more about the world and would be really fussy for a week or two if I tried to get her to nurse. I also think the more they take a bottle the less they'll want to nurse because nursing takes more time and a bit more energy on their part. Keep offering! You'll get through this.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your support. I think I may have figured it out! My mom suggested that it might be his gums. I tried giving him some of those frozen chewy keys when he was screaming today and I've never seen him chill so fast. Then I read this article: https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/week-24/teething.aspx I was so in my own head about the nursing and what could be causing it, I didn't even think to factor in all the chomping and drooling he's been doing. I haven't tried soothing his gums before a feeding yet, but I will tomorrow. @scamberlous3000, I hope this helps you too.

• Options
    My boy did this also at one point and it was SO frustrating. He fussed and screamed on the left boob for a few days then he went back to normal. Since then, though, I've started nursing him on the left first since I know he prefers the right because the flow is faster. This seems to help and makes sure my supply is relatively even on both sides.

Hope this is just a phase for your LO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"