December 2013 Moms
Options

Offending people

We have been invited to a number of large parties lately for thanksgiving etc. I have politely declined hugs and kisses from people because I just don't want to get sick this close to delivery. I feel really bad and some people seem to get really offended. We have 2 more big parties coming up and I just feel bad to upset people but don't need 30+ people's germs either. : (

Re: Offending people

• Options
    I don't blame you. I honestly plan to avoid most parties this month - I'm just NOT into it - too tired, too many people, too much noise, ehhh....just rather be at home!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yeah...if you're already at the party with people who might be sick, you'll more than likely get those germs just from being in the same room and touching the same surfaces, etc.
  • Options
    I can definitely understand kisses, but hugs I would say are ok... Plus, if it's airborn rather than transmitted via saliva or touching your mouth/nose/eyes, nothing will save you unfortunately, unless you put yourself in a bubble... I agree with PP that the best line of defense is to just keep washing your hands.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Washing hands, bring hand sanitizer with you.

I don't actually like hugs anyway, so I tend to avoid them year round. Do whatever makes you worry the least amount.
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    Agree that hugs are safe. Kisses definitely not. But I don't kiss anyone except DH and my pets so I'd be safe there. Wash your hands lots, and don't share food, drinks, or utensils. I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Daisypath - (d3qY)
    Lilypie - (ATx7)

• Options
    I have hubby's Christmas party Friday. I couldn't imagine telling people to stay back. I don't like hugs to begin with but I don't refuse them pregnant or not.
    Nothing is more awkward than me coming up trying to give you a ihg and you tell me no. I would be slightly offended as well
  • Options
    Nrg2020 said:

Just tell them you are feeling sickly and don't want to get them sick and avoid their hugs and kisses.

This is what I was going to suggest.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    ColeRose said:
    Honestly I find that a little strange, if you are that concerned about germs just don't go.
    I can honestly say it's right up there with one of the oddest things on the board. I couldn't imagine saying "Sorry, no hugging, you might get me sick" 
  • Options
    KateMW said:

I'm in the "why go if you're that worried" camp. A hug isn't going to get you sick, unless you hug a completely different way than most people.

When I got pregnant, my young niece and nephew wanted to know how the baby got in there. My sister said it was from a "special hug" that moms and dads do. Cracks me up. But OP should be fine, since she's already pregnant.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Lol I admit I'm a germ a phobe and its even worse now since so close to delivery. Sounds like I should just stay put and avoid crowds! Family are kissers as well as huggers so that's why I was worried mostly. I just don't want the flu.
  • Options
    Yeah I find that strange but everyone is different
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • Options
    Lol I admit I'm a germ a phobe and its even worse now since so close to delivery. Sounds like I should just stay put and avoid crowds! Family are kissers as well as huggers so that's why I was worried mostly. I just don't want the flu.
    Did you have a flu shot? I work around snotty nose kids all day who will hug without warning. If you have had a flu shot, you should be relatively safe. No it's not total protection, but you are already in the room with them...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you don't want a hug, you don't want a hug. Who cares if people want to hug you and you don't want them to. You're prego! You get to be the queen. When they are creating a life inside them they can decline whatever they want. Until then I don't want to hear any complaints out of anybody. Give it them straight. But not to close up because then they'll be breathing their cooties in your face and that's no good either.
  • Options

If you don't want a hug, you don't want a hug. Who cares if people want to hug you and you don't want them to. You're prego! You get to be the queen. When they are creating a life inside them they can decline whatever they want. Until then I don't want to hear any complaints out of anybody. Give it them straight. But not to close up because then they'll be breathing their cooties in your face and that's no good either.

Please tell me you're not serious.
  • Options
    Lol to Queen Prego. I wish I could be there when you walk into a room, asking people not to breathe on you.

• Options
    peitri said:

What? My pregnancy did not come with a tiara. This is weird advice.

Weird advice plus we're still talking about the deadly complications from A HUG...

• Options
    Plus, your immune system better be strong enough to handle these germs. If it isn't, maybe you're missing some key nutrients?
  • Options
    Was a bit tongue in cheek ladies. My point is, if you don't want people touching you, people shouldn't be touching you. It's not such a big thing. If you are slightly hormonal and a touch touchy about being touched so be it- life will go on for all involved.
  • Options

Was a bit tongue in cheek ladies. My point is, if you don't want people touching you, people shouldn't be touching you. It's not such a big thing. If you are slightly hormonal and a touch touchy about being touched so be it- life will go on for all involved.

A synonym for touch mightve been nice here

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"